Dune Film Update - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dune Film Update

That's a plane I would try to fly for five minutes or so, then park deep in the hangar, never to touch it again...
    That ornicopter has greater chances to fly more othen, honestly...

Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post

it's NOT a GAME! it's a SIMULATOR !!
    Somehow I knew that was what Kelse was saying to Andy.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

Did anyone tell DC designs that? Doh! Probably got myself banned for that one.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

we can have strong opinions that are different and still get along

It’s unfortunate that this optional add on made a mess of some settings and control mapping for those who just wanted to take a look at it - maybe next time MS will post an advisory to set up a controller profile rather than just impose one.
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

This is going into a meme generator later today!

As for control settings. Does anyone know if it affects saved profiles, or just the default settings?
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Love flying the ornithopter. The dive mechanic is so exciting. I like to get as high altitude as possible and nosedive. I'm all in favor of fictional sci-fi aircraft, even though I primarily fly study-level aircraft. As with any addon, don't like em, don't fly em, after all!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    As for control settings. Does anyone know if it affects saved profiles, or just the default settings?
    It looks like it creates its own profiles. When I loaded into it, my Honeycomb Alpha was using a new Ornithopter profile that didn't appear to overwrite any of my other profiles.

Quote Originally Posted by shotgunshack View Post
    Why no Masters of the Air update?
    I guess the question is if you want a Reno add-on tier B-17 or want to wait for the Flying Iron example? Can't see Microsoft working with an Apple TV+ series at any rate.

I think it's a great idea - lets do Fallout Vertibirds next MS
    This wouldn't surprise me with Microsoft's ownership of Bethesda and the upcoming Fallout TV series.

Now if it had been Oblivion....

The Phoenix came with the AH C-119, if I remember correctly. I flew it a few times for sure, and it was a fun bonus.

As for the control issue, apparently quitting and restarting the sim fixes any issues the add-on caused with your existing custom profiles.

I've been a "hard-core" fan of the Dune series ever since reading the first book in the original series back about 50 years ago. Of all the attempts on screen with versions of the ornithopter, I think new MSFS is the first one that is even close to what Frank Herbert imagined. In the Illustrated version of the first book, the images were all okayed by Frank Herbert, and this is very close to the version he approved. My first thoughts reading the book was that it must look like a dragonfly, so this one is about as close as it gets to my imagination back then.

The whole Dune story is much longer than most think. Someone above mentioned the original series covering about 4000 years. Below is a pic of my Frank Herbert/Brian Herbert bookshelf, in chronological order. The Dune story starts with the far-left book, "Eve" and up until just recently ends at "Sandworms of Dune", just in front of the shark's nose, covering 15,000 years. The original Dune Trilogy pointed to come in the middle of the whole thing. The complete story does tie back into Earth, which is long gone before the first book, "Eve".

Arguably, Dune is probably the greatest science fiction story ever written but was almost never published. No publishing company was interested in it. Fortunately, Sterling Lanier, a friend of mine later in life and editor of the Chilton Car Repair Manuals thought it deserved a shot and had Dune published. But he also got fired from Chilton because it didn't do well at first and they thought would never fly. Guess they were a bit short sighted on that call. :-)

Forest

Now if it had been Oblivion....
    Well yes. A fully simulated bubble ship would be really cool. The studio rights to such an item could be very expensive.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails brian-sellors-bubble-ship-4k-02-editl-png.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by FAC257 View Post
    I've been a "hard-core" fan of the Dune series ever since reading the first book in the original series back about 50 years ago. Of all the attempts on screen with versions of the ornithopter, I think new MSFS is the first one that is even close to what Frank Herbert imagined. In the Illustrated version of the first book, the images were all okayed by Frank Herbert, and this is very close to the version he approved. My first thoughts reading the book was that it must look like a dragonfly, so this one is about as close as it gets to my imagination back then.

The whole Dune story is much longer than most think. Someone above mentioned the original series covering about 4000 years. Below is a pic of my Frank Herbert/Brian Herbert bookshelf, in chronological order. The Dune story starts with the far-left book, "Eve" and up until just recently ends at "Sandworms of Dune", just in front of the shark's nose, covering 15,000 years. The original Dune Trilogy pointed to come in the middle of the whole thing. The complete story does tie back into Earth, which is long gone before the first book, "Eve".

Arguably, Dune is probably the greatest science fiction story ever written but was almost never published. No publishing company was interested in it. Fortunately, Sterling Lanier, a friend of mine later in life and editor of the Chilton Car Repair Manuals thought it deserved a shot and had Dune published. But he also got fired from Chilton because it didn't do well at first and they thought would never fly. Guess they were a bit short sighted on that call. :-)

Forest
    Nice! I have a first edition paperback in very good condition.

Is there any way to fly in the DUNE scenario without being on a mission?
    English is not my native language, I ask your indulgence.
    Correct me, if you will.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Donadon View Post
    Good question, Id like to use free flight too.

The take of is here for example (Imperial Basin), but I dont see it on the "normal" map of the World:

Idea is nice and I like it :-). Maybe the issue that I noticed mess with keymapping (it loads differnet profile).

Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

On the avsim forums, I think I have seen somebody mentioning the GPS coordinates of the Dune scenery, which is somewhere in the middle of Africa ? I haven't checked if it's correct or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post

Default only what i have discovered

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    On the avsim forums, I think I have seen somebody mentioning the GPS coordinates of the Dune scenery, which is somewhere in the middle of Africa ? I haven't checked if it's correct or not.
    The rocks are there but not the sand I think.

Penty of dune fields in Namibia for free flying.

Another question. How does the pilot fit?
    English is not my native language, I ask your indulgence.
    Correct me, if you will.

Charter Member 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    I just went for the middle of the Sahara

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    More stuff I don't want. Why no Masters of the Air update?
    It's Microsoft and they don't do guns. So a B-17 with thirteen searchlights poking out of it would look stupid.
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferry_vO View Post
    It's Microsoft and they don't do guns. So a B-17 with thirteen searchlights poking out of it would look stupid.
    Now that cracked me up!!

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Another question. How does the pilot fit?
    The pilot looks too small for the scale of the aircraft.

Quote Originally Posted by dvj View Post
    The pilot looks too small for the scale of the aircraft.
    From the movie, I think its ok:

Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Members who have read this thread: 186