New London Airport W90 - Forest, VA

Thread: New London Airport W90 - Forest, VA

SOH-CM-2024

New London Airport W90 - Forest, VA

I spent most of the day yesterday doing the scenery for the above airport. It was rather bland as can be seen in one of the screenshots posted. The airport was actually a dragstrip built in 1958 and adopted for flight use in 1961. It remained a dual facility hosting drag racing until 2016, when racing was forced to stop due to increased insurance costs.

The airport lies 7 miles SE of Lynchburg Regional Airport (KLYN) and is used by LU students from both KLYN and Falwell Airport (W24). Both of these are available for MSFS.

The airport is very busy and has lots of traffic, so I could not figure why all structures were missing completely, as they were at my home airport in Danville. Like Virginia Highlands, this was a major project. Right now I am working on a slew of turf airfields within an hour's flight of KDAN.

Cazzie

Download:
    https://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforu...0335&catid=255

Attachment 92160Attachment 92161
    Last edited by Tom Clayton; November 13th, 2023 at 07:10.

I was a CFI at Virginia Aviation back in 1997-1998. Funny because I don't remember going into New London at all, if ever. Maybe it was really short back then or maybe it was the crazy stories I would hear about it?? Not sure. Anyways I would usually go down to Brookneal to practice landings with students. Much easier airport to use at least back then, mind you this was before the Liberty University aviation program really took off. I even taught ground school at the college for a few semesters. The good ole days making 18K a year!

SOH-CM-2024
    Mike, New London actually started out as a dragstrip and operated as such for 10 years before the decision to turn it into both a dragstrip and private airfield was made. It remained a dual facility after Liberty bought the field and took over operations. However, drag racing was discontinued after 2015 due to high cost of insurance for such events.

Members who have read this thread: 0