I'm Back
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm Back

I'm Back

I've been in the new apartment for a little over 2 weeks now but getting back to Flight Sim has been a low priority til now. I have found another airport to work on and it should be fairly easy to finish as it will be daytime only and just Spring, Summer and early Fall. Also there are very few buildings at this field so that should cut down on building time quite a bit.

This one is located in Texas and while I've never heard of it, it seems to be very popular. I've posted an early image so maybe some one from the area might recognize it.

Texas-2023-nov-18-001 by Ed Wells, on Flickr

More later!
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Good to see you back Ed, I'm back too and have been lurching around the skies in FSX (sometimes even in multiplayer with Rob) and on TS3 daily as well (gasp!)
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Tako_Kichi View Post
    Good to see you back Ed, I'm back too and have been lurching around the skies in FSX (sometimes even in multiplayer with Rob) and on TS3 daily as well (gasp!)
    Hey what times are you up in TS?

Current System Specs:

Welcome Back

Great to have you back, Ed, prayed for your recovery and new location every day.

Great to hear it, welcome back Ed!
    Best regards, Manfred.

You were gone?

HA, ha, ha! Could not resist. Welcome back, Ed.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Hey what times are you up in TS?
    It varies depending on what time the puppy gets us up or if my daughter is on an early or late shift but usually somewhere between 9:30 and 10:30 Eastern and then I leave it on until bedtime (the old routine !)
    Larry

Welcome back and I enjoy reading your posts especially your announcements for your new airport sceneries.

Regards,

Aharon

Update to the original screenshot of my latest airport:

Fly-In by Ed Wells, on Flickr

Southeast Texas, famous for Fly-Ins. . .Re____

Current System Specs:

This forum is dead. lol

The Airport is Reklaw/Flying M Ranch nestled in the Piney Woods of east Texas.

Here's a suggestion. . .lets do a fly-in of our own sometime. . .hmmmmm?

Current System Specs:

Looks like you have been working hard Ed and you know I'm always up for some MP flying!
    Larry

SOH-CM-2022
    Another nice looking airport Ed.

Don't do MP my self but look forward to doing some trips around there.

Gavin

Hi Ed:

Your new Reklaw looks good !

BTW: I (finally) posted an example for the LC ID process in your thread at FSDev.

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/th...6/#post-920479

Take Care, and Happy Flying.

GaryGB

JoinFS

This forum is dead. lol

The Airport is Reklaw/Flying M Ranch nestled in the Piney Woods of east Texas.

Here's a suggestion. . .lets do a fly-in of our own sometime. . .hmmmmm?
    https://joinfs.net/ Works across all platforms even MSFS according to the latest post on their website. It would really be a lot of fun to have our own flyin and whoever wants to could join in. From my 91st BG days to see who is flying what you will need to put in a "sign in sheet" here of what aircraft each participant is using so that JoinFS does not substitute Cessna Skyhawks for everyone's aircraft that is NOT in your simulator. You just need to add a model of the aircraft in your simobjects/airplanes in FSX and P3D. I don't know what MSFS uses not flying it but you users do. Those of us who are interested how about posting your "YES I'll Join" like Tako Kichi above in this thread for ED and then he can see if enough guys are interested, he can coordinate a date we can all agree on being available once he posts the scenery in the Library.

SOH used to have it's own FSHost server until we moved servers to save costs a couple of years ago and online MP flying was a nightly occurrence. We still have a working TeamSpeak 3 server to allow voice communications between participants and use it to just 'rag chew' regularly too. If you look at the bottom of the 'Forum' tab at the top of this page you can see if anyone is currently active on the TS3 server and if you have TS3 installed clicking on the 'Join Server' link will connect you directly to the SOH server. As for flying those of us who fly in online multiplayer regularly use JoinFS on a direct connection between the participants rather than connecting to a public server.
    Larry

Hope We Get Some Participants

Hey Larry,
    I hope that we can get a few more to fly with us besides you, me and Ed. I know about the SOH TS3 channel though I haven't been on there in a while. I have my own channel on it at the bottom called Empire Airways where some of us would get together though again not in a good while with them pursuing other hobbies though still having FS installed on their computer, I stay in touch.

I have been doing more than flying as you can see from my posts on here like Enterprise Air Group though I probably won't fly in Alaska anymore. The other day I flew from one of my airports to another I created KMGW to KAMB in my Skyhawk just for a lay-back leisurely flight of a couple hours. I landed just before a beautiful sunset, all nice clear weather on REX.

Hello all,

I've never flown online but it sounds like it could be fun. I think my problem would be trying to find the time. I'm an early riser and do my simming in the early hours of the morning while my wife is still sleeping.

