The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux. - Page 918

Thread: The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux.

While working on my project and working on Wight Aircraft I came across the picture from post 11880 on Oct 3, 2015. The pix I found was on Wiki which doesn't lead to 100% confidence. This time they caption stated it was the Wight Baby. Back in 2015 we didn't come up with an answer. I have the Wight book by Goodall. The info states that 3 were made but have only found pixs confirmed of 9097/8 not one of 9100 the first aircraft.
    The pix on the plus side:

The fuselage looks the same, the attachment points for the float supports seem the same as does the attachment points for the top wing. Did say the tried a two bladed prop. The floats seem the same and the tailplane is similar.
    The wing is different as it's two bay and only described as one bay in the info. The float struts are arranged different.

So has anyone seen a confirmed pix of 9100?

As with current discussion I do have the Aussie books Vol 1,2 which I got I think for $40/each on sale. If anyone needs some info from them.
    Also know several aviation book authors and it's not a full time job making aviation books.

Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WOTApril29.jpg  

Still working on the floater, Chris. Don't think it is the Wight baby - far too many differences from the other prototypes, and no mention in any of the sources I have of such a machine.

Re your new mystery -a rather tired and tatty biplane - intrigued by the underwing markings - Guatemala ?

Not central america just good old USA.

Chris

The reveal: Elias TA-1

Open House

Chris

Well Chris floored us there. It's getting difficult to find flying machines that haven't been posted here before, but i couldn't find any mention of this one, which just has to be included for its sheer elegance........(and it's nice and grainy) Sophisticated cockpit entry system too..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails veryuglybug.jpg  

Is the 'sophisticated cockpit entry system' what is commonly known as a ladder?

It has a look of Martinsyde about it - but I doubt that it is.

It's the Hanriot HD 18

Jim got it

Another 'police colonial' machine so beloved of the French...

Jim got it

Another 'police colonial' machine so beloved of the French...must have been pretty claustrophobic in there, Gauloise fumes and all, and no windows.........

Thanks ! ....... claustrophobic indeed ! Here's a more open design .....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sturtevant_battleplane.jpg  

Sturtevant AllSteel Batleplane

Chris

to Chris for the Battleplane - certainly plenty of fresh air to be had in those wing positions - over to you !

Thought this one had been used before but couldn't find it in search.

Well known company.

Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WOTMay3.jpg  

That's the one test rig.

Over to you

Chris

Thanks ! OH please .......

Guys, I hope you don't mind when I enter the Open House with a biplane that I'm unable to identify.

The photo is on a French or maybe Belgian Postcard ("Carte Postale" on the backside).

At first look i thought this biplane might be East-European, the elliptical wings with its pointed wing tips look similar to some Polish types. However, I couldn't find this aircraft in the book "Polish Aircraft 1893-1939"
    I had a look in the following books as well, without result:
    "Romanian Aeronautical Constructions",
    "L'Aviation Legère en France 1920 -1942",
    "British Light Aeroplanes",
    "Aviones Espanoles del Siglio XX"
    "Das Buch der deutschen Luftfahrttechnik"

At aviadejavu I went through any single-engined biplane (except for Russia and Japan) from 1920 to 1939, also without success.

The engine looks like a Walter Mars I when compared to e.g. an ANBO 3 (https://www.plienosparnai.lt/e107_fi...anbo_3_003.jpg), but that didn't help me as well.

Below the wing it looks that there might be the letter "D" or "O", but that is not 100% certain. If true, possible registrations would be from Germany, Belgium, Denmark, Finland or Tchechoslovakia.

I hope with the combined knowledge of this forum we are able to identify this mystery. Any suggestions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img615a3.jpg  

Hi Robert - before I even read the description, I reckoned I saw an 'H' under the wing ! Agree with you about the Walter Major.

Did some digging, came up with the Fizir FN - same engine, but wings and strutting wrong. But angles make the wing shape different, as in this shot. Check also the very similar gear set -up.

Someone is bound to get it, eh ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fizirFN.jpg  

Thank you for your input, Mike!

Now, I think that trace deserves attention. I dismissed Fizir already because of the shape of the wings, but from this angle they look indeed very similar.
    At least this is the closest similarity I could get so far.

If the letter under the wing is an "H", then Hungary could be a possibility as well.

The search goes on...

Ok, let's do a new mystery very similar to the unknown biplane from above but from which I now the solution.

If anybody thinks to have a clue or the solution to the mystery from above, please don't hesitate to write here or send me a PM.

Here is my new mystery.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 80A76268-BB32-4346-9B18-D3C04A7F816D.jpg  

A one-off from a well-known European manufacturer.

Unsuccessful evolution of a widely used trainer in that country of which several hundred were built.

Engine is a Walter.

It is the Breda Ba.26.

The reason why I chose the Breda is the similarity to my unknown biplane from above. An unknown Italian type?

Over to Chris.

Something modern for a change

Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WOTMay6.jpg