Microsoft City Updates?

Thread: Microsoft City Updates?

Microsoft City Updates?

Probably a silly question at this stage, but I'd much appreciate any reply:
    The so-called 'Microsoft City Updates' (of which there are 4 available, I think) are basically photogrammetry?
    So, nothing of the like of cityscape add-ons such as Samscene3D's or Drzewiecki's?
    Are they worth it?
    Thanks in advance, best regards.

Well they're FREE so I've got 'em all. I have no complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by tiger1962 View Post
    Well they're FREE so I've got 'em all. I have no complaints.
    Thanks tiger but, since disk space is an issue to me, I need to know better, so I'd much appreciate if you could answer my 1st question, i.e. photogrammetry or handcrafted landmarks?

This is what can be found about one of the city updates.

https://www.flightsimulator.com/micr...estern-europe/

Haven't found the word "photogrammetry" in the text.

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Quote Originally Posted by Stearman View Post
    Thanks tiger but, since disk space is an issue to me, I need to know better, so I'd much appreciate if you could answer my 1st question, i.e. photogrammetry or handcrafted landmarks?

My apologies Stearman, the answer is kind of "both" - some of the POI's are handcrafted while the rest is now compiled using Triangulated Irregular Network (TIN) Photogrammetry data which is more detailed than the earlier PG.
    If you've experienced stutters and/or fps drop with PG before, the TIN data is no improvement in that respect.

Quote Originally Posted by tiger1962 View Post
    My apologies Stearman, the answer is kind of "both" - some of the POI's are handcrafted while the rest is now compiled using Triangulated Irregular Network (TIN) Photogrammetry data which is more detailed than the earlier PG.
    If you've experienced stutters and/or fps drop with PG before, the TIN data is no improvement in that respect.
    Had no idea such thing as TIN PG existed, it's very interesting. I much prefer handcrafted landmarks, anyhow. Not sure those add-ons are my kind, then, given my limited disk space, regardless they are free or not.

Thanks once again!!

Members who have read this thread: 0