The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux. - Page 939

Thread: The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux.

Thanks Robert. Recently we had the slightly anorexic-looking Guillemin - here is something from a different source, but just as minimalist in design !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails unlovely.jpg  

..... and what did the constructor do with the rest of his Nº 10 Meccano set?

Well he stuck a Bristol engine on the front..the plane is from a well-known smaller manufacturer, European (amazingly, considering its aesthetics, not French!)

Built a bewildering variety of models for various purposes, military and commercial. Mostly different in character but one or two did have this type of empennage.....

Sure looks like the Caspar C.23, but have not found a photo with that engine selection.

That's because it's the C.26, Kevin. Bristol Lucifer 100hp. Please proceed !

How did I miss that? I have a reasonable amount of Caspar stuff.

Charity from Mike, proceeding on.

Is that Santa Claus and a reindeer on the bows of that boat?

Looks like something from the land of mystery.

Like a Coutant RMC17 without a top wing.

Chris

Not sure what the graphic is on the boat. Not a Coutant but is of French origin circa 1916.

I know where Chris is coming from, but that tail unit is pure FBA Type H....( as is the engine mounting)

Lefty swoops in for the kill.

This was a curious one wing variant of a Type H.

Can't find any other reference to that one at all - interesting.

Here is a rather neat two-seater with a distinctive rear end.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wfs4466.jpg  

West European, 100hp Continental. Mid 60's

That elongated, slim rear fuselage suggests that René Fournier might have had a hand in its design. But if so, it's not one of his designs of which I am aware. Thus probably I'm barking up the wrong tree - yet again!

No Fournier connection a.f.a.i.k.,but it is French. I have subsequently found out it has been here before, some 10 years or so ago, when it was rightly I/D'd by our dear departed Dutch friend.

I'll leave it on for a while, then an early night - our annual escape to the sun is starting tomorrow.

There is a very useful site in the www where most applications of horizontal opposed engines in aircraft are listed.

http://www.enginehistory.org/Piston/HOAE/Contents.html

Going to the Continental-page I found a French aircraft that I never heard of before. So I did some google search and, Eureka, it is mentioned at the secretprojects-forum.

This is the

Boillon JAB.60 Fulmo F-PKXS

and it seems to be the third (!) time to be listed here.

BTW: Strangely enough, if you type Boillon or Fulmo in the search function in the secretprojects-forum there is no hit at all, you have to do a google search.

Huh, it appears that I managed to overlook it twice whilst checking through Pierre Gaillard's book. The only excuse that I can offer is that, Mike, your photograph is much larger and much clearer than the photograph there!

Robert's detective work wins the day - and cold beers will be needed in Europe if the forecasts are correct -

IN fact, every time we leave on a sun-seeking holiday, the weather improves at home. Maybe I can persuade the Government to subsidise us....

Going to Madeira again, Mike? Hope you will have a relaxing vacation.

Let's try something in colour.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 92461C85-09C9-46BE-95F1-AD4FA71C91E1.jpg  

Not from the US and not a one-off.

European, about 100 of this version were built.

First flight of the basic type was 1965, this version has a Lycoming engine with 160 hp.

Partenavia Charlie?

It is the Partenavia Charlie, the aerobatic version of the Oscar, which looks slightly different.

Over to you, Mike.

Thank you, Robert. The penny dropped when I asked myself the question - in which European country did they make Cessna 172 lookalikes. It didn't take long after that!

Now here's a smart two seater, from the 'deep south', to be going on with!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eddie.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	84254