- tail wheel lock
    - clear plugs

Final
    - speed around 200kmh, slats deployed and staying out, trim nose high
    - clear plugs
    - control speed by attitude (nose high)
    - descend rate by throttle. KEEP around 200kmh
    - just above ground, close throttle
    - KEEP the aircraft flying just above ground with increasing stick backwards (basic taildragger). DO NOT let the aircraft sink to the ground with speed. It will bounce a lot
    - BE PATIENT and wait for the touