FSX -MSFS Milviz F-86 Sabre - Making Liveries
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FSX -MSFS Milviz F-86 Sabre - Making Liveries

FSX -MSFS Milviz F-86 Sabre - Making Liveries

A beautiful exterior model, deserves some nice repaints. The problem is, it's an FSX model, and MSFS has a completely different file structure. So, I noticed there were liveries "disabled" in the ported over package including - 2 gorgeous RCAF liveries. I set out to try and enable them. Here's what I did.

Step by Step:

Open the F86 Sabre folder, navigate inward to the "texture.RCAF_417" livery folder, open and look at the files. Notice the _T files. They are the Albedos but will remain named as _T files. More about this later. Notice the orientation of the wing texture. See it points upward from the bottom left to the top right. All of these _T textures (there are 7 of them) need to be flipped, renamed, and converted.

Open paint.net. Open all 7 of the _T texture files in the 'texture.RCAF_417' folder at once. Go down the line, one at a time, and click IMAGE-ROTATE 180-FLIP HORIZONTAL. Now use 'Save As' and rename each texture like, example: F86_1_T change to F86_1_T.PNG.DDS, F86_2_T change to F86_2_T.PNG.DDS, and so on for all remaining 3, 4 5, 6, 7 _T textures. Save them to the 'texture.RCAF_417' folder, but as a .DDS file. (DirectDraw Surface) (DDS) (*.dds). You'll find that option in the file type drop down. When prompted before the save, save each file with BC7 (sRGB, DX 11+) compression. (Selectable white box under the word 'Settings')

Once finished, close paint.net and open the 'texture.RCAF_417' folder. Notice you now have doubled the _T files, with the old ones suffix _T, and the new ones suffix _T.PNG. Delete the old _T files. Now each new _T.PNG file must have an accompanying .json file with the same name. I don't know what program creates these, so I just copied 7.json files for albedos from a different plane livery I did years ago, pasted them into the 'texture.RCAF_417' folder, and renamed them to match the new _T.PNG textures. Example: F86_1_T.PNG will now have a matched .json file called F86_1_T.PNG.DDS. Just rename the text file, no processing need. Do that for all 7.json files, so each _T.PNG texture has a matching .json. You are done with the Albedo part.

For COMP files, the matching COMP file for each _T texture within the RCAF_417 folder, is referenced from the main texture folder. I found (personal choice) the default COMP files in the main texture folder make the model too "shiney" in the sim. So, I used GIMP to decompose the F86 Sabre/texture matching COMP file into 3 layered RGB, and lightened the green channel a bit (lighter grey), composed, and exported into the 'texture.RCAF_417' folder as example: F86_1_COMP.PNG.DDS, F86_2_COMP.PNG.DDS, etc. with no compression, with mipmaps.
    Now each of these new COMP files need a matching .json file too. You can search your livery folders for COMP texture matching .json and copy those over to the 'texture.RCAF_417' folder, and rename like I mentioned above. Just rename them, you don't have to process them in any way. I don't think the GUID info in the copied .json file matters, I've had no problem "borrowing" .json files for this. Finally, from one of the other Sabre liveries, copy over COLORCOMPLETE.PNG, COLORCOMPLETE.PNG.DDS.json into 'texture.RCAF_417'.

When finished, you will have RCAF_417 folder with 7 new rotated 180, horizontally flipped, renamed _T (Albedo) files, 7 matching .json files for those, 7 new COMP files with matching .json files, pilot textures, a thumbnail, and a texture.cfg (references the main texture folder for other and interior textures).

Go to the F86 Sabre main folder, scroll down and open the Aircraft.cfg. ( NOT .aircraft.cfg )

Copy this, and paste it into the next livery position on the list. Number it as the next in order. Just like the old days!

[fltsim.xx]
    title = F-86 Sabre RCAF 417
    sim= F86F_rc3
    model= msfs
    panel=
    sound=
    texture=rcaf_417
    kb_checklists=f86ef_check
    kb_reference=f86ef_ref
    description=""
    ui_manufacturer=North American
    ui_type= F-86 Sabre
    ui_variation= RCAF_417
    ui_createdby="MilViz"
    ui_thumbnailfile=""
    atc_heavy=0
    atc_id=417
    atc_airline=Air Force
    atc_flight_number=417
    atc_parking_types=MIL_COMBAT
    atc_id_color=0x00000000
    atc_id_font=Verdana,-11,1,600,0

