KPLN Pellston MI - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: KPLN Pellston MI

Since FSDeveloper Is My Guru

Certainly try and get help there as I often do. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people there. He mentions though about uploading it in ADE which will not show him anything about the flags. There is a download for animated flags at AVSIM which was the basis for my SODE flags with the Dietmar Loleit, the developer's permission. It is very possible that those are the flags at KNQA. I have two flags on one pole (with FSDeveloper help) for KDTO airport in Texas. The reason for using SODE is that when there is any wind below 4 knots there is a STILL FLAG. If you open up the xml in Notepad or Notepad++ you will see how they are programmed and why you can see flags with no wind and no flag(s) with wind 5 knots or above. There are two different simobjects for each flag. Also the flag at Pellston Lodge is unique to the lodge because the xml has to be positioned by latitude and longitude of the flag (or windsock or lawnmower etc.). Again even though SODE uses the same xml coding for both FSX and P3D versions, it reacts differently and don't ask me why. There was never a problem at FSX with the flags. The AVSIM which are scenery objects with a scenery bgl and textures only wave. They do not follow the wind direction or speed. They JUST wave. I used them for a long while and then asked over at FSDevelopers how I could do what I do with the flags. Like at my military installations, the flag is raised (becomes visible) at 0800 local and is lowered (becomes invisible only the pole) at sunset which varies. I am crazy enough that I can find out when sunset is by season from a USMC download I found online. I did this first at NAS Alameda and with effects I play the national anthem when it is raised and "retreat" when it is lowered. SODE is the ONLY way to do this. Alameda is probably the most complex airport scenery that I ever did and had help from three other guys. It was a six month continuous project for FSX. I didn't know anything about ooms or fps when I created it and a lot of disappointed guys didn't have the memory to run it. The base closure report of umpteen pages had colored photos of nearly every building and street on base. That was back in 2016. That was the first time you ever commented to one of my posts, Butch. Time flies, wow 7 years together here.

Richard,

The FSDeveloper told me that what I sent him did not have any SODE date. Can you send me a link for all the SODE data for him to look at.

I sent him

https://www.mediafire.com/file/jdcfl...plete.zip/file

Is that good enough or what else SODE related do I send him.

Thanks.

Here is latest info at Fsdeveloper about the SODE info - new stuff at bottom of link.

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/6...omment-5062492

As I Wrote

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    Here is latest info at Fsdeveloper about the SODE info - new stuff at bottom of link.

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/6...omment-5062492
    In my last post download of the latest and updated windsock, it has both the windsock, the new pole and all textures to duplicate the all orange one in the photo from the actual airport. The xml code calls up the simobject by name. I used the same name with the new data in it. If you remember, I sent you a replacement with the gray pole a few days ago before I found the real photo which you no longer need because of the new windsock uploaded yesterday. I don't know what kind of a control panel he is showing/referring to. Windows 10 has Apps System Settings not Control Panel. I just posted a reply over at FSDevelopers AVSIM.

I Dunno

Since I taxied around the entire airport in both FSX and Prepar3D V4.5 yesterday fixing all the HOLD SHORT so that they faced the right way, I don't have a clue what that is. The airport somehow in ADE lost the flatten which is probably what happened so here are three more bgls to replace those in your scenery folder. IF the three bgls are not identical to these then delete what is in the folder and paste these in place of them.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/t9048...LS+V4.zip/file

New Segmented Wind Circle

If you notice the photo I posted on page 2 of the windsock you will notice as I did that the wind circle at Pellston is NOT concrete blocks like many of the older ones are. I want this to be as accurate as possible after all the work I put into it and the time and trouble to fix the problems. I went online last night and Googled the segmented circle markers and was able to find one of the companies that make them. Online they had a download of the engineering drawing of its construction as well as a nice color photo. I went to work and after a few hours on Sketchup and Engineering Toolbox I was able to create the exact frame with the square structural tubing and angle steel for the bracing. After Bible and prayers and a shower this morning, I finished attaching the aluminum sheets to finish up a segment. Created a 100 foot circle in Sketchup and after an hour of placing the 24 segments properly spaced and positioned here is the result. I am happy to share it with other airport designers as a thank you for all their help in the past. As soon as I package it you will find it to download in the Warbirds Library. It does NOT contain a windsock because of the varieties in color and style. Mine at KPLN as you know are SODE objects. You can place a default windsock or other windsock object with Airport Design Editor if you don't want to use SODE.

New Segmented Circle Update

Here is the latest update of the KPLN airport with the new segmented circle for the windsock behind the terminal as the photo above I took last night after updating mine. Download the folder from mediafire link unzip it and follow the instructions in the README for no problems.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/ibvlt...+2024.zip/file

Members +
    I've been just copying all the updates into the KPLN folder & ended up with 9 variations of the bgl's.
    I've deleted them all & now have only the 3 that was updated today.(KPLN_ADEP4HS_RRL..)
    Am I OK with that? or is a complete new install neccessary?

(Phew)

Regards,
    Robin
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

Problems

Quote Originally Posted by zswobbie1 View Post
    I've been just copying all the updates into the KPLN folder & ended up with 9 variations of the bgl's.
    I've deleted them all & now have only the 3 that was updated today.(KPLN_ADEP4HS_RRL..)
    Am I OK with that? or is a complete new install neccessary?

(Phew)

Regards,
    Robin
    Whenever you get an update of an airport bgl you should always delete the old one first because obviously your computer was not asking you if you should overwrite the old one and you ended up with confusing (to P3D) airport bgls, scenery object bgls etc. I apologize if I didn't make it clear in the README's before. I fell into the trap that so many of us with experience in areas do and that is expecting everyone else to know how to do what we do. That frustrates me when someone expects me to know how to do something they do and I don't. I hope that all is working now for you and that you can have fun with it. I have just loaded a flight into my computer in a new free Beech P35 after watching a video teaching ATC comms and that is what they were in last night. It's always good to learn more. I was able to convert it with MDCx to P3D V4.5 native from FSX including the VC I was so excited. I would like to share it and am sending an email to the designer for permission. If he agrees then I will post it in the Library with the popup radio panel created for it because though nice his VC radios for me were hard to see.

Members +
    Thanks, all working now..
    Sorry for being such a pain, but I'm still getting issues with SODE
    I do have it in 12bPilot

I'm getting a big X where the flags should be.
    In SODE
    cfg folder is empty
    SimObjects has the following:
    SODE_AM US_FLAG
    SODE_EC_FLAG
    SODE_KPLN_WINDSOCK
    SODE_MI_FLAG
    US_FLAG_STILL
    XML has the following:
    KPLN_AM_US_FLAG.xml &
    SODE_KPLN_WINDSOCK1-5.xml
    then there are the 3 ini config settings.

I'm not sure where I went wrong..
    Any ideas?
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

red x

Thanks, all working now..
    Sorry for being such a pain, but I'm still getting issues with SODE
    I do have it in 12bPilot

I'm getting a big X where the flags should be.
    In SODE
    cfg folder is empty
    SimObjects has the following:
    SODE_AM US_FLAG
    SODE_EC_FLAG
    SODE_KPLN_WINDSOCK
    SODE_MI_FLAG
    US_FLAG_STILL
    XML has the following:
    KPLN_AM_US_FLAG.xml &
    SODE_KPLN_WINDSOCK1-5.xml
    then there are the 3 ini config settings.

I'm not sure where I went wrong..
    Any ideas?
    Red X's mean that the xml does not recognize or cannot find the sim object file(s). I am sending you this folder with all the correct files from my SODE which works. Delete all contents of your simobject and xml folders for kpln. DO NOT DELETE THE FOLDERS. Replace the contents from the proper folders in the unzipped folder into your simobject and xml folders. Try the airport and let me know if everything works now.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/h6h6i...10-24.zip/file
    Last edited by tgycgijoes; February 10th, 2024 at 16:03.

Members +
    Thanks for the help..

All working now.
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

That's Great!

Thanks for the help..

All working now.
    Have a great rest of the weekend.

Richard

Bingo

I think we got it now!!

That's Great

It's been a tough fight, pardner but I think you got it.

Are all the windsocks at KPLN suppose to look like this (Shorties) in the sim and at real KPLN?

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    I think we got it now!!