Rob

Timing is probably the toughest part of an online MP gathering. Not only are there multiple time zones to contend with, but also multiple countries. Weekends are sometimes a good way to even everything out as more folks are at their leisure during those two days. Basically what it comes down to is setting a time (agreed to by a majority), then getting those people who can make it, online and connected to JoinFS (the best program for stutter free flying that I know of). That program would be a must for anyone who planned on making the Fly-In. Another program would be TeamSpeak for Comms. It's much better if everyone can chat back and forth while enroute to Reklaw and then especially once in the pattern so we don't have overlapping landings or landings from different ends of the runway.

I know there are many who don't like MP (it's too difficult to get online, I don't have high speed service, I don't want to chance getting a virus passed along while connected) and just as many who don't like having to use Teamspeak for a variety of reasons (it's too hard to setup, I don't speak good English, I don't like the way I sound and so on). If you simply don't want to participate that's ok, this is something that should be enjoyed by everyone who wants to do some fun, online flying with other members. However, I can tell you that getting connected to MP can have a few stumbling blocks to get over but there'll be plenty of time to weed those out if you want to participate. As for Teamspeak, again there are things within the program that must be set correctly, but it's not difficult.

If enough people show a true interest, I'll get a list together of the programs you need so everyone who doesn't have them can download them and also the scenery that we'll be using so that everyone sees the same scenery. More to come.

Current System Specs:

As You Say

It's really fun and realistic way to sim. From my experience in multiple military VA's I well know the stumbling blocks but I felt it was worth it. My problem back thern was a slow laptop connection that stuttered when we got 12-14 aircraft in a formation all together plus scenery, but now being on P3D; 8Gig of RAM and 1TB of HDD I am getting good frame rates even with Carenado or Aerosoft. Count me in.

Richard

I haven't done it in over a decade but used to do it regularly - 2 days / week every week. I'd be interested in giving a try, but...what sim are we talking about? I'm FSX.
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

Quote Originally Posted by Duckie View Post
    I haven't done it in over a decade but used to do it regularly - 2 days / week every week. I'd be interested in giving a try, but...what sim are we talking about? I'm FSX.
    As am I Duckie and I imagine many others who might see this are as well. I also have P3D_V4.5, but because I do all my scenery in FSX that's normally all I fly. I would imagine P3D would also work but MSFS??? As long as everyone uses the same scenery (I'll make those available), the two sims should work together. In the past the only problems I've seen is elevation miscues. . .some landing on the runway, some landing 50' above everyone else and some who end up 10' underground due to terrain addons and such.

Current System Specs:

As am I Duckie and I imagine many others who might see this are as well. I also have P3D_V4.5, but because I do all my scenery in FSX that's normally all I fly. I would imagine P3D would also work but MSFS??? As long as everyone uses the same scenery (I'll make those available), the two sims should work together. In the past the only problems I've seen is elevation miscues. . .some landing on the runway, some landing 50' above everyone else and some who end up 10' underground due to terrain addons and such.
    Hey Ed, thanks for the scoop. Add me your list please. I would need all the apps and probably a little setup assistance if the time comes to give a try. I'll need to install the required scenery. I probably have them all in my library just not all are installed. Thanks for sharing interest.

Steve
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

The Only Problem

I have found all of my FSX created scenery to work in P3D V4.5 without any problems and I will be happy to test them before we get 10 guys on the tarmac. JoinFS will work with any sim. Aircrafts may be another story though unless they are in both sim's versions like Cessna Skyhawks; Beech Baron B58 etc. Some FSX payware doesn't work in P3D V4.5

I am thinking of flying my Spartan Executive and will supply both versions of it. I am currently (so far...oops I should not tempt the fates) successfully though slowly and testing creating a VC of my 2D custom panel and am very excited. P3D V5+ some works and some doesn't. MSFS is its own beast so neither the scenery or the aircraft will work to my knowledge unless designed specifically for it. Likewise for X-plane all versions. It's too bad there is not a cross compatibility between the simulators. Glad that P3D up to 4.5 is able to use most of the FSX stuff.

Richard

Just got my AH DC-3 in and out of there with no problem at MTOW / MLW ---about 2700 ft long runway, plenty of width in the stock P3d4.5 scenery

With JoinFS you can substitute any player's aircraft with one from your own hangar if you don't have what they are flying and sometimes that is necessary even if you do have the same aircraft. Myself, Moses03, SrGalahad and sometimes Ed would fly in the evenings and if we were all flying Lionheart's payware Belanca Super Viking then we were almost guaranteed an OOM error within 5 minutes of gathering on the airfield. There is some sort of memory leak with that aircraft in MP but if you substitute another aircraft for the other Belancas then you can fly together without issue (we typically substituted with the LDR Navion without a problem).
    Larry

Members who have read this thread: 1