Still one of my favorite planes in FS.

Thread: Still one of my favorite planes in FS.

Cool Still one of my favorite planes in FS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xufTUIf4MVY&t=0s

Big and nasty but its still one of the best ways to get smooth with approaches and landings in FS.
    Note the early scene where it shows a flight line full of BUFFs. Look at the tail surfaces. This is normal for a parked BUFF (so it doesn't try to take off when its chained to the ground).
    The main part of the tail (the part that's angled nose up) is actually the trim tab part of the tail. The Elevator is a tiny strip along the trailing edge. It seems backwards but this is just something you need to get used to with the B-52. Kind of like the difference between "rotate" and "unstick".

Some other things you just get used to, when flying low-level (200 to 500 feet AGL) and at speed (350-360 KTS) you really have to fight against "ground effect" to keep the plane low.

Gross weight (mostly fuel) is always important in the BUFF but is especially important during take off and landing. Learning how to stay ahead of the weight curve is key to your survival.
    Just getting the beast to taxi can take a while. There's a good reason why this is known as The Elephant Walk.

Its an impressive aircraft, but too many engines and not enough propellers for me .

Nevertheless the "Big Ugly Flying Fellow" (to avoid the other explanation of this abbreviation...) is definitely the most iconic post-war bomber. When it will stay in service until 2050, as planned. It will have been operational for 95 years!!!

Enjoy flying the B-51 , but I most probably will stick to something less complex to fly.

Cheers,
    Huub

Members who have read this thread: 1