FlyingIron Simulations Bf-109G-6 Released 6/14 - Page 4
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: FlyingIron Simulations Bf-109G-6 Released 6/14

I barely ever had that much fun and joy with a new aircraft release, extremely well done inside and out, physically and visually.
    Mathias

SOH-CM-2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post

Cazzie, I like your version better, as the white outline is more accurate.
    Only one did not have the white border, one was high faded. As I said, anyone at SOH who wants my markings, simply send me a Notification here with their email addy and I'll send a .zip with the seven textures I did. No need to replace the .json file, just replace the textures.

Cazzie

Quote Originally Posted by DaveWG View Post

Another successful landing! Thought I'd nailed it that time, but bounced it.
    Ah! You 'Panthered' the aircaft!

Cees

Couple of decent captured liveries on Flightsim.to now (though I'm still hoping one of you paint whizzes does one of the really cool ones with US or British roundels painted right on top of the Nazi markings) so picked this up.

Just went on my first flight. Audio is really awesome, and matches well (externally) the videos I have of the Flying Heritage Collection Bf-109 flying from Paine Field.

And I'm proud to say I landed successfully on my first try! (Though I did do one go-around because I realized this was not a plane to land short and hard with!)

Flyingiron hinted that a paintkit was available. I bought the Me109 from their site but couldn't find the paintkit.

Anyone know how to get it ?

According to FlyingIron's representative on Discord, a paintkit is planned/not yet available.

I've been working on the paint layers needed for repaints of Bf 109G-2 "Black 6" (G-USTV) and Bruce Winter's Bf 109G-6 (N42109), so as to bring them into the product paintkit once available.

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    According to FlyingIron's representative on Discord, a paintkit is planned/not yet available.

I've been working on the paint layers needed for repaints of Bf 109G-2 "Black 6" (G-USTV) and Bruce Winter's Bf 109G-6 (N42109), so as to bring them into the product paintkit once available.
    Thank you John. :-)
    Richard

It's a good plane and more dialed-in on release day than FI's prior MSFS products.

I did a little fly-off this weekend against the Flight Replicas in P3D and the IL2 version. I guess it's a better experience than either of these.

The cockpit is nicer and more detailed than the FR and about a tie with the IL2. Flight handling is difficult to choose between the three. They all handle differently, but plausibly. I found the FI easier to master than the FR, harder than the IL2. Features like the ability to switch between manual and auto prop control are novel and welcome. Both the FR and IL2 airplanes do a few things better than FI, but on balance, the FI one meets my expectations for a Gustav in the sim.

Past and present 109G pilots avoid hard runways and favor turf with wide shoulders. That way if the airplane prefers a heading a few degrees different from what you planned, you can go with it, rather than risk trying to correct. I see a lot of us are opting for Duxford, which is a good choice. There's a good free Sywell airport that is also a good choice, as is Burning Blue's Goodwood. After a few flights, I found it pretty easy to operate from Virginia Beach 42VA with the addon scenery, which is where Jerry Yagen's 109G is based. It doesn't have as much margin for error but is adequate. Some modern 109G operators like Winter do not have the luxury of turf. They must have cultivated some extra skills, and I'm sure they prefer the widest runway available.

If you are having trouble with the plane constantly pulling left during taxi, try engaging the tailwheel lock when you want to go straight or make gentle turns to either side. Unlock it only when you want to make tight turns, especially tight left turns. Tight right turns probably aren't worth the effort!

Thinking about it, the 109G might have been the first fighter in which it was neither necessary nor advisable to use maximum power on takeoff. There were others later, like the Griffon Spits and maybe the Bearcat. And there were some 1930s racers that I'm sure you would take off with less than full throttle.

The 109G goes into the high-workload category of warbirds where you're pleased with yourself just for getting it up and down. Like the Aeroplane Heaven Spitfire Mk.I, it won't be an everyday flyer but I'll enjoy the occasional challenge.

August
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 109-2.jpg  

Cockpit video

A nice view of the cockpit and start-up.

