USAF to reclaim Pacific airfield used during WWII

Thread: USAF to reclaim Pacific airfield used during WWII

The US Air Force plans to bring the Pacific island airfield that launched the atomic bombings of Japan back into commission as it tries to broaden its basing options in the event of any hostilities with China, the service’s top officer in the Pacific says.

Gen. Kenneth Wilsbach, commander of Pacific Air Forces, told Nikkei Asia in an interview published this week that North Airfield on the island of Tinian will become an “extensive” facility once work has been completed to reclaim it from the jungle that has grown over the base since the last US Army Air Force units abandoned it in 1946.

“If you pay attention in the next few months, you will see significant progress, especially at Tinian North,” Wilsbach said. The Air Force is also adding facilities at Tinian International Airport in the center of the island.

The Air Force’s Fiscal Year 2024 budget request shows $78 million has been sought for construction projects on Tinian island.

Read more here: https://www.mercurynews.com/2023/12/...tomic-bombers/

Your link got eaten by the forum. Looks like you will need to use the link button (globe with chain below it.)

I'll add my own link found via google.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2023/12/...tomic-bombers/
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

I can understand the USAF's decision. It makes sense. Without this topic veering in to unwanted waters, it does strike me as...spooky.

With all of the "mud-moving" I have been doing in CFS2 as of late, it has been fascinating to see how the various airfields and complexes changed during the second world war. From scrappy stretches of dirt and cobbled together organic creations, to something more deliberately structured. When I booted in to Maskrider's version of Tinian, I started midair just outside the island and saw the runway complexes. What spawned to my mind was "I know what this is, and what launched from here...this is a machine..."

I didn't realise this North Field of Tinian was still here, even abandoned. I always find abandoned military places/airfields/etc to be really fascinating, like a piece of history "out of nowhere". Makes me think about the TV series "Nazi mega weapons", really interesting. I am guessing they will change a lot of things but I hope they will keep the historical side of the place.

"I'll add my own link found via google."

Thanks for the backup Allen, glad you caught it. Not sure what happened as the link was good or so I thought. Thanks again.

The way it looks I'd say this is a positive position to take as a deterrent to China and their nefarious plans. Lessons learned during WWII may have prompted this action and getting as close to the cause of much future grief as possible. I'm looking forward to hearing of plans as they take shape.

Let's hope that the present administration does not muck this up.

Members who have read this thread: 1