Whats Your FSX Relationship Like?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats Your FSX Relationship Like?

harleyman

Question Whats Your FSX Relationship Like?

Right now I hate mine... I parked all aircraft on Monday morning , and have not flown since..Been busy as heck lately...

It was running smooth as heck...Loaded a flight just now...Chop shop ..Stuttering like crazy....

WTF causes this to continue to happen I wonder.....

Just don't get it at all.... I have a nice stable OC @ 3.6 too...

Its a defragged... Good drivers..Clean OS install...26 processes running....This bites......

I want my mommy....Man...Just can't win with this ....:faint:

datter
    That is odd. Mine got a bit weird lately but only because I never stop screwing with it. Tweaking this, tweaking that, installing things, uninstalling things. It's an ever shifting mass of potential frustration. Last time I just ditched my FSX.CFG and that sorted me out. Going to be much more careful about what I do with it from now on. No more installing random freeware AC I'll never fly, or missions with a ton of weird addon scenery etc.

Did you do anything that might have made it go south this time? Have you considered overheating as a possible cause of trouble?

harleyman
    Have not done anything or changed anything...

My temps should be fine as I just added a Northbridge fn to keep it cool....But for giggles i'm going into the bios and see the temps...

harleyman
    The temps are slightly high according to HWMonitor..Nothing out of the unusual ..Its been ideling all day as of 5 AM and its hot in the room...But its been the same for ever...

this is exactly the nature of FSX....sadly

you can get it loaded with all your addons and tweaks...or none...

I have tried alot of different combinations over the last few weeks, to no avail.

I have eliminated UTX and FS Genesis and now run FSX with only REX, FSWater Configurator, and GEX and a handfull of 3rd party planes and it just won't run consistently - whether I restart windows or FSX or run the defragger / disc cleaner before flying - none of it seems to matter.

I either have a marginally better than usual experience or a worse experience than usual...but there is never a genuine baseline performance - just a general area or window of functional performance with FSX.

I am to the point where I only use FSX once in a while and I am happy if it just loads without errors and I can fly one or two short hops. thats it.
    Go out and do a little yard work after I get home from my job...maybe catch part of a ballgame...check the internet for a half hour or so...then fly my one or two hops and then shut her down for the night.

Its a beautiful sim when you hit a sweet spot but I just don't think its worth all the aggravation...I can go to work and get that.
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

I changed my rig year ago. Bought E8200 which I overclocked from 2,6 to 3,2. Through the last 11 months I used stock fan for the proc. Last month I bought good case and additional proc. fan. I have never had any problems with my FSX, but this is because I run it on pretty medium settings. My goal is to have at least 20 fps everywhere I fly - from some bush flying to Heathrow. Moreover I have created few configs for the scenery complexity: regular utx, tubeliner and africa. The tubeliner settings has reduced autogen and ground texture resolution, the africa setting has increased autogen and few additional goodies, the regular utx is for my daily flying over Europe with some GA planes which I fly most.
    I have never messed with all those fsx tweaks. Honestly I run stock config and I have not reinstalled fsx for about half a year.

Lucas

Charter Member 2015
    I have a confession to make.............................

....... I haven't been simming since Xmas.:faint: I snatched a five minute flight a few weeks ago, but got bored and went back to FarCry2. I think the spark that I once had for fsx is gone, and we are destined to drift apart. To be honest the writing has been on the wall for years now....but i've been ignoring the signs... ie my missus yelling at me to "get off my arse and turn off that f@**ing computer!".
    Re-adjusting to normal life had been difficult at first, my eyes had to adjust to natural light compared to the glare from a large screen lcd. And I'm slowly becoming used to life without my gaming headphones been constantly attached to my head. When i'm driving, I no longer reach for a hat-switch on the gearstick in order to see around me.....nor do I feel the need to "buzz" the AI.........er, I mean the other motorists.:help:
    But there is hope at the end of the tunnel for my life with FSX. Following a long consultation with a therapist, he has suggested that I try out new things to spice up this relationship. I've decided to look for a new partner to share the sim experience.........the A2A Phantom. ....but alas until she arrives I feel that i'll be unable to consumate my relationship with FSX.

