The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux. - Page 938

Thread: The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux.

The designer secured a contract to build this for the Army in 1917. On it's first flight the pilot lost control and crashed. He was unhurt but the prototype was written off.

This one had a novel feature with an adjustable wing. Three builds from this designer and that was that.

I have it as Witteman-Lewis model TT
    _
    gX

Maybe the Lanzius L.1?

Robert's eyes are younger and better than mine
    _
    gX

It is the oddball Lanzius.

Over to Germany.

Thanks, Kevin.

Here is something more modern, I'd like to know the aircraft on the left.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SOH300821.jpg  

I have a sense of déjà vu on looking at that photograph. But probably I'm quite mistaken! But just in case, is Algeria the location of the photograph?

Don't know the exact location, Mike, but what I can say for sure is that the picture was taken in Europe.

Looks Comte AC.8ish?

Now, a Comte AC.8 should look like a Comte AC.8.

It is the HB-ABU next to the Puss Moss HB-ABA.

Back to Texas again.

Here is one a few years older than the Comte.

Toughie, Kevin. Clues very few. I'll plump for American - possible Alexander Eaglerock, as they had no trailing-edge cutouts in upper wings ?

USA it is Mike but not an Alexander. It's younger stablemate went unguessed a couple of years back as well. This one appeared about the time Lindy was becoming a famous aviator.

Could this be a Pheasant H-10? On most photos the type has I-struts and not N-struts as shown here.

Robert the bird watcher. I thought it had an ambiguous look to it.

Ping pong to Germany.

I hope the other members haven't quit the game, I never did like ping pong very much

Let's try this biplane.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails E56FC6C3-7D53-4CA3-9D86-B81B7D8CA7EC.jpg  

What happened to that propeller? It looks cropped!
    _
    gX

I really don't know, Uli. The photo is the only thing I have.

I don't know the airplane type but the prop is a "test club". Used to run in new or overhauled engines. Usually in a test cell but , as seen, you can use the airplane. I guess that's why the cowlings are off and a mech is looking on.

NormB

That is a good clue!
    Indeed this seems to be a test run since on most other photos the biplane has a cowled engine.

A European one-off from a small but well-known company.

Probably the most successful aircraft of this company was a reconnaissance aircraft that was built a few dozen (!) times. This was the only indigenious design that took (briefly) part in WW2.
    Last edited by fabulousfour; September 1st, 2021 at 07:15.

First flight of this one-off was 1933 or 1934, depending on the source.

First engine was an Armstrong Siddeley Lynx but later (as probably shown in the picture) an in-house developed engine was fitted.

Enough clues, Robert ! Should have had this one earlier - it's the Renard R-34. Here it is with the Renard motor.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Renard R-34.jpg  

Thanks for releasing me, Mike!

It is the Renard R-34 from

Slainte

Members who have read this thread: 84