Burning Blue Design - Old Warden

Thread: Burning Blue Design - Old Warden

Burning Blue Design - Old Warden

This morning, Burning Blue Design released their latest scenery addon, depicting Old Warden Aerodrome in the UK, owned and operated by the Shuttleworth Trust. This has been perhaps the one addon I've been most highly anticipating. The real life counterpart could likely be my favorite airfield in the entire world, despite having never actually traveled there, but due to having seen so many photo reports and videos over the past 20+ years. An incredible amount of history wrapped up in the airfield, the Shuttleworth estate, and of course the vintage aircraft and vehicles. Burning Blue did an incredible amount of work to produce this airfield, with something like over 240 custom-made objects, and it is packed with just about everything you would see if you were visiting the real location - including the entirety of the estate's buildings, the Swiss Gardens, parklands, zoological centre, college, children's playgrounds, etc. Looking over the airfield today, I was impressed by how detailed the static aircraft are, as with everything else, and all of the aircraft of course accurately depict actual examples owned and operated by The Shuttleworth Collection. There is also a slew of really neat coded-features, such as the animated clock on the Shuttleworth mansion (displays the actual time in the sim), animated flags, lights that turn on/off inside the cafe depending on time of day, 3d people that come and go based on time of day, and even the top on the red convertible in the car park goes on/off depending on the weather. This is the type of scenery I've been wanting for Old Warden since the days of FS9, and it's such a great feeling to now have such an accurate and detailed recreation of Old Warden in flight sim.

Of note, Burning Blue Design, with their airport addons, always makes use of their own custom ground polygon/textures which really adds a tremendous amount to this scenery. Unfortunately, there is a bug in the current version of this sim (Sim Update 14) that prevents those custom ground polygons/textures from displaying if there are other airport addons close by that also have custom ground textures. When taking these screenshots I only had the Old Warden scenery installed so that I could show it with the custom ground textures. Fortunately, its been confirmed by beta testers that Sim Update 15 corrects this issue, so for those not part of the beta we just have to wait until SU15 is released officially in April.

You can find Burning Blue Design at their website, here: https://burningbluedesign.com/

Last edited by Bomber_12th; March 29th, 2024 at 14:18.

Some more screenshots from around the grounds.

Thanks John! Definitely getting that! Many happy memories of airshows at Shuttleworth when I was studying in London back in the 90s. Indeed maybe the best aviation place in the world!

One of THE best places in the world to watch an air-show. Loved and respected by display pilots and crowds alike for its intimacy and charm. Their evening events where (wind permitting) they fly the Edwardian era aircraft are magnificent.

My abiding memory of the place was a summer evening a few years back when we witnessed the CWH and RAF BBMF Lancaster's flying a display together..

I have most of the Burning Blue airfields but as John said this was the one most of us have been waiting for and it looks like it wont disappoint.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6P3A5733.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	459.5 KB 
ID:	93660

For less than $20 US, that is a LOT of work put into an airfield! I'll probably pick this up next weekend, since I doubt I'll have much time for flying this weekend.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Dreams of Wings has put together this video of their first look around the addon:

Now that they've mostly done away with College Road's crossing of the north/south runway, and they're now making much more use of the runway extension, it has been neat to see different aircraft types land/takeoff at Old Warden in recent years that I would have never thought would be possible in years past (back when the runway extension was only rarely used/rarely made available). In recent years, we've even seen C-47s, the PBY, P-47, Bristol Blenheim and Buchon operate in/out of Old Warden (of course in addition to the other warbirds which have been common over the years at Old Warden - Spitfires, Hurricanes, Mustangs, P-40, Corsair, etc.).

In addition to The Shuttleworth Collection, Kennet Aviation is also located at Old Warden (east side of the airfield). They were responsible for the restoration of Seafire Mk.XVII SX336, flying in the UK with Navy Wings, and they are currently in the advanced stages of restoring Seafire Mk.XV SR462 to fly. Following the Seafire Mk.XV, they also have plans to restore a Seafire Mk.XVII, a Spitfire PR.IV, a Seafire FR.46, and a Spitfire Mk.22 (in that order).

