Access to the current site

Thread: Access to the current site

Icon13 Access to the current site

Suddenly, as of today, I find that I can no longer access the existing site using IE11 -
    https://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/forum.php

Everything was fine yesterday, but now it's impossible . . .

Using Chromebook and still have access!
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

I still hve access using FireFox, but all my archives are from IE11 - losing access is going to be a right royal pain in the **** . . .

If you are still using IE11 that is known to be an issue going forward. We did nothing to change our settings but MS killed off IE a few years ago now. You should be able to import all of your bookmarks into Firefox or Chrome / Edge and move away from IE.
    ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

Dave,
    I am well aware of the situation with IE11 at m$ and have been happily using both Win7Pro SP1 and IE11 to access SoH for over 10 years from this laptop. My concern is that something changed over night last night and I can no longer use IE11, yet you say that nothing has been changed . . .

Ro

No recent changes were made. The last major change I made to the site was activating SSL and forcing SSL. I did that October 5th 2023. I don't control the certificates the server uses. They are free cpanel certificates. They update periodically.

When you try to access the site with IE what do you get. Screen shot if you can.

Dave,
    thank you for our response.

I also clear my cache and cookies for both IE11 and FireFox at the end of every online session

This first response from IE11 -

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	soh 1.PNG 
Views:	10 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	93872

If I click on "refresh" which makes IE11 work on some sites like Wikipedia, all I get here is -

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	soh 2.PNG 
Views:	8 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	93873

although many times I have had this message about TLS settings, which is a false diagnosis since they are already set correctly and other sites will not work without them being set.

Hope that helps,
    Ro

I will do a test when I get home today. I have Windows XP with IE11 running in a virtual machine. My guess is the server certificate updated and the update no longer includes those weak 1.x/2.x ciphers.

I can confirm that by looking at the certificate.

It is not IE11 on my XP virtual machine. It is IE8 and it also is broken and will not connect. The certificate is TLS1.2 so I am assuming at this point the issue is IE and the certificate. Like it or not it is time to abandon IE.

I will toss in an Chrome oddity with Win10. For the last 2-ish months I'm sometimes not auto signed in. So I have to maunal sign in or come back in like 2 mins after closing Chrome and somehow I'm just signed in again.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

I have two big problems with trying to use FireFox with this site.

One is that, as Allen said, it refuses to auto sign me in, even though the browser remembers my log on credentials. It also never remembers my layout for the home page (sidebars shifted left and two forum categories rolled up and two down).

More serious is that there seems to be no way to save a copy of a web page to a single file which will then display like the original page when you open it with the browser.

I would welcome suggestions for a replacement for FireFox that does not exhibit these ridiculous deficiencies.

Members who have read this thread: 51