**Check the list to make sure RCAF_417 isn't entered 2x in the list. If it is, highlight and delete the other and re-number your list of liveries in order.**

Almost done. Now that you've made changes and added files, you must let the sim know by updating the layout .json just inside the F86 Sabre main folder. You see, there are two files, layout and manifest. Using Auto_json, which I've been using for years flawlessly, (link below) open it, and direct it to the main F86 Sabre folder, and run it. Save the new layout.json file overwriting the previous. Now if you open the newly created layout.json file in notepad, and scroll down, you see the new files you made are listed with new guid numbers, the sim knows to include these now. This last step, is very important, or else none of your labour intensive customizing will show up in the sim! The sim needs to know you made changes, so you must be able to update the layout.json. I use Auto_json. See this thread:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...json-generator

Fire up the sim and have a look. Select your Sabre to fly, go to liveries and see that RCAF_417 is there. You can now select it and fly. You must repeat this whole process for each "disabled" livery. You can also find some other liveries in SOH library, as well as AVSim's library under FSX Korean Military. Do this process for each livery you download and they will appear in MSFS. They look pretty good too! (Image 2, and 14 below)

As far as associated NORMAL files for each Albedo, so we are able to see indented rivets, screws, and panel lines, I have not figured that out yet. Probably related to the FSX limits, naming convention/formats, the port over itself, or might just be the format of the NORM that's preventing it from appearing on the model. Still experimenting, I can see the effect in ModelXConverter, just not in sim. I've sent the specular files through the Nvidia Texture Tools stand alone program to create NORMAL files, but even with all the seemingly correct procedures I know work, they're not appearing in the sim. The default _bump maps, don't do anything in MSFS either. Still playing with this, I'll update when I get results. For now, the F86 has new liveries, less shine, but dead smooth surface. I think Milviz did an amazing job on the rivets, lines as 2D artwork, I will be happy to see the 3D affect on the exterior model once I get a NORM map to work.The Paintkit!? Well, it's the most complicated/advanced paintkit I've ever seen. I haven't even began to understand it yet. So many layers! I do want to make a Goldenhawks livery now so as you see, everything is a learning curve.

Hope this is helpful, I will update. Share, or add to my method, refining or improving suggestions are welcome.

Image2 by Doug Smith, on Flickr

Image15 by Doug Smith, on Flickr

Image14 by Doug Smith, on Flickr
    Last edited by Fnerg; December 1st, 2023 at 00:35.

Many thanks for the assist on this.

Thanks noddy I hope you're able to make sense of it all.

Update: Had a deeper look at the paintkit. They are Photoshop files, and so when opened in Gimp, the layers are all individual layers, including the header folders. So it's not really too difficult to isolate just the panel lines and rivets for making NORMAL maps. Just turn off the details.
    Fortunately the paintkit is of the correct orientation so, no rotating 180 and flipping horizontal is needed.

Here's my version of the adaptation of the textures that came with the Sabre, for the RAF textures.
    I flipped and renamed the albedo files, and made new comp files (which is relatively easy for the camouflaged version, but which will involve a bit more work for the bare metal ones). I hope you like the shine, or lack thereof, on this camo bird?
    RAF (0001) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

RAF (0002) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

RAF (0004) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

RAF (0005) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

I discovered an annoying thing when making repaints for the Sabre.
    If you use the paints I recently uploaded, you will not see the wing textures from inside the cockpit, they are just white. Luckily, the wings are a bit behind the pilot, so you really have to look to the rear to see this.
    I have found a way to make them visible, but that means introducing old FSX wing textures in my folders, which in turn leads to the sim creating a CVT folder to be able to use these textures.

So if you use my "JK_F-86_Sabre_4kings", MSFS will add a "JK_F-86_Sabre_4kings_CVT_" folder to your community folder, really annoying.

Anybody have any suggestions how we can avoid this?
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.

another update for the Milviz textures:
    LW (0006) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

LW (0004) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

LW (0003) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

LW (0005) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

LOVING the repaints! I know the switches are not clickable in the cockpit, but does anyone know if it is possible to open/close the canopy? If so, may I please ask how?

Thanks,

Kent

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    Here's my version of the adaptation of the textures that came with the Sabre, for the RAF textures.
    I flipped and renamed the albedo files, and made new comp files (which is relatively easy for the camouflaged version, but which will involve a bit more work for the bare metal ones). I hope you like the shine, or lack thereof, on this camo bird?
    RAF (0001) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

RAF (0002) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

RAF (0004) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

RAF (0005) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr
    Will you be sharing this adaptation to the usual download locations? - Kenneth

Quote Originally Posted by vipgroup View Post
    Will you be sharing this adaptation to the usual download locations? - Kenneth
    I will, but tomorrow...

