Blog Entries
    i just installed a 6800 card
    and driver
    seems fine so far
    think ill try fs9 first
    comes with dx9
    H

Henry

Check your install my W7 beta installed with Directx11 already on it.

No need for DX9

I never tried to install FSX and see if it would work on W7 as I did not want to activate it.

Dave
    ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

Retired SOH Administrator
    Well it just goes to show ya easy this OS is, cus if my man Henry can do it that means anybody can :ernae:
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    i just installed a 6800 card
    and driver
    seems fine so far
    think ill try fs9 first
    comes with dx9
    H
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Asus Rampage Extreme Motherboard /EVGA AR GeForce GTX 295 1792MB 896 Bit GDDR3 /Corsair 8gig XMS DDR3/Intel Core 2 Extreme QX 9770 Yorkfield OCed 4.2 LGA 775/136W Quad Core / Water Cooled/ 2 WD Raptor 150gig 10,000 rpm Drives in Raid O Mode/WD Raptor 150gig internal back up/400 gig External WD back up Drive/Thermaltake 1200 Watt PS/Sony Dual Layer DVD RD/RW/Plextor DVD/RW/ Thermaltake Kandalf Tower/ Sound Blasters X-FI Platinum / X52 Pro

Retired SOH Administrator Henry's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hey_moe View Post
    Well it just goes to show ya easy this OS is, cus if my man Henry can do it that means anybody can :ernae:
    you got that right!:mixedsmi:
    so far it seems good
    love the way you can enlarge text me wife is allways
    bitchin about the resolution i use
    there dear its big aint it!
    its a lot like vista in the view
    im running it on a amd3000+
    2 gigs ram
    20" philips crt found the driver straight away
    when i changed the video card to a 6800
    figured that out in seconds
    didnt like the 5500
    but there are no drivers for that anyway
    if i did not have a lot loaded on this vista machine
    i would swap in a heartbeat
    although it did save my files
    on the xp drive that i installed over
    so far i am impressed
    H

The MS player is nice to...have ya had a chance to view a video yet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Asus Rampage Extreme Motherboard /EVGA AR GeForce GTX 295 1792MB 896 Bit GDDR3 /Corsair 8gig XMS DDR3/Intel Core 2 Extreme QX 9770 Yorkfield OCed 4.2 LGA 775/136W Quad Core / Water Cooled/ 2 WD Raptor 150gig 10,000 rpm Drives in Raid O Mode/WD Raptor 150gig internal back up/400 gig External WD back up Drive/Thermaltake 1200 Watt PS/Sony Dual Layer DVD RD/RW/Plextor DVD/RW/ Thermaltake Kandalf Tower/ Sound Blasters X-FI Platinum / X52 Pro

Retired SOH Administrator Henry's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Not yet but it shares the movies with my vista machine
    and vice versa, i got no sound working yet
    its onboard the mobo
    thats next
    H

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    Im enjoying my windows 7 experiance. A very fluid ops system and a array of fresh features that I didnt have in Xp Pro. My sims love this Ops system along with my Athlon Chips. So far microsoft has a winner.

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

I think if ya went in with a positive feeling you will notice there are loads of changes to the good compared to Vista. The graphics are better and you have a lot more control over the letters,views and folders..plus loads mo ...Mike

JSpal
    I'm up and running on the release candidate of 7 (64 bit) with FSX installed.

FSX runs alright so far. I have no add-ons, no service packs, and no acceleration added, so I would expect it to be easy on the frame rates thus far.

My computer is nothing exotic by any means, so I would imagine that 7 will run fine on anything that will run Vista. My overall 7 rating is 5.5, but that's because of the crappy numbers that the old harddrive I pulled out of storage to experiment with 7 is dragging it down. The rest of my numbers are 6.5 or higher.

I'm going to try adding some add-on and either SP2 or Acceleration this evening and see where it goes.

So far, it doesn't seem much different that Vista to me. It seems like Vista with a few changes - most notably the name - to get away from the stigma that Vista comes standard with.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
    Windows 7 RC1 is pants for FSX.... wont even run it.
    Gives me an error about not having DirectX 9...
    This is just for comparison but I loaded FSX tonight. (did not activate it).

It runs fine on W7 Beta. W7 Beta came with DX11 pre installed.

Go to your system32 folder and look for dxdiag.exe. Run it. look in the lower right hand corner and see what version of DX you have.

It will probably be a couple of weeks before I can load RC1 but to me it seems like it should run with no problem.
    ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

JSpal
    I got FSX running no problem. Played around with it for about 20 minutes. I didn't need to do any tricks to make it work, just stuck the disk in and it worked.

When I tried to install Acceleration, it locked up and crashed Windows Explorer - which restarted itself after a few minutes, but nothing on the start menu would work. I had to hard restart Windows from within the Task Manager.

Strike one.

Second try, I right clicked on Acceleration's setup file to try to run it in XP Compatibility mode. Just right clicking on the file locked up Windows Explorer. W.E. restarted itself again, but again nothing on the start menu worked. I had to go into task manager to shut down.

Strike two.

Third time, I tried copying and pasting all the files from the Acceleration CD to the desktop to try to install it from there. I've had this work in the past, especially with slightly scratched disks - which is the case with my Acceleration disk.

It started copying the files to the desktop, said "5 minutes remaining", then it said "10 minutes remaining", then it said "16 minuted remaining". I took the dogs for along walk and came back 45 minutes later and it was still stuck at "15 minutes remaining" and the progress bar showed no progress.

I hit the cancel button on the time remaining dialogue box and surprise surprise, Windows Explorer crashed, nothing on the start menu worked, hard to go into the Task Manager to shut down.

Strike three.

I pulled the Windows 7 harddrive out of my system, hooked up my old XP X64 harddrive.

It seems to me that the 64bit Release Candidate still needs some work. I don't think in this case that it's a compatibility problem, I think it's a stability problem with Windows Explorer. The scratched Acceleration disk certainly may have exacerbated the problem, but it should not have crashed Explorer. I installed this same copy of Acceleration in my XP X64 drive no more than a month ago.

Any suggestions on a good free anti-virus to use while I am testing Windows 7?
    Some of my favorite sites,

Dog rescue, Mostly Dalmatians and Beagles
    http://www.rockyspot.org/index.php

Big cat rescue, Lions, Tigers and Bears, oh my!
    http://www.gwpark.org/

I'm using AVG security with no problems...Mike

Thanks Moe. I just downloaded AVG too.

One thing I can say about Windows 7 at this point is, it sure is purty. Now if I can figure out how to turn off all the bells and whistles and get a clean OS for work I will be happy.

I would rather have Linux but so far can not find the accounting package I need.

EDIT: I am running it on my old AMD 3700+ test rig and getting most 4.5s except for the old 6600LE video card I have stuck in it which is rated at 2.9. So far it all works OK and it even runs Firefox OK. I bet MS is going to love the information they get back from my rig. Firefox, Open Office, Quickbooks, etc. Not an MS app in the bunch.
    Some of my favorite sites,

Dog rescue, Mostly Dalmatians and Beagles
    http://www.rockyspot.org/index.php

Big cat rescue, Lions, Tigers and Bears, oh my!
    http://www.gwpark.org/

Pearl Harbor Project developer
    I have Visual Studio,SQL Server and FSX all running on the Win 7 box... SQL Server slows down FSX... but she still is smooth.
    crashAZ- Virtual Navy
    [SIGPIC]http://www.sim-outhouse.net/images/rtwr2013/rtwr2013_sm.png[/SIGPIC]