Coincidentally, the number of the world's airworthy-active Bf 109s increased by one, just moments ago today. Eberhard Thiesen's restored Bf 109E-4 WkNr.1983 "Red 12", registered as D-FEML, made a successful first test flight today from its home airfield, Bonn-Hangelar, in Germany. The test flight was performed by well-known English warbird pilot, Charlie Brown. Of course the Bf 109E is quite different in most every detail compared to the Bf 109G-6, and is powered by the earlier DB 601 engine, rather than the DB 605 as fitted to the Bf 109G series. Although it too can be a challenge with ground handling and on takeoff and landing, it is generally considered more benign than the Bf 109G.

Photo taken today by Clari Sari:
    https://scontent.ffcm1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...HA&oe=64952561

Vey nice to see that people are still caring and restoring these old planes.
    Beautiful pic aswell. Thanks for sharing.

Nice looking little airport, Bonn-Hangelar. It appears to have a grass strip, not marked as a runway in MSFS, that is more generous and suitable for 109 operations than the 2624-ft paved runway. It is a runway in P3D, so maybe I shall take a hop in the A2A Emil from there this evening.

August

Interesting, Bonn is about 1.5 hours from here. I'll have to follow up on that one! Thanks for the heads up @John!
    i5 13600k, RTX2080 Super, 32 GB Ram, 2x1 TB M.2 SSDs, CRG9 49" Ultrawide screen

Thinking about some of the various airports and airfields that Bf 109s have operated in/out of in the modern era. Here are some that come to mind and the aircraft which have operated from those airfields over the years, whether visiting for flying events or based at the location. There are rather nice freeware (and a few payware) sceneries for many of these airports, including some of the more obscure types. I personally love the challenge of taking off and landing at the uneven and rather small grass airfields of Degerfeld, Oppenheim and Hahnweide, all of which you can find some nicely-made freeware scenery.

United Kingdom
    - Duxford EGSU (Bf 109G-2 G-USTV, Bf 109G-10 D-FDME, Bf 109G-4 D-FWME, and numerous Buchons)
    - Biggin Hill EGKB (Bf 109G-2 G-USTV, Bf 109G-10 D-FEHD, Bf 109G-4 D-FWME, Bf 109E-7 G-CIPB, Buchon G-AWHH)
    - Fairford EGVA (Bf 109G-4 D-FWME)
    - Farnborough EGLF (Bf 109G-4 D-FWME, Buchon G-AWHK)
    - Sywell EGBK (Buchons G-AWHM, G-AWHH, G-AWHC and G-AWHR)
    - Goodwood EGHR (Buchon G-AWHK, Buchon G-AWHH)
    - Old Warden EGTH (Buchon G-AWHK (others have flown in airshows there, but were operated out of other airfields))
    - Shoreham EGKA (Buchon G-AWHK, Buchon G-AWHE)
    - Headcorn EGKH (Buchon G-AWHK, Buchon G-AWHE)
    - Benson EGUB (Bf 109G-2 G-USTV)
    - Cosford EGWC (Buchon G-BWUE)
    - Dunsfold EGTD (Buchon G-AWHK)
    - North Weald EGSX (Bf 109G-10/Buchon D-FEHD, Buchon G-AWHK, Buchon G-BOML)
    - Breighton EGBR (Buchon G-BWUE)
    - Waddington EGXW (Buchon G-BWUE)
    - Wroughton EGDT (Bf 109G-2 G-USTV)

France
    - La Ferte-Alais LFFQ (Bf 109G-2 G-USTV, Bf 109G-6 D-FMBB, Bf 109G-4 D-FWME, Buchon D-FEHD, Buchon G-AWHC)
    - Melun-Villaroche LFPM (Buchon G-AWHM)