I will, but tomorrow...
    Thank you. Have a good evening. - Kenneth

they are now on FS.2, and I'm working on this one:
    N86FS (0001) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

N86FS (0003) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

N86FS (0006) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

Well, looks like this might work out.

GOLDENHAWKS by Doug Smith, on Flickr

Pilot now has the appropriate uniform for the demo team, complete with crests on his jacket sleeves.

Problem though, can't seem to package it for sharing. CTD while loading. Other attempts at a sharable package copied from a FS.to livery (by the letter) failed. It just doesn't want to show up in the sim as a stand alone package.

Milviz F-86 Sabre RCAF Golden Hawks MSFS by Doug Smith, on Flickr

Milviz F-86 Sabre RCAF Golden Hawks MSFS by Doug Smith, on Flickr

Have you tried making a copy of any of my liveries?

Have you tried making a copy of any of my liveries?
    Yes I did. No luck though. I'll try again tomorrow. Some repaint packages redistribute the entire file, audio files and all. I'm not sure that's allowed, is it?

not sure if that is allowed.
    I had problems in the beginning as well, but as you can see, it is doable.
    Although, I now have a similar problem with the FR Spitfire...

As Milviz developed the F-86F Sabre for FSX, I painted for Milviz. I made a lot of F-86 liveries (many of them included in the conversion package). I am glad to see other painters converting liveries that haven't been converted, and even painting new ones.
    Back in 2011, I also painted two RNoAF liveries. These have now been converted and uploaded to flightsim.to along with my original RCAF "Golden Hawks" livery.

RNoAF 338 Sqn F-86F MU-U/31227 (ca 1961)

RNoAF 332 Sqn F-86F AH-D/25069

RCAF "Golden Hawks" 23037

Gunnar van der Meeren

MSFS 2020 Standard/AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7-4.8 GHz/Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz 64GB/Asus GeForce RTX 3090 TUF OC gaming GDDR6X 24GB

working on adapting the Minute Men
    Screenshot (8096) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

Screenshot (8095) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

Screenshot (8098) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

Screenshot (8102) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

Gunnar van der Meeren

MSFS 2020 Standard/AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7-4.8 GHz/Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz 64GB/Asus GeForce RTX 3090 TUF OC gaming GDDR6X 24GB

Thank you for working to paint the jet everyone! I did the work to convert the model over and it is nice to get some support from the community in adding to it.

I disabled the rest of the original paints because they did not have appropriate COMP files - camo paint should not be a shiny and metallic as bare metal I am not a texture guy so I tried to get a few people to help me before release, but they mostly passed so I release it with a few schemes that looked ok. If anyone would like to develop new comp files for the base paints I would be thrilled to include them!

I discovered an annoying thing when making repaints for the Sabre.
    If you use the paints I recently uploaded, you will not see the wing textures from inside the cockpit, they are just white. Luckily, the wings are a bit behind the pilot, so you really have to look to the rear to see this.
    I have found a way to make them visible, but that means introducing old FSX wing textures in my folders, which in turn leads to the sim creating a CVT folder to be able to use these textures.

So if you use my "JK_F-86_Sabre_4kings", MSFS will add a "JK_F-86_Sabre_4kings_CVT_" folder to your community folder, really annoying.

Anybody have any suggestions how we can avoid this?
    The only way to avoid this is to make the interior model a GLTF as well, which I am not going to do because it would break all of the animated gauges. CVTs really aren't that big of a deal, they are handled automatically by the sim. It is in the readme that the FSX-formatted files need to be included if you want to see the proper wings when you look backwards. I spent some extra time making sure they were at least visible.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoKent View Post
    LOVING the repaints! I know the switches are not clickable in the cockpit, but does anyone know if it is possible to open/close the canopy? If so, may I please ask how?

Thanks,

Kent
    The canopy is not animated in the current version, but I have a new version that does animate it and also adds a GPU in certain conditions. Unfortunately they run off of lights for turning on/off and SU14 broke how the lights work in multiplayer, so I am holding onto the new version until that gets sorted out.

Thanks for bringing the Sabre to MSFS SeeRyFly!

Cheers,

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

thank you indeed!

and talking about liveries:
    mmm (0001) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

mmm (0002) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

Members who have read this thread: 6