FSX... Vista... Catalist Control Center -ATI

Thread: FSX... Vista... Catalist Control Center -ATI

harleyman

FSX... Vista... Catalist Control Center -ATI

These are my vista settings for FSX on my little vista machine (64)

Keep in mind my vid card and slower memory, as your settings might need tweaked some ..

Anybody want to comment on the new "LCD overdrive" in the latest catalyst?
    I ran across a few post,mostly techno babble I couldnt understand but the jist of them was it was a gimmick.
    Thanks for the above. Mostly identical to mine except my native res is 1920x1080. I run the highrst global res per Nick.Mesh COMPLEX 100% No vehicles, no higher than 25% ai with MytrafficX and the new heli ai program.
    Also unlimited frame rate.

I'm still messing around with my 4850 card and Vista 64 on this i7. I'll be glad when I get on the backside of this learning curve!

If I had known a 3800 series card would be better than what I have now...

harleyman
    Quote Originally Posted by p14u2nv View Post
    I'm still messing around with my 4850 card and Vista 64 on this i7. I'll be glad when I get on the backside of this learning curve!

If I had known a 3800 series card would be better than what I have now...

There is nothing in this set up that would give FSX trouble..You have a great card ..

If you are having FSX issues I would look into your i7 first..Its a powerful system..but no Holy Grail for FSX AND CAN be a real bear to set FSX up to operate well...

Well so far Harley I can not complain. This i7 seems to do just fine and I seem to average right around 22-30 fps and it is smooth and flows very well. I did a mild overclock on this card and it did improve the graphics aspect with no more blurries, the few I had anyway. Happy camper here with FSX. And yes my FSX internal settings are just as you have posted here although I did increase the cars, boats etc somewhat more. I pushed as far as it would let me go and when I saw a drop in clarity or frame rates I simply backed off some. I believe cars is now at 60% and boats at 70%, approx. that is. I haven't added much to the stock FSX except freeware aircraft. Maybe one day I will get some other ground effects for enhancing what I see. For now though I fly to fly and not sight see! Although I do keep an eye peeled for excellent scenery that is listed as a "must have!"

I too run a native resolution like JIMJAM, 1920 x 1080 and have followed Nick N's guides for unlimited FPS and settings for global resolutions. The settings for this 4850 512 is as follows; GPU clock for now is 690 MHz with the Mem clock set at 1188 MHz. This seems to do very well for just a mild push! Temp is 77 C at 95% CPU use. Not too bad but I suspect that temp is not accurate. When I have more time I will get another setup for measuring the temp but for now I'll make do so to speak.!

I haven't messed with this new LCD Overdrive as of yet. I'm running with the outlook of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" but in time I will again start tweaking but with decent add ons. For now I am well pleased. I'm sure if I added all sorts of scenery my fps would be much different. Who knows but one thing is for sure, time will tell. What is it with these flight sims that we are never content and always looking for improvement and just have to fiddle with any and all settings constantly? Lol...what a hobby we have gentleman!

harleyman
    Yes...it is a rather strange obsession we all have...LOl

Glad that your i7 is smokin..Good to hear...

I'm certainly no techy but why, if the ATI 3800 series is a DX10 doesn't it show the Direct 10 preview option in your settings dialogue? Just curious as I'm having to replace my computer-it just died (on laptop now), and am looking at a new video card.

harleyman
    This set of screenshots is from a XP machine..

DX10 Preview is only for Vista ...

Quote Originally Posted by harleyman View Post
    This set of screenshots is from a XP machine..

DX10 Preview is only for Vista ...
    I see-your post said "vista machine (64)" so that's why I was wondering. I'm thinking of ordering a new computer with a AMD Phenom II x4 with ATI HD 4850 graphics card. Any thoughts on this combination?

harleyman
    You are correct..i did say Vista...opppsss But the settings are the same...Sorry bout that..

The Phoenoms you are refering to come in a CPU rating from

2.5 Ghz to 3.2 Ghz ( most are at 3.0)

If its the 2.5 Ghz CPU its probably not enough....Being off the shelf the bios overclocking features may be locked ...

The 4850's are all nice , they have 256 bit and DDR3
    some are 512 and some are 1 Gig....So you need to know more about that ...but its a good card none the less...

Intel still rules in FSX IMO.....

So more along the lines of that you have options.....

It boils all down to CPU..Mem...Graphics..Etc..

Post a link to it and I'll have a look at all the speeds and its set up and can better give my opinion...

You are correct..i did say Vista...opppsss But the settings are the same...Sorry bout that..

The Phoenoms you are refering to come in a CPU rating from

2.5 Ghz to 3.2 Ghz ( most are at 3.0)

If its the 2.5 Ghz CPU its probably not enough....Being off the shelf the bios overclocking features may be locked ...