I NEED HELP :help:
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

My relationship with FSX has never been better. I stay interested in it by balancing flight time with counter-strike: source time.

Those of you who are getting sick of FS in general should try multiplayer sometime. :gossip: It is a lot more interesting when flying with real people.:amen:

Quote Originally Posted by harleyman View Post
    Right now I hate mine... I parked all aircraft on Monday morning , and have not flown since..Been busy as heck lately...

It was running smooth as heck...Loaded a flight just now...Chop shop ..Stuttering like crazy....

WTF causes this to continue to happen I wonder.....

Just don't get it at all.... I have a nice stable OC @ 3.6 too...

Its a defragged... Good drivers..Clean OS install...26 processes running....This bites......

I want my mommy....Man...Just can't win with this ....:faint:
    Hey Harleyman,
    I had the same thing happen but it was the aircraft!!!

I had a piece of payware (DC2) and it used to fly perfect -great with frame rates. Had not flown it for 6 months...Loaded it up an wham 3-7fps and stutters all over the place. Rebooted the rig and tried again -same problem.
    Went to the A2A P-47 and smooth as silk-great FPS Tried several other proven aircraft( RealFlight F6, Alphasim Harvard) and all worked great!!!

Have you tried a proven payware aircraft on your rig-try several, let me know the results

Also stay away from dowloading every piece of freeware, be real selective about what you load into your FSX simobjects.....I got fried before with some bad stuff and had to do a complete reinstall

Another thing to check-If you are using Nvidia and did you recently update your drivers?

If you are using nhancer- check your settings after a driver update.
    Last driver update I did all my nhancer settings had changed... caused all kind of problems...

If you have not seen Nick's suggested nhancer settings read this thread:

http://www.simforums.com/forums/foru...=156769#156769

Jetline HellFire GT2 FSX PC, Win 7 Pro 64, P3DV3.4.22
    ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Professional LGA 1150 Motherboard
    Intel Core i7 a770K (4.3GHz Overclocked) Quad Core
    Antec 920 Dual Stage CPU Liquid Cooler
    Nvidia 1GB GeForce GTX 1080 ti
    16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM 1866MHz
    1TB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD+ 60GB SSD Cache
    Lifetime U.S Based Technical Support

" Don't criticize a man until you walk a mile in his shoes. And then who cares! You are a mile away and you have his shoes!!"

Retired SOH Administrator
    I haven't really flown as much as I used to. It just doesn't seem as fun as it used to be. This new build I have now is really smooth on the FPS. I have been playing with the Sony Play station on gaming.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Asus Rampage Extreme Motherboard /EVGA AR GeForce GTX 295 1792MB 896 Bit GDDR3 /Corsair 8gig XMS DDR3/Intel Core 2 Extreme QX 9770 Yorkfield OCed 4.2 LGA 775/136W Quad Core / Water Cooled/ 2 WD Raptor 150gig 10,000 rpm Drives in Raid O Mode/WD Raptor 150gig internal back up/400 gig External WD back up Drive/Thermaltake 1200 Watt PS/Sony Dual Layer DVD RD/RW/Plextor DVD/RW/ Thermaltake Kandalf Tower/ Sound Blasters X-FI Platinum / X52 Pro

I split my time up between FSX(awesome), CFS3(awesome with bullets) , OFF(awesome with less bullets) with and the Wife/Life(awesome)... in case she reads this:whistle:....seems to be working well:typing:

harleyman
    Scott11 You are a smart man.....LOL

I might just dump FSX again for FS9 for a while...This rig rocks FS9 , constantly without any problems, and with my scenery addons it looks nice too...