Germany
    - Heringsdorf EDAH (Bf 109G-6 D-FMBD, Bf 109G-6 D-FMGS, Bf 109G-14 D-FMGV, Bf 109G-12/Buchon D-FMGZ)
    - Manching ETSI (Bf 109G-6 D-FMBB, Bf 109G-10 D-FDME, Bf 109G-4 D-FWME, Bf 109G-12/Buchon D-FMGZ)
    - Oppenheim EDGP (Bf 109G-4 D-FWME)
    - Degerfeld EDSA (Bf 109G-4 D-FWME)
    - Zwickau EDBI (Bf 109G-6 D-FMBB)
    -
    Breitscheid EDGB (Buchon D-FMVS)
    - Hahnweide EDST (Bf 109G-6 D-FMBB, Buchon G-AWHH, Buchon G-BOML)
    - Bremgarten EDTG (Bf 109G-6 D-FMGS, Bf 109G-12/Buchon D-FMGZ, Buchon G-AWHM)
    - Bonn-Hangelar EDKB (Bf 109E-4 D-FEML)
    - Berlin-Schonefeld EDDB (Bf 109G-6 D-FMBB, Bf 109G-10 D-FDME, Bf 109G-4 D-FWME)
    - Schaffen-Diest EBDT (Buchon G-BOML)

Denmark
    - Roskilde EKRK (Bf 109G-4 D-FWME, Buchon G-BWUE)
    - Billund EKBI (Buchon G-BOML)

Switzerland
    - Bern LSZB (Buchon G-BOML)

Austria
    - Zeltweg LOXZ (Bf 109G-4 D-FWME)

Czech Republic
    - Pardubice LKPD (Buchon D-FMVS)

Finland
    - Turku EFTU (Buchon G-AWHH)

Netherlands
    -Lelystad EHLE (Buchon G-BOML)

New Zealand
    - Wanaka NZWF (BF-109G-10 D-FDME, Buchon G-AWHH)

Canada
    - Niagara South CNF9 (Bf 109E-7 CF-EML)
    - Boundary Bay CZBB (Bf 109G-10 N90602)
    - Abbotsford CYXX (Bf 109G-10 N90602)

United States
    - Willow Run KYIP (Bf 109E-7 CF-EML, Bf 109G-10 N90602)
    - Virginia Beach 42VA (Bf 109G-4 N109GY)
    - Vermilion County/Danville KDNV (Bf 109G-6 N42109)
    - Wittman Field/Oshkosh KOSH (Bf 109G-6 N42109, Bf 109G-10 N90602, Buchon N109W)
    - Madras Municipal S33 (Bf 109G-10 N90602)
    - Portland-Hilsboro KHIO (Bf 109G-10 N90602)
    - Snohomish/Paine Field KPAE (Bf 109E-3 N342FH)
    - Camarillo KCMA (Bf 109E-7 N81562)
    - Salinas KSNS (Buchon N109W)
    - Watsonville KWVI (Buchon N109W)
    - Nellis AFB KLSV (Buchon N109W)

*some of the aircraft listed are the same despite different registrations
    Last edited by Bomber_12th; June 19th, 2023 at 13:53.

Thanks John. I was thinking of asking if someone (meaning, of course, you) would post such a list. That must have taken you a while to compile.

Bf 109E-7 CF-EML also may have made it to Reading KRDG at least once, I think. I was there the year it was booked but didn't quite make it, it got as far as Pennsylvania but tech issues forced it down short of Reading.
    CF-EML also stopped to overnight at Windsor CYQG a time or two on the way to Willow Run, it was a convenient place to stop if you weren't going to arrive at the US Airport of Entry during customs business hours. And it participated in some CWH events at Hamilton CYHM.

Also, when CF-EML was N81562, its home base was Santa Monica, KSMO.

I would add Chino KCNO to the list as it was and is the base of Buchon N700E, which hopefully will fly again one of these days but last flew in 2000, which I'll call the "modern era." If your concept of "modern" goes back a few years longer, it had a few bases in the US before the wreck at Reno in 1981 that sent it to POF.

I think it would be helpful to identify which are the home bases, especially of the DB605 Bf 109Gs, in your list as opposed to points of visitation. Personally I often prefer starting or ending a warbird trip at "home."

August

Thank you, August. Of course now, when I can't edit my post any longer, you jogged my memory about Santa Monica being where CF-EML/N81562 was normally based when owned by David Price, and that it had its first post-restoration test flights done at Chino.

