A question about helicopter controls/assignments

Thread: A question about helicopter controls/assignments

A question about helicopter controls/assignments

I have a question about assigning commands to a Collective control. I received one yesterday, and set about setting the assigned commands. From what youtube videos I watched, a lot matters as to whether the model is Non-native or not. But mainly what I have noticed, be it a native model or not, is that the aircraft will lift or lower with adjustment of the assigned throttle. I guess I thought that unless the Collective was raised, the helo would NOT lift. Am I wrong?

In case my question is confusing, I am noticing that even if the collective is all the way down, when the throttle is advance enough, the helo lifts. Should that be, regardless of position of the Collective? NC

Some quick searches found some interesting things. The collective does make the helo go up and down in conjunction with the twist throttle on the collective. You're taking me back to the old "Whirlybird" days! They would twist the throttle to make the engine go faster then pull the collective up to gain altitude. 🚁
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Quote Originally Posted by MrZippy View Post
    Some quick searches found some interesting things. The collective does make the helo go up and down in conjunction with the twist throttle on the collective. You're taking me back to the old "Whirlybird" days! They would twist the throttle to make the engine go faster then pull the collective up to gain altitude. 
    Right, but I kept thinking the helo would not lift until the collective was raised, but so far, not true. Throttle action seems to accomplish the same thing.

Which helicopters are you trying this with? MSFS only recently introduced separate throttle and collective axis mappings. In using the CowanSim B206 series version 2 (released last week) I can twist the throttle and raise or lower the collective separately, and it responds like the real thing. (No lift off with just throttle twist). Same with the new Bell 47J.
    Your mileage may vary with helicopters that have not been updated to support different collective vs throttle bindings yet.

I will have to go back and make note of which helos exhibited what characteristics...

Quote Originally Posted by SeanTK View Post
    Which helicopters are you trying this with? MSFS only recently introduced separate throttle and collective axis mappings. In using the CowanSim B206 series version 2 (released last week) I can twist the throttle and raise or lower the collective separately, and it responds like the real thing. (No lift off with just throttle twist). Same with the new Bell 47J.
    Your mileage may vary with helicopters that have not been updated to support different collective vs throttle bindings yet.
    Even with the "Assist" settings are on for the tail rotor, etc., I have a most difficult time controlling the Cowan series helos, most especially the 206.

Unless you want to control the throttle separately for correct starts/shutdowns, I have not had a reason to bind them as the throttle is 100% all the time. I own their MD500, but went with the FlyInside B206 to take me back to Army flight school days, a good pedal set up is key here (my CH Pros are about done).
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Quote Originally Posted by Victory103 View Post
    Unless you want to control the throttle separately for correct starts/shutdowns, I have not had a reason to bind them as the throttle is 100% all the time. I own their MD500, but went with the FlyInside B206 to take me back to Army flight school days, a good pedal set up is key here (my CH Pros are about done).
    Waiting for the mail to deliver this today. Bought off of eBay last week.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fl_gstick_7-1.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	93193

Members who have read this thread: 64