USS Enterprise CV6 Pre-WWII Air Group
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USS Enterprise CV6 Pre-WWII Air Group

USS Enterprise CV6 Pre-WWII Air Group

Yesterday I installed the Aeroplane Heaven Grumman F3F Fighter into P3D. I remembered that I had added the LSO gauge from the Swordfish when I did this a couple years ago. Well, back then I didn't know enough to be able to just have the gauge and had the whole Swordfish also to get it to work. Now I know just enough xml coding to get in trouble but I didn't get in trouble yet. I got permission to modify and share the LSO gauge that p. chandler created and he even pointed out to me the difference between the RN "Batman" and the USN "Paddles" hand signals. I got some charts of them off the internet and it will be USN when I am done. If anyone would like in the future to set up a multiplayer session PM me and we can keep in touch as I get it setup and I can send you links to CCP. I have the last modded operating version I was given. I have permissions to share the LSO and also CCP. It could be fun.

I am also going to try and find my 18 aircraft Squadron Repaints that I did and also resurrect the carrier and the rest of the air group aircraft. I will have to test them out in P3D V4.5
    because Here is a screenshot on the ground of the LSO after being modified:

Last edited by tgycgijoes; October 8th, 2023 at 15:53.

Usn lso

This morning I worked on revising the LSO so that he reflected USN not RN signals to pilots. Here is the USN chart

I spent an hour

I spent about an hour going through all my flash drive archives of software etc. only to find when I discovered the AH F3F, that is was their FS2002 version which worked fine in FS9. I didn't realize that I had bought it that long ago. Anyway, the new one is all different so I've started over with the repaints. AH supplies 6F7 or the section leader of section 3. They also have other textures for other carriers besides Enterprise but the cowl paints will work for the other sections like 6F16 the section 6 leader and 6F15 the left wingman so some work is done. Having fun. Hope that some of you will want to do a multiplayer session when I get this all put together. The colors were not decorations but part of an elaborate recognition code http://www.pmcn.de/English/USN%20Mar...rkings%20I.htm Check it out!

Swordfish Gauges

With Mr. Chandler's permission I have modified the LSO gauge to reflect as best as I can the USN (as opposed to RN) "Paddles" Landing Signals Officer on our pre-war and up to the IFLOLS being installed on our aircraft carriers. I don't know how to implement an "animated" waveoff so I put double paddles in that bmp for the meantime. I am going over to FSDevelopers and see if someone can show me an easy way to include that if possible. More later.
    Last edited by tgycgijoes; October 10th, 2023 at 07:15.

Thank you so much for the update and the great work. I hope you'll be able to share when you are done.

Thanks,

Rob

For Sure

Quote Originally Posted by SgtT View Post
    Thank you so much for the update and the great work. I hope you'll be able to share when you are done.

Thanks,

Rob
    Since I have permission from Mr. Chandler I will share this which can be added into ANY aircraft. You see what you see above in the first screenshot. That way you can add it to an SBD Dauntless or even an F9F Cougar to use on one of fantastic aircraft carriers available here in the Warbirds Library prior to the FLOLS. I am using Klaus Nowak's CV6 Enterprise.

Section Leaders

I am creating the whole squadron repaints for "Fighting Six" aboard USS Enterprise CV-6 in Fleet Battle Problem XX in the Eastern Pacific. Here is the completed Section 4 Section Leader. I have downloaded every photo that is online that I could find. BuNos have all been researched as best I can find but some with no photos or info will probably be "fudged" though they were all part of VF-6 from Joe Baughers fantastic list of information I just don't know if the BuNo was assigned to that exact aircraft number in the squadron. The BuNo on 6-F-4 the Second Section Leader is correct from a photo as are the "flying turtle" on the tail my original art and the Battle Efficiency "E" that the squadron was awarded. I will create all the Section Leaders first and then fill in the squadron. I have a photo of a "20" which I imagine was a spare aircraft since the squadrons only contained 18 active aircraft. When it is complete I will provide it to anyone who would like a copy who sends me a PM. I will upload a file of all 6 section leaders to the Warbirds Library. I hope that this will motivate some wingmen who want to fly together. The AH F3F-2 is a free download at ORBX for both FSX and P3D versions.