Awesome News!

Will definitely be purchasing this one, I have a number of their other airfields & really like their work.

Did a real life flight in an Icarus c42 ultra-light flying out of Blackbushe to Old Warden about 5 or 6 years ago. It was quite an experience, especially as we had to fly over the runway to let the people flying their model aircraft know that we were intending to land, so had to wait for them to land their models before we could do so ourselves!

The museum is definitely worth a look around too if you ever get out there too.

I do wish someone could replicate the Cardington airship hangers that are situated a few miles away as they are a good reference point when flying in the area.

Looking forwards to getting this!

Keith.

http://

Great! For whatever reason, probably subconscious, I much prefer landing warbirds on grass!
    Above is a John Dibbs photo of Spitfire Vc AR501 which was maintained at Shuttleworth in a "weary warbird" condition, complete with fishtail exhausts. Lovely!

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceHippy1975 View Post
    I do wish someone could replicate the Cardington airship hangers that are situated a few miles away as they are a good reference point when flying in the area.
    I converted an old FSX scenery for my own use a couple of years back.
    You can download it here: https://daveg.cbfsim.org/files/cardington-scene.zip
    Can't remember where the original models came from I'm afraid.

Bought Old Warden as soon it was released, and very pleased with it. I've visited the place a few times, and it has a lovely atmosphere. Home to the oldest flying aircraft in the world ( a Bleriot XI), the worlds oldest airworthy engine, and an odd record - the aircraft that's been based at one airfield for the longest time ( a DH60X ). A nice companion airfield for Duxford, not too far away. I also bought Burning Blue's Farnborough.

I bet nobody here will deny the fact that this amazing Old Warden scenery would've been the perfect occasion to introduce "The Shuttleworth Collection AI Traffic Extravagaza !" Taxiing, Taking-Off and Landing Boxkite, Monoplane, Pup, Triplane, 504K, Fighter, Demon, Hind, Hawk, Mew Gull, Tiger Moth, Gladiator, Anson, Sea Hurricane, Spitfire and fly-past of Lancaster, P-51, Blenheim, Proctor, Rapide, Nieuport, Stampe etc, and so on. (re taxiing see that lovely photo of the checkered Tiger Moth above ( Possible ? In MSFS 2024 ? Sure ! )) The static AI aircraft that come with the Old Warden scenery surely must be good enough to act as dynamic AI as well, right ?

And not only that, The Shuttleworth Collection also includes a comprehensive collection of pre-war automobiles and other vehicles f.i. including a Hucks Piston Aircraft Engine Starter. Not really an unnecessary luxury givin the large amount of piston engines that needs to be started up several times during a Flying Day. With the current state of MSFS animation that can be seen in new scenery additions it might not be incredibly impossible if in the near future we can enjoy seeing some of the Collection's aircraft actually being started-up by such a Hucks Starter contraption:

Here's a short lovely video of the Collections Bristol Fighter started up by the Hucks Starter :

https://youtu.be/7II3qFEG-so?si=WJvaO-PmqHsP_86h

Oh well, one can dream, right ?

In any case we have a Spitfire and possibly a Sea Hurricane soon ( AH.. ? ) and a P-51, Lancaster (soon..), Rapide, Nieuport and maybe a Blenheim as Fly-Past candidates so thats a good start. The rest would be a great list for devs to pick from, wouldn't it. Personally id very much love to welcome Nigels Avro 504K to land at Old Warden and the magnificent looking Hawker Demon and/or Hind to begin with.

No matter this totally breathtaking amazing Old Warden scenery, without atleast SOME of the aircraft actually taxiing, taking off, do a few fly-pasts and landing again there is something extremely vital missing.