The 4850's are all nice , they have 256 bit and DDR3
    some are 512 and some are 1 Gig....So you need to know more about that ...but its a good card none the less...

Intel still rules in FSX IMO.....

So more along the lines of that you have options.....

It boils all down to CPU..Mem...Graphics..Etc..

Post a link to it and I'll have a look at all the speeds and its set up and can better give my opinion...

This what I'm looking at:

Selected Features:
    • AMD Phenom(TM) II X4 945 quad-core processor [3.0GHz, 2MB L2 + 6MB L3 shared, up to 4000MT/s]
    • FREE UPGRADE! 6GB DDR2-800MHz SDRAM [3 DIMMs] from 4GB
    • FREE UPGRADE! 640GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive from 500GB
    • 1GB ATI Radeon HD 4850 [2 DVI, HDMI and VGA adapters]

Just to add another 2 cents.
    i7 6 gigs,Raptor, 1 gig Saphire 4870,DX9 Vista 64.
    I was getting BAD ssttuutters especailly in turns.
    My current config I have frames locked at 30,TBM at 10 which I feel is what smoothed it out.Pre i7 unlimited was the way to go.
    I have all the must have addons and can run anything with high settings except the known fps killers,bloom, shadows ect.
    I have done 3 complete FSX/Accel reinstalls and found the largest by FAR fps,performance killer was MytrafficX. I love busy skies and really miss the military ai but it took a huge toll on the game. I now cannot say I miss it all that much. I now run default 20 airline/40 ga and Helitraffic from Flight1.
    Only current problems are the occasional white flashes and vsync doesnt work. No matter what combination of settings I try with Catalyst, I guess my high res 1920x1080 doesnt support it???
    Some additional info.
    AA is 4x-adaptive is off. AF-8,CAT AI OFF,Mip full and v refresh always on.
    Just like ROF and some other games, most of these issues are not OUR settings but caused by the game itself.We needlessly rack out brains trying to solve "our" problem when in fact its unsolvable. I have mellowed in my age and do not let the jaggies,flashes,black boxes and other issues ruin my experince or send me into a all night tweak fest.

harleyman
    Is the ram PC 6400

It could be higher if it is..

All in all it should do FSX good as long as your settings are not greedy...

Are you sold on AMD ? Motherboard and chip?

Is the ram PC 6400

It could be higher if it is..

All in all it should do FSX good as long as your settings are not greedy...

Are you sold on AMD ? Motherboard and chip?
    It's PC2-6400 I believe. I have been running a AMD 64 Athlon with a ATI 2600 and FSX ran well with 20-30 FPS with occasional stutters. I had sliders set to full except for traffic, and simple clouds.

harleyman
    Then I say yes...

I would look into the motherboard and see just what the maximun speed ram it takes for the future ..

Other than that I think you've done your homework...:ernae:

I recently had to purchase a new system. I had been running FSX with an AMD Athlon 3400+(2.2gh), 2 gb memory, with an ATI HD 2600 pro. It ran FSX fairly well with an occasional sutter here and there.

I purchased the new system from Costco online using there customize option which included free upgrades for memory , Hard drive, and Windows 7.

Specs:

Operating System
    Name Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition (64-bit)
    Service Pack Service Pack 2
    Build Number 6002
    DirectX Version 10
    Windows Experience Index
    Base Score 5.9
    Total Physical Memory 6.00 GB
    AMD Phenom™ II X4 945 Processor
    Name AMD Phenom™ II X4 945 Processor
    Cores 4
    Threads 4
    Temperature 33.00 C
    Current Speed 3.00 GHz
    Multiplier x 15.0 (4.0 - 15.0)
    Features MMX(+), 3DNow!(+), PSE36, x86-64, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4A, NX, SVM
    L1 Instruction Cache 4 x 64.00 kB
    L1 Data Cache 4 x 64.00 kB
    L2 Cache 4 x 512.00 kB
    L3 Cache 6.00 MB
    ATI Radeon HD 4850
    Manufacturer ATI Technologies Inc.
    Video Card Chip Type ATI Radeon Graphics Processor (0x9442)
    Video Card Memory 1.00 GB
    Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\atikmdag.sys
    Driver Version 8.581.1.0, 4-28-2009

I've had it a week now and couldn't be more pleased with the performance of FSX on this system. I don't chase FPS but rather look for how smooth the simulator runs, but for those interested it runs with sliders maxed at 30 to 50 FPS without any .cfg tweaks.

No stutters, blurries, and the autogen stays ahead of the F_18 doing 700 kts+ @ NOE in urban and rural areas. It seems to just scream "Give me more!".

The key factors for a good system for FSX as noted in many forum posts on the web is:

Processor speed
    Ram Memory
    Video Card

It's a whole new sim now.

harleyman
    Great to hear...

Sounds like a well thought system.....:ernae:

OK...This is my third try at posting this...I hope it works now...LOL