I am unsure about this though..I will tinker more tommorrow.....It just sucks that when its great, its soon to fall flat on its face again .....

Just like a motor...They run fantastic just before they blow up......:amen:

Mine is like the movie Star Wars:

I just had to post that pic it cracks me up everytime!

Well, lets see here.
    Spring is here and I own a home and things need to get done. In fact I ripped up my deck, digging a drainage ditch then need to rebuild the deck so FSX has stepped aside for awhile but I still love my FSX. So when I get moments my first FSX addiction takes me to the Outhouse first and then that usally motivates me to take a short flight if I have time.

Jim

I use a simple rule, if it is not fully FSX (SP2) native, I do not use it! That way, I have a smooth running system 99% of the time:amen:

In the 2 1/2 years I've had FSX installed, I have only had to reinstall twice--once because I had to reformat my HD and another because of a virus. Other than that, FSX has always run well for me, and i have a pretty weak system compared to you guys. My settings are almost maxed (except for water which is set low, since I rarely do the water thing.) Like Calypsos my system runs great 99% of the time. One thing I DO make a point of using, though is a good firewalled router, hardwired, not wireless. This gives great security, while allowing me to turn off my AV and Defender, which REALLY improves performance. I guess it all depends on the individual machine, tho.

Athlon 64X2 @2.4G oc to 2.88G, 4GB PC6400 DDR2 RAM, nVidia 9500GT @ 512MB, 480GB HDD, Vista Home Premium 64 Bit

Retired SOH Administrator
    Well don't get me wrong here guys. I like flying FSX but I am more into the performance of computers. I enjoy and like FSX way better than FS9 but thats me.I haven't reinstalled F9 in the last few years. When FSX first came out I had FS9 installed but as time went on I came to a point that I was just not using it any more.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Asus Rampage Extreme Motherboard /EVGA AR GeForce GTX 295 1792MB 896 Bit GDDR3 /Corsair 8gig XMS DDR3/Intel Core 2 Extreme QX 9770 Yorkfield OCed 4.2 LGA 775/136W Quad Core / Water Cooled/ 2 WD Raptor 150gig 10,000 rpm Drives in Raid O Mode/WD Raptor 150gig internal back up/400 gig External WD back up Drive/Thermaltake 1200 Watt PS/Sony Dual Layer DVD RD/RW/Plextor DVD/RW/ Thermaltake Kandalf Tower/ Sound Blasters X-FI Platinum / X52 Pro

Charter Member 2011
    working fine here, only problem i get is i get an error when i close it useing the fps limiter, but thats no biggy. Most of the troubles i've had before where due to 3rd party stuff
    yes i know i cant spell half the time! Thank you kindly to those few who pointed that out

Quote Originally Posted by calypsos View Post
    I use a simple rule, if it is not fully FSX (SP2) native, I do not use it! That way, I have a smooth running system 99% of the time:amen:
    That's the trick, and it's not even a trick.

Fast, modern hardware, and ONLY 100% FSX native software.. and it runs wonderfully..

I give myself some time before dinner for a flight - My dad had his private license and I soloed at 16 - then the divorce fouled things up...since FS98 this simulator gives a good feeling of what its like(w/FF) - minus the sweaty palms....Last nite I was somewhere in Hawaii with the Kodiak and almost hit some birds on takeoff - Now how neat is that!! - Tonight I will take out some ships with CFS3 and the ETO add-on and enjoy the fireworks...My time away from reality - Then I get the call for dinner:amen:
    Ya sometimes the fps are lower some days(???), but over all it can't be beat

I like the water and the boat / car traffic in FSX, other than that I prefer FS9. I uninstalled it a couple of months ago due to an error I couldn't cure, but may reinstall to enjoy those smooth flights with lots and lots of WOAI traffic. I can't afford a new rig, but from what I am reading, you guys are worse off from me. My only problem is FPS and blurries, oh and real life getting in the way :typing:

harleyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett_Henderson View Post
    That's the trick, and it's not even a trick.