Have to say, more and more fantastic looking military airfields turning up these days but AFAIK non of them come with dynamic AI traffic. I cant help wondering why that is...

Anyway, heres to dreaming, hoping, fingers crossing and all that sort of thing

Possibly needless to post but just to add to the festivity :

https://youtu.be/qxZHv9HTgEU?si=BcFzy-a4TKv5yIqj

THANK YOU BURNING BLUE DESIGN !!
    Last edited by Javis; March 30th, 2024 at 11:02.

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    I bet nobody here will deny the fact that this amazing Old Warden scenery would've been the perfect occasion to introduce "The Shuttleworth Collection AI Traffic Extravagaza !" Taxiing, Taking-Off and Landing Boxkite, Monoplane, Pup, Triplane, 504K, Fighter, Demon, Hind, Hawk, Mew Gull, Tiger Moth, Gladiator, Anson, Sea Hurricane, Spitfire and fly-past of Lancaster, P-51, Blenheim, Proctor, Rapide, Nieuport, Stampe etc, and so on. (re taxiing see that lovely photo of the checkered Tiger Moth above ( Possible ? In MSFS 2024 ? Sure ! ))

And not only that, The Shuttleworth Collection also includes a comprehensive collection of pre-war automobiles and other vehicles f.i. including a Hucks Piston Aircraft Engine Starter. Not really an unnecessary luxury givin the large amount of piston engines that needs to be started up several times during a Flying Day. With the current state of MSFS animation that can be seen in new scenery additions it might not be incredibly impossible if in the near future we can enjoy seeing some of the Collection's aircraft actually being started-up by such a Hucks Starter contraption:

Here's a short lovely video of the Collections Bristol Fighter started up by the Hucks Starter :

https://youtu.be/7II3qFEG-so?si=WJvaO-PmqHsP_86h

Oh well, one can dream, right ?

In any case we have a Spitfire and possibly a Sea Hurricane soon ( AH.. ? ) and a P-51, Lancaster (soon..), Rapide, Nieuport and maybe a Blenheim as Fly-Past candidates so thats a good start. The rest would be a great list for devs to pick from, wouldn't it. Personally id very much love to welcome Nigels Avro 504K to land at Old Warden and the magnificent looking Hawker Demon and/or Hind to begin with.

No matter this totally breathtaking amazing Old Warden scenery, without atleast SOME of the aircraft actually taxiing, taking off, do a few fly-pasts and landing again there is something extremely vital missing.

Have to say, more and more fantastic looking military airfields turning up these days but AFAIK non of them come with dynamic AI traffic. I cant help wondering why that is...

Anyway, heres to dreaming, hoping, fingers crossing and all that sort of thing

Possibly needless to post but just to add to the festivity :

https://youtu.be/qxZHv9HTgEU?si=BcFzy-a4TKv5yIqj

THANK YOU BURNING BLUE DESIGN !!
    The photo is actually the Collections Hawker (Afghan) Hind K5414 G-AENP

Quote Originally Posted by collensr View Post
    The photo is actually the Collections Hawker (Afghan) Hind K5414 G-AENP
    Yessir, saw it all 4 times i've been to Old Warden (from Holland) and had a few words with the pilot too while he showed us the cockpit. I have a treasured souvenir from one of my visits, a jackett and cap i wore with many oil droplets from flying passes..

I kinda loved the Hawker Fury in FS9 from FCS "Hawker Heroes". I wonder what's keeping these guys.... I didn't mind their Lancaster neither.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveWG View Post
    I converted an old FSX scenery for my own use a couple of years back.
    You can download it here: https://daveg.cbfsim.org/files/cardington-scene.zip
    Can't remember where the original models came from I'm afraid.
    Quote Originally Posted by tiger1962 View Post
    There's an MSFS native version over at FS2: https://flightsim.to/file/96/cardington-sheds

Awesome, I'll check them out!

Thanks for the info.

Keith.

Members who have read this thread: 127