Too Short

Check above for the real photo and for MY photo and you will see that though not really tall, they are taller than yours. I think that your pole is about 3 foot too short. By estimation, I think the pole is probably 9 feet tall overall based on the height of the segmented circle which I HAVE real dimensions for and used when creating them.

Are any other guys having windsock issues in Prepar3D Version 4.5? How about it Zswobbie1??? Have any other members downloaded Pellston and using it in Prepar3D? Post here how your windsocks look please. Mine is fine no problems.
    Last edited by tgycgijoes; February 15th, 2024 at 09:36.

I think at this juncture I may just suspend using this scenery as is has been a series of issues on my end while no issues on yours.
    I don't want to continue to be a burden to you or others so I will just let is go. It was fun while is lasted. Hope any future
    projects will work better for me then this one. It's been a case of insanity, doing that same thing over and over again expecting
    different results. The poles are model files that are the right height for you but short for me, why is that? I sure don't know. The
    windsock issue was fixed (I thought) now the poles are short. Oy Vey!

Thanks
    Last edited by gray eagle; February 15th, 2024 at 12:09.

Pole height ???

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    Check above for the real photo and for MY photo and you will see that though not really tall, they are taller than yours. I think that your pole is about 3 foot too short. By estimation, I think the pole is probably 9 feet tall overall based on the height of the segmented circle which I HAVE real dimensions for and used when creating them.

Are any other guys having windsock issues in Prepar3D Version 4.5? How about it Zswobbie1??? Have any other members downloaded Pellston and using it in Prepar3D? Post here how your windsocks look please. Mine is fine no problems.
    For myself the SODE pole titled BJP_Support_IDV_R1_LM is short.

It's the pole provided in the archive download attached to this post
    The windsock was originally showing above the pole and I had to lower the sock down to -3.5#AGL to position below the top of the pole.

Is there a longer pole model ?

My result so far, btw, I do like the segmented circle you've created.

This pic shows the short pole with the -3.5 lowered flag.

Cheers

Members +
    I'm just happy that I've got things actually working.
    For me, it's not the length that's important, but that it works. ( sounds quite .... No, I wont say it!)
    As long as it's there and working for me, I'm happy! And I'm thankful for the tips that got things working.
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

Oh Well

Thank you for all the input. It IS disappointing that gray eagle can't get the windsocks sorted out.

A taller SODE pole model ?

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    Thank you for all the input. It IS disappointing that gray eagle can't get the windsocks sorted out.
    Hi tgycgijoes, if your pole shows taller, do you have the taller pole model available or a pointer to where to locate it ?

Cheers

The Windsock Pole Files

Here are the pole files from the developer, Jacques-Paul BOLLARD (Bégipé) – AKA JP67 at pilote-virtuel.com who deserves all the credit for them. I do not use his windsocks, the windsocks were developed for me by Bushpilot at FSDevelopers.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/ncm2f...Poles.zip/file

See how they work for you and anyone else who wants to replace the simobject poles in your SODE folder.

Medium windsock pole

Originally Posted by tgycgijoes

Here are the pole files from the developer, Jacques-Paul BOLLARD (Bégipé) – AKA JP67 at pilote-virtuel.com who deserves all the credit for them.
    Hi tgycgijoes,

Thanks for the link to the longer pole, unfortunatelly it's quite a bit longer and has a gap at the top, obvously the pole is designed for an alternate type of windsock.

I assume you altered this original pole to create the short one ?

I had a bit of a think and and created a midsized pole, hopefully everyone will then be happy ;-)

I'll create the archive tomorrow and sent to Butch and he can pass it onto yourself.

Cheers

That would be awesome! Looking forward to the modified poles

Butch

Quote Originally Posted by Quantum_Amiga View Post
    Hi tgycgijoes,

Thanks for the link to the longer pole, unfortunatelly it's quite a bit longer and has a gap at the top, obvously the pole is designed for an alternate type of windsock.

I assume you altered this original pole to create the short one ?

I had a bit of a think and and created a midsized pole, hopefully everyone will then be happy ;-)

I'll create the archive tomorrow and sent to Butch and he can pass it onto yourself.

Cheers

Members who have read this thread: 67