The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux. - Page 864

Thread: The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux.

Could be German

Quote Originally Posted by Moses03 View Post
    Thanks Mike. Moving on with a curious one

Perhaps a Klemm. KL25 or KL35D

Maybe a Klemm, KL25, or KL35D

I was going to say that it just demonstrates that graffiti is not a modern problem!

Not a Klemm, sorry.

Caudron it is. No word on the graffiti artist...

Over to Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Moses03 View Post
    No word on the graffiti artist...
    I did think of the possibility of it being a Banks S.1

On a more serious note, what is the source of the photograph, when was it taken and what is the location?
    Last edited by pomme homme; September 9th, 2020 at 11:43.

a low winger now

Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WOTSep9.jpg  

That looks very much like the IPT-8 Junior from

That's it didn't last long

Chris

Guys, I hope you don't mind when I ask for some help regarding the latest aviaquiz.
    That photo looks familiar somehow, nevertheless I can't find an aircraft where that part could belong to.

One problem is that I even can't say what kind of aircraft can be seen in that photo: a helicopter, a plane or something completely different?

Could anybody of you guys put me in the right direction, please?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 22052463-11E7-4403-A32C-0A4208B14B46.jpeg  

To me, it looks like a steel frame, canvas covered aeroplane. Maybe an AOP Auster, a Piper Cub or similar? Is it the seemingly gauze panel that you're being challenged to identify, Robert, in the quiz on the other forum? If so, the cover to a ventilator or a loudspeaker or suchlike?

Thanks for your input, Mike!
    I thought about the gauze panel as well and that might be the cover of a loudspeaker or something similar, however, that doesn't ring a bell.
    But you may be right that this is a part of a light plane. It was my opinion that the right part of the photo with all that windows would show a part of a glazed nose of an aircraft, but it might be that it just shows an entry door.
    So maybe a single-engined high-winger?

The search goes on and keeping a glazed nose in my mind...

Quote Originally Posted by pomme homme View Post

On a more serious note, what is the source of the photograph, when was it taken and what is the location?

Mike:

http://www.aviationcorner.net/show_p....asp?id=406414

Thank you, Kevin. That's most interesting (although, because I have no Spanish, I had to use google translate to understand the caption). Furthermore, I now realise why I was barking up the wrong tree when trying to identify the Aiglon Senior. I had noticed the capital letters on the rear fuselage, forward of the tailplane, and was seeking to find an aircraft manufacturer with a name starting with the letters LEVAN. Little did I know that it was a reference to, presumably, the Republican Army flying school in Eastern Spain (i.e. the Levante). But I'm still no wiser about the graffiti/camouflage scheme!

Robert- Not sure what the quiz photo could be. Maybe an autogyro or helicopter at first glance. The window framing is a good clue I suppose.

Ok, to keep things going here is another mystery, shouldn't be too difficult.

If anybody has a good idea or even the solution regarding the unknown craft above, please feel free to post it here, that mystery from aviaquiz will be solved on Sunday at 20:57 UTC.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SOH-260.jpg  

There are a lot of variations, maybe a Monocoupe 70?

It is a Monocoupe 70 in British service.

Over to you, Kevin.

Robert

in regards to the Monocoupe. I have reference to the UK using Monocoupe L-7A maybe taken from the French. Since pix is in with military aircraft looking for more info. Unadulterated pix also and G- number.

Thanks

Chris

Leaving aside any imported in more modern times, as far as I am aware there was only one British Monocoupe 70, G-AADG, which was broken up at Gatwick in 1947. The only other pre-war British monocoupe was a 110 (G-ABBR).

Thanks Robert. Didn't know the Brits had one in service.

Here is one from the heavy grain bin...

Regarding the Monocoupe this is what I have from the article in Aeroplane 7/2006:

"Produced by Mono Aircraft Inc of Illinois, USA, this Monocoupe 70 tandem two-seater was built in 1928 and registered G-AADG in December. In 1931 it was fitted with an 80 h.p. Armstrong Siddeley Genet II radial engine and was flown throughout the 1930s. Although it survived the war in storage, it was broken up at Gatwick in 1947".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Monocoupe 70, Aeroplane July 2006.jpg  

It appears that G-AADG had gone by the time the attached letters were published in a 1947 edition of The Aircraft Spotter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gatwick wrecks '47.jpg  

The 'lil tricycle gear job featured a wout (Walter) engine. It is still around on display in a museum.

First flown in 1948. From an Eastern European country.

Edit:

There is a red herring somewhere in this photo.

Members who have read this thread: 90