Special Visitor to RAF Coningsby

Thread: Special Visitor to RAF Coningsby

Special Visitor to RAF Coningsby

It's always stunning to see one of those flying - structurally, a perfect replica/reproduction of the original, and fitted with GE CJ610 jet engines (housed in original-design cowlings). That one of course is owned by Airbus Group and operated by the Messerschmitt Foundation, based at Manching, Germany, while two other flying examples are based in the US with the Military Aviation Museum (Virginia Beach) and Collings Foundation (Houston). The CJ610 engines are capable of producing more thrust than the original Jumo engines, so they're operated with restricted power. All three originally began construction at the Texas Airplane Factory (Herbert Tischler), before moving to Legend Flyers at Paine Field in Washington where they were completed and test flown.

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    It's always stunning to see one of those flying - structurally, a perfect replica/reproduction of the original, and fitted with GE CJ610 jet engines (housed in original-design cowlings). That one of course is owned by Airbus Group and operated by the Messerschmitt Foundation, based at Manching, Germany, while two other flying examples are based in the US with the Military Aviation Museum (Virginia Beach) and Collings Foundation (Houston). The CJ610 engines are capable of producing more thrust than the original Jumo engines, so they're operated with restricted power. All three originally began construction at the Texas Airplane Factory (Herbert Tischler), before moving to Legend Flyers at Paine Field in Washington where they were completed and test flown.
    Yes John and how it can be ignored by Microsoft as a milestone in aviation is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by shotgunshack View Post
    Yes John and how it can be ignored by Microsoft as a milestone in aviation is beyond me.
    Alas M$ is avoiding the warbirds, but if they should find a way to honor either the Heinkel He 178 or maybe the Gloster E.28/39 instead, at least neither of them were armed.
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

Members who have read this thread: 0