Today's Work

After I finished programming next week's radio broadcasts I continued with the Section Leaders aircraft repaints. This one is the Section Leader of Section 1 who is also Squadron CO in 6F1 off NAS Oceana.

Completed The Section Leaders

This morning I was able to complete Section Leader Six and add it to my P3D and updating the aircraft.cfg so here is a collage I just created after letting them "fly" over NAS Oceana: Not sure why the aircraft number 10 on Section 4 looks too high and will check it out and correct the fuselage texture if it is. Sometimes that's the sim be it FSX OR P3D. Colors are exactly matched to specifications for the pre-war colors within the limits of Photoshop and sims. I noticed a variance in other repaints but these are RGB matched to ANA and FSN paint chips online. I noticed that the black of Section Four is not a darker black though pure black 0-0-0 cannot be used in a sim because it becomes transparent.

Working On The Wingmen

I started yesterday to finish up the squadron working on each section's wingmen. In Section One, the right wingman is number 2 and the left wingman, number 3. Accordingly, the even number wingman of the section is the right and the odd number wingman is the left. There are only color distinctions between wingmen on the upper wings in the section colors there are no color bands on the fuselage. I will create separate downloads when I have completed all of them by section with the leader and his two wingmen in each folder for small size downloads. Then we'll see where I go from there by the interest online whether I continue with the rest of the aircraft of the Enterprise group on here or just for myself as I did back then. Back in the FS9 days I had the whole squadron of each type created. Not sure how those aircraft with work in FSX much less P3D. It would really be cool in CCP.

Fighting Six Complete

All 18 aircraft textures for Fighter Squadron 6 in 1939-40 is complete. Next now after working with Rick Keller at FSDevelopers on the Douglas TBD-1 Devastor of Torpedo Six to get the mdl to work in P3D as well as it can I am ready to start repaints for that squadron using the conversions of Paul Clawson's Devastator. Michael E. Roberts updated it to FSX and that version works fine on FSX. The textures are all interchangeable between the versions on the web. I am going to try and enhance the textures to make them look more like those of the AH F3F and I also was able to get a copy of the actual aircraft manual so I am going to update the panel as well before I added to the air group. Results will post here and be shared. The mdl's I am sharing are Rick's work on the Paul Clawson which from the readme we can update and share for free. Just spent the last few hours this evening on tweaking the textures. I think they look better and I was able to determine on how to separate the cowl for section leader - right wingman and left wingman. I learned tonight how to install a "rivet" brush into photoshop and then how to paint straight rows of rivets onto the fuselage. It's still a far cry in my opinion from a lot of other repaints but it's better. It's FS9 not MSFS or even P3D PBR but it is better I think. I'll post a few screen shots of Section 1 tomorrow.
    Last edited by tgycgijoes; October 24th, 2023 at 18:04.

The Second Squadron

The next aircraft is the Douglas TBD-1 Devastator of Torpedo-Bombing Six. The original was for CFS-2 by Paul Clawson waaaay back. It was then updated for FS9; Mick Morrisey created repaints for it that are here in our Warbirds Library. Both Paul and Mick's colors are correct as far as red, yellow, blue, etc. but not a true match to the actual colors used in real life which I was able to find the name and then the RGB matches for online. I would never criticise anyone's work especially modeling which I have no knowledge of GMAX or Blender having tried but I updated the textures in Photoshop as best as I am able using photos taken aboard Enterprise and thanks to LIFE magazine, in color. I was also able online through much searching to get most of the actual Bureau Numbers and substituted still actual ones from Joe Baugher's fantastic website. They are all VT-6 but not sure if that exact aircraft for the missing ones.