Here is just a list of only the DB 605-powered '109s that have flown in the last 30 years, and where they were/are based:

Bf 109G-2 G-USTV
    Test flying at RAF Benson EGUB
    Based at Duxford EGSU (Imperial War Museum)
    *was damaged in an engine failure induced landing accident in 1997 on what was to be its very last flight before going on permanent museum display - since restored and displayed at RAF Museum London

Bf 109G-6 D-FMBB/D-FMBD (same aircraft)
    Test flying/based at Manching ETSI (Messerschmitt Foundation)
    Test flying/based at Heringsdorf EDAH (Hangar10/Air Fighter Academy)

Bf 109G-10 D-FEHD/D-FDME (same aircraft)
    Test flying/based at Mannheim EDFM (Hans Dittes)
    Based at Duxford EGSU (Old Flying Machine Company)
    Based at Manching ETSI (Messerschmitt Foundation)
    *has been undergoing some restoration and deep maintenance over the past few years

Bf 109G-4 D-FWME
    Test flying/based at Degerfeld EDSA (Messerschmitt Air Co.)
    Based at Manching ETSI (Messerschmitt Foundation)
    *currently nearing completion of a total restoration following a takeoff accident in 2016

Bf 109G-12 D-FMGZ
    Test flying at Bremgarten EDTG
    Based at Heringsdorf EDAH (Hangar10/Air Fighter Academy)
    *the aircraft's firewall-forward section has since been returned to Merlin engine and Buchon cowlings, aircraft now based at Manching ETSI (Messerschmitt Foundation)

Bf 109G-14 D-FMGV
    Test flying/based at Heringsdorf EDAH (Hangar10/Air Fighter Academy)

Bf 109G-4 N109GY
    Test flying at Bremgarten EDTG
    Based at Virginia Beach 42VA (Military Aviation Museum)

Bf 109G-6 N42109
    Test flying/based at Vermilion County/Danville KDNV (Bruce Winter)
    *as far as I know, it hasn't moved south to Texas, where the owner keeps his Mustang
    Last edited by Bomber_12th; June 19th, 2023 at 19:40.

Thanks for all the hard work, that's excellent info.

I wonder how often, if at all, Winter's plane has flown since last Oshkosh. It sometimes happens that aircraft that debut at Oshkosh then go dormant for years.

August

Yeah, I was just wondering about that myself today, having not seen any photos/reports about his Bf 109 since last summer. On the other hand, Bruce Winter is known to fly his P-51 "Happy Jack's Go Buggy" just about every weekend, and I heard as of last year he has over 1,000 hrs flight time on it since it was completed in 2008 (you can compare that to say the P-51D "Little Rebel", which between 2009, when it first flew, and 2021, when Bob Baker sold it, it only had 88 hrs of flight time).

I'm curious as to what the longest span of time between overhauls has been of any of the DB 605 engines in operation over the past 30 years. I believe the TBO for the DB engines is generally quoted at 150 hrs, but I wonder if any of them have reached that stage without having a deep stripping-down. It seems they need rather regular deep maintenance, and some of the recent DB 601s have really needed a lot of tinkering with. Of course the Bf 109E G-CIPB has only flown a couple times since arriving in England in 2015, namely because of ongoing engine issues over the past several years (Peter Monk seems optimistic that it might fly this year). The Bf 109E that flew for the first time today, D-FEML, was originally completed and taxi-tested in 2017, but ran into engine issues which saw the engine pulled for the next few years. It finally had some taxi-testing last year, but still needed some engine tweaking before it was finally considered ready to fly this spring.

There are three main guys involved in DB engine overhauls, those being Siggi Knoll in Germany, Michael Rinner in Austria, and Mike Nixon in the US. The DB 605 that powered the restored Bf 109G "Black 6" was overhauled in the late 1980s by Rolls-Royce Heritage.

Unfortunately, it has appeared that the Hangar10/Air Fighter Academy's three airworthy Bf 109s have been static ever since the passing of its founder, Volker Schülke, a couple years ago (and the museum recently sold off their Spitfire). However, as of this past spring, the DB 605 from Hangar10's Bf 109G D-FMBD was removed and sent out for maintenance, so there is still activity/maintenance tasks taking place.