Fast, modern hardware, and ONLY 100% FSX native software.. and it runs wonderfully..

Thats my set up exaztly..... A super fast top shelf rig...Only a couple addons that are all FSX native.. Nothing else...

I'm going to reinstall Alricity today and kill everything and see if it improves..then I know if its being interfered with...:whistle:

MCDesigns
    Quote Originally Posted by hey_moe View Post
    I haven't really flown as much as I used to. It just doesn't seem as fun as it used to be. This new build I have now is really smooth on the FPS. I have been playing with the Sony Play station on gaming.
    BLASPHEMY!!!:argue:

I have a fine relationship with FSX. My expectations for performance don't exceed what I know my system will do, even though it performs better than I would expect. When not working on outside FS projects my PC time is probably at the moment 20% flying time, 50% design time (which means it is started and stopped about 2 million times a night), 15% Ghost Recon and 15% SIMS2.

I had to take a break from my PC stuff earlier last year because my Dad took ill, made me appreciate the things I did more when I wasn't able to do them

I have never had to reinstall FSX for corruption or to try and make it run better, but then again, I don't add tons of things to it to change it into something other than what it is. Threads like this scare me as I plan to upgrade soon and if I had to go thru even a 10th of what harleyman has gone thru with FSX, I'd be done with it (would never go back to FS9 though , probably Pacific Fighters then as I really never explored all it's possibilities)

I've had no problem with FSX/SP2?Acceleration. Not alot of addons installed but they are FSX only. And my computer is 4 years old now. Plus FS9 is still running strong.

Even what I'm beta testing runs fine on FSX. Don't ask, or I'll have to shoot you.
    Gary -

Goundcrew Member - Warbirds of Delaware KILG - Member 7G Club
    Member of the War Eagles Air Museum Santa Teresa, NM
    KILG Tour Coordinator and Member of Collings Foundation Stowe, Mass
    Mid Atlantic Air Museum Reading, PA.

Every time you think youv'e finally zero'd in on correcting a problem and your finally running in the "zone", another one takes it's place, or the same one returns unexpectedly at some later date, generally sooner rather than later. And then I'm always guessing, is this a hardware or software problem, or does one precipitate the other.

Strangely, it's not unlike a living entity, it has its good days and bad days but that makes absolutely no sense to me. Perhaps its like I've read before on the matter, a poorly written piece of software, as simple as that.

Maybe this is what a sub $100.00US piece of programing gets you. While not a good comparison perhaps but Word 2003 - I've used it since it was introduced, it's never failed to work properly, but, it did cost several hundred dollars when I bought it, but I feel it was an excellent value. Again, maybe not a good comparison but I still believe in the old addage "you get what you pay for". And MS built the FS programs to a price point for a lot of reasons. Some could argue that for under $100.00 it offers a lot of value bugs and all, given all the complexity and what it can do until it fails and you have to stat over. Personally, and I've always felt strongly about this, I'd pay hundreds of dollars for a flight sim program that works as well as MS Word, but that's just me, and they probably couldn't sell enough to make it a profitable project.

So it is what it is. I've spent more time with X-Plane recently but still not my cup of tea for a lot of reasons. But who knows, over time it could develop in ways I can't imagine at this point. FS9? Runs great on my current rigs but I just can't stay involved and I don't know why. Maybe in some twisted way the challenge of just getting FSX to run with stability is what find compelling, LOL. NOT!!!

Fortunately I have plenty of other ways to divert my time so no reason to stress for me. And given that I only use my home PC's for FSX'ing and a little E-Mail/Internet stuff, and with summer "a cummin in' my mind is turning to thoughts of golf, fishing, generally being outdoors more. There is life after FSX.

I guess after all this time and money spent and hours put in trying to get FSX to run without problemss, I'm more disappointed than anything.

But that's life.
    "If it ain't broke, fix it until it is"

Members who have read this thread: 0