I also learned how to paint rivets as you can see from the closeup of the fuselage again from photos. The cowl is completely redone as well. Here is the section leader of section 1.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/mJT32ro.jpg[/img

In The Shipyard

I took a short break though still related to this thread, I have been in the shipyard laying a new deck onto the Bruce Fitzgerald free CV-6. Because this is pre-ww2, I wanted the Enterprise to look the part. I love Klaus Nowak's Yorktown/Enterprise/Hornet package but they all have the refitted AA and sponsons. Then online I found the 2015 post here when AH released their updated F3F Grumman Fighter and in it was a link to Flyaway Simulation and the pre-fit CV-6 which I downloaded. Checked it out in P3d V4.5 and AI Carriers but because it is a pilotable it didn't come up on the menu. I made a copy and then created a sim.cfg and removed the aircraft.cfg and panel. Now it worked so I went to work on the flightdeck. I was able to find enough photos to work with. I created "real" mahogany plank sections with an online jpg of a real board that was 1"x6" the real size used. Then I took photos of some aircraft closeups and created the tie-down track. Armed with my merged sections I planked the entire deck portion of the bmp texture. Beautifully, because it is just an overlaid texture, the hard deck platforms and the attached arrestor cables are on top to use. Finally I was able to find a pdf of the general booklet of plans for Yorktown CV5 which I downloaded and using the flight deck drawing and the photos, created this. Shot taken in Model Converter X. Since MDCx automatically puts the attached objects on the mdl, I copied it and removed them so i could see what I was doing. Here is a shot of the result: I sent an email to Bruce Fitzgerald which has not come back undeliverable but also I have not received a reply to share his model package with my flightdeck textures as an AI carrier. His readme didn't say anything about not sharing but I always like to have permission to use someone else's work with others. I know I can use it myself but after all this work.....

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    I sent an email to Bruce Fitzgerald which has not come back undeliverable but also I have not received a reply to share his model package with my flightdeck textures as an AI carrier. His readme didn't say anything about not sharing but I always like to have permission to use someone else's work with others. I know I can use it myself but after all this work.....
    I wouldn't worry about modifying Bruce's "Big E" without his permission, so long as you credit him for his original model and any other components. Also, it's not payware so when you're happy with your final product I'd say go ahead and upload it.

One constructive comment: The terra cotta color of the flight deck seems kinda bright to me after watching overhead views of the Enterprise from "Dive Bomber" (1941). Maybe more like R159/G92/B63 or a similar shade but I'll defer to your judgment since I know you do your homework on all your projects.

Constructive Criticism

I never am offended or ignore constructive criticism. I downloaded a jpg of a real mahogany plank to use to construct my plank sections. Here is one of the photos I used for a reference after reading "mahogany planks" in infor I found. Comparing the photos of this and others I may try and tone it down. I am sure that in the shipyard it probably looked like these when laid brand new but salt water and exposure even after only a year would make it more faded, the lines too. They are also correct RGB but again brand new out of the 55 gal drums. I remember the "bosun's paint locker" up forward on the America when I just came aboard and was assigned to "side cleaning" how they mixed paint. The Federal Standard Colors book I have that i match to online for RGB for Photoshop I know fades as well.

This Looks Closer

I love Photoshop it's so versatile in making changes. Here is a altered version that I think is even closer to the photo. I studied the yellow in the color photos I have from LIFE magazine article and it matches the yellow of the aircraft cowling so I matched that too. These are actually "real" mahogany plank textures not colors if you actually looked at them closely which is what I wanted to use not paint like a plastic model. So I had to use the layer adjustment tool but I compared your RGB in a paint swatch and its very close a stain. Thanks for challenging me to make it a little better. If I don't get a reply from Bruce in the next week I will go ahead, I agree with you it's not payware; nowhere in his original readme does he prohibit changing or adding and I will of course be sure to give him all the credit. All I did was change the flag to 48 stars instead of 50 and create the wooden deck. All the rest is his model and textures.

Captain Kurt has done a new TBD for CFS2 that may work for FSX https://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforu...2&linkid=29550
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Captain Kurt has done a new TBD for CFS2 that may work for FSX https://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforu...2&linkid=29550
    just downloaded it and will check it out and report back here. Sadly, it does not work in FSX OR P3D without a conversion and MDCx cannot convert the animation without it being distorted so it's a beautiful aircraft but sadly no joy. Maybe Capt Kurt can convert his model to FSX and/or P3DV4 which would be fantastic but I was not able to.