Quote Originally Posted by K5083 View Post
    Thanks John. I was thinking of asking if someone (meaning, of course, you) would post such a list. That must have taken you a while to compile.Bf 109E-7 CF-EML also may have made it to Reading KRDG at least once, I think. I was there the year it was booked but didn't quite make it, it got as far as Pennsylvania but tech issues forced it down short of Reading.CF-EML also stopped to overnight at Windsor CYQG a time or two on the way to Willow Run, it was a convenient place to stop if you weren't going to arrive at the US Airport of Entry during customs business hours. And it participated in some CWH events at Hamilton CYHM.August
    I remember seeing this 109 display when Red Bull hosted one of their air races on the Detroit River and it based out of Windsor then as well. Super cool! I believe the Canadian Harvard Aircraft Association hosted it at CYTB at least once as well.

"I Flew for the Fuhrer"

https://www.amazon.co.uk/I-Flew-Fuhr.../dp/1848326483

Excellent book, the author mostly flew Gustavs in the west, surviving multiple bale-outs, crashes and injuries.
    Understandably light on technical detail but you really get a feel for the life of the Luftwaffe pilots.

Quote Originally Posted by keithb77 View Post
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/I-Flew-Fuhr.../dp/1848326483

Excellent book, the author mostly flew Gustavs in the west, surviving multiple bale-outs, crashes and injuries.
    Understandably light on technical detail but you really get a feel for the life of the Luftwaffe pilots.
    Excellent book. Read it in grade school in the 1960s...and several times more in the years since.

Kent

I feel like I read it too, a long time ago.

The info on modern 109 bases provided by John reminded me that it has been a long time since I posted my database of Little Navmap userpoints for air museums, fly-in sites, and restoration shops, so I have just updated it with additional locations I have been gradually adding. It now contains 565 entries.

https://flightsim.to/file/23594/avia...-500-worldwide

August

If by any chance you're an Audible listening (gotta have something to listen to when doing chores or running!), that book is currently free for members. Author wasn't one of those "only flew for the Nazis because I had to" types -- he stayed a neo-Nazi after the war -- but despite disturbing personal views it's a good recounting of what combat was like from the viewpoint of the (thank the gods) losing side.

Here are a couple short video clips of the Bf 109E-4 WkNr.1983 that was successfully test flown for the first time yesterday and again today at Hangelar, Germany. The final work over the last several months to get the engine regularly running correctly was carried out by Dirk Bende GmbH. I've always noticed over the years that the DB 601 sounds a bit gentler/smoother than the later DB 605 in the Bf 109G, both inside and out.

Bf 109E WkNr.1983 D-FEML
    Startup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sROf40HknrI
    Taxi-out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcLltEmAlXE

Note the down elevator (to lighten the tail), short bursts of power, and boot-full of rudder and brake to get the aircraft to turn on the ground (as is mentioned in every Bf 109 pilot report).

There are some videos that I have seen posted on Facebook of the takeoffs and landings, but they are on a private group page.

Here are a couple excellent photos taken yesterday and today. It sounds like it might not be be remaining at Hangelar once flight testing is completed.
    https://www.airliners.net/photo/Unti...idb1C0yFMi0%3D
    https://www.airliners.net/photo/Untitled/Messerschmitt-Bf-109E-3/7270009/L?qsp=eJwtjbEKwkAQRP9lay1EsEgXUStFC39g2RviwZk79jZg CPl318NuePOYWUjyaPjYcy6gjipY5UUbKqz8rtQtpBhiNWWLee zFJk7unbaX8%2B3qXs1qx9lJYEMvgmIIf37XAP1VqNImB7/YeYA%2BWqb9wXmItSRuGzCOidb1C0yFMi0%3D

The aircraft was originally operated with JG.5 and downed by Hawker Hurricanes in combat near Murmansk, Russia in January 1942, where it was bellied-in. It remained there until it was recovered in 1993. The fuselage was restored/rebuilt by Craig Charleston in the UK, having been the third Bf 109E restoration he undertook (the previous two being Bf 109E WkNr.3579/G-CIPB and Bf 109E WkNr.1342/N342FH), with WkNr.1983/D-FEML considered the finest of the three. The wings were restored/rebuilt by Hartmair Leichtbau in Germany.

Charter Member 2011

I was not going to buy this aircraft

I gave in, and sure enough shortly after take-off developed a vision problem.

I quit the flight but on reloading the aircraft noticed that this appears to be a permanent affliction!

What did I do and how does one fix it??

Members who have read this thread: 3