Adding a HUD to the Alphasim Saab J35 Draken.

Thread: Adding a HUD to the Alphasim Saab J35 Draken.

Cool Adding a HUD to the Alphasim Saab J35 Draken.

This turned out to be more of an adventure than I thought.
    Alphasim didn't include a HUD or gunsight to their (now freeware) Draken.
    I'm starting to understand why.

When I began this project, I figured the tough part would be the VC cockpit and finding the right location in the Panel.cfg file to add the gauges.
    This turned out to be pretty easy when I copied the panel folder from their (Virtavia) payware F-5E into the Draken folder and seeing what was what.

The VC gauge needed to be located in the [Vcockpit01] section.
    After playing around with adding some gauges, I came up with the following:

[Vcockpit01]

gauge14=HUD/gunsight gauge, 400,285,227,175

The VC sight glass isn't square or very large but these numbers fit well.

Then came the tough part, WHAT exactly should go there?
    Prowling around on the web didn't provide any answers, Sweden tends to keep things like gun sights on the down-low.
    It should look like a ring-type gun sight but I could find no pictures to back that up.
    My gun sight gauges are pretty thin, I have the Virtavia sights from their payware F-5E and F-105 but they have some display issues in the VC.

After some digging, I came up with a HUD that fits nicely. It comes from the old KBT/Coral F-15C (V.2).
    This is an older HUD, its a little clunky and off-centered but it works well in terms of night lighting, small spaces, and neat-o features like a gun piper.

Figuring out the placement numbers in the 2D panel was also pretty easy.
    So, here we go. Note that the Coral HUD has some offset issues which is why some of the numbers look a little wrong. The numbers will get you in the ball park if you want to use a different gauge.

[Window00], add the following:

gauge32=f-15coral_v2!hud_gun, 643,310,14,14
    gauge33=f-15coral_v2!gau-hud-lights_switch, 400,340,16,16
    gauge34=f-15coral_v2!hud_color, 450,340,16,16
    gauge35=f-15coral_v2!hud_swap, 441,99,152,97

[Vcockpit01], add the following:

gauge14=f-15coral_v2!hud_swap, 415,285,227,175

and SAVE your Panel.cfg file.

The green HUD looks better during daytime while the red HUD works better at night (use the hud_color switch to change this).
    The hud_gun switch adds a nice "bullseye" to the display.
    The hud_lights switch is more of an option, you don't really need it. It also controls the landing light.
    You also get an ILS director when the gear is down and your Nav radio is tuned. The numbers in the HUD are not Metric, so think of them as cheaters if you're used to feet and knots.

The switches are found on the 2D panel, you'll see them on the dark gray "lump" below the sight glass.
    In order, from left to right, is the Light switch, the Color switch, then the Gun switch on the far right side.

The Coral F-15C is freeware and available from most of the regular download sites. If you don't see it listed under FS2004, try FS2002.

On the basis that assumptions make ..... well, you know. Are you aware of the Bookmark Draken? If you are, it could be worth looking at how they've tackled the problem; if you aren't it could well be worth downloading to see how they've tackled the problem. It is a lovely model anyway with a rather nice soundset that I've dropped into my Alpha Draken.
    Andy

I limited this thread to freeware-only options which is why I didn't use the gun sights from the Virtavia F-5E or F-105.
    At $60 US, that plane smells like a "procedural fighter" and the price is high (IMO) for FS9 payware. How long does it take to get from cold metal to ready-to-taxi?

Still, I didn't know it existed until now (or else I forgot) and I'm not above "harvesting" parts from payware planes. I use the sound set from the VRS Super Hornet in the KBT Rhinos and the Virtavia F-22 Raptor.
    Thanks for posting the link, I'll check it out.

It needs to be mentioned, BTW, that Alphasim did a really good job with the flight dynamics.

Before the Mig-29 and SU-27 were pulling Cobras at air shows, the Drakens were doing the same thing due to the plane's ability to "super stall" and drag its tail as the airspeed plummeted. The pilots HAD to practice how to get out of this stall, and the tactic was later used for close-in dog fights.

Quote Originally Posted by Sbob View Post
    At $60 US, that plane smells like a "procedural fighter" and the price is high (IMO) for FS9 payware. How long does it take to get from cold metal to ready-to-taxi?
    It isn't a "ready to roll", there is a bit of procedural involved, but realistically it only takes a couple of minutes to get it running. I'm confused as to why you think it is payware as the FS9 version is free, you just need to register on the site; even the latest FSX/P3D version, which is rather more sophisticated, is only 9 euros. Certainly worth a look.
    Andy

That's because your eyes aren't as old as mine.

It sure looked like $60..

I'll give it a look.

Members who have read this thread: 0