Captain Kurt TBD is a FSDS model. The MDL says FS Design Studio Copyright 2002 so I'm guessing FSDS 2?

Same Problem

Captain Kurt TBD is a FSDS model. The MDL says FS Design Studio Copyright 2002 so I'm guessing FSDS 2?
    I don't get involved in FSDS or Gmax. I tried in the past and just when I think I understand it, I don't. As I said maybe Capt Kurt can export the mdl from his FSDS to an FSX. That is all that is needed. You can't do it in Model Converter X successfully.

A week or so ago when I tried to convert Paul Clawson's TBD the same thing happened with the animation. It gets all jumbled up in any other format mdl than FS2002/2004. Rick Keller at FSDevelopers was able to convert it with some animation to P3DV4 for me to use though it's not perfect. The FSX portover version works ok in FSX so I am using that one there. Now if I can get CCP to work there I will be all set.

I converted Paul Clawson's TBD to FSX in ModelConverterX with the much appreciated assistance of Tom Gibson and Brian Gladden. I was successful, but it was a tedious process for me and not what I consider the "fun" side of flight sim. I would've loved to replace Paul's basic aircrew figures with better detailed ones like Shessi and others do with some planes but that's way beyond my skill level. As Dirty Harry once said, "A man's got to know his limitations!"

I have that one

Quote Originally Posted by TARPSBird View Post
    I converted Paul Clawson's TBD to FSX in ModelConverterX with the much appreciated assistance of Tom Gibson and Brian Gladden. I was successful, but it was a tedious process for me and not what I consider the "fun" side of flight sim. I would've loved to replace Paul's basic aircrew figures with better detailed ones like Shessi and others do with some planes but that's way beyond my skill level. As Dirty Harry once said, "A man's got to know his limitations!"
    Nice airplane but I agree that the figures leave much to be desired. It would be nice if Capt Kurt would open up his FSDS model and export IT as at least FSX native. It is even nicer than Paul's but of course look how old that one is. At the time it was "state of the art" as all the old ones once were. We just get spoiled with newer and newer stuff. I am blessed with all the Photoshop knowledge that I have learned and am still learning when I remember just a few years ago I couldn't do anything with it.

I know gMax FS04 work in FSX but do they work in P3D? I did very rough rebuild of the CFS2 AI TBD-1 for my rebuilding guide. (not even unmirrored textures rough) https://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforu...9&linkid=29391 While the guide is for CFS2 everything done in gMax is FS04 compliant so I do sort of have TBD made.

Since I woke up at like 5AM feeling like I eat a bowl of broken glass cereal I went to work on a VC. When not as good as Capt Kurt's it should work once done.

I Tried Too

Since I own FS Design Studio, I reactivated it and with Model Converter X V1.5 I exported an fsc model. I then was able to upload it into FSDS. I also was able to export an FSX mdl, well sort of, it started like it was going to work and then kept giving me an error. Since I don't know enough about FSDS to ask an intelligent question, I have written a PM to Capt Kurt asking him to convert it to FSX mdl native if he can but have not had any reply. Tarpsbird has converted Paul Clawson's to FSX as he said and I am using that one right now in FSX. In FSX I can use AI Carriers too. Thank you for trying.

The Short Answer Is

I know gMax FS04 work in FSX but do they work in P3D? I did very rough rebuild of the CFS2 AI TBD-1 for my rebuilding guide. (not even unmirrored textures rough) https://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforu...9&linkid=29391 While the guide is for CFS2 everything done in gMax is FS04 compliant so I do sort of have TBD made.

Since I woke up at like 5AM feeling like I eat a bowl of broken glass cereal I went to work on a VC. When not as good as Capt Kurt's it should work once done.

The short answer is no, unfortunately in P3D V4.5 or higher. It has to be a P3D 4+ mdl. Any attempts at converting messing up all the animation when you think it worked.

Members who have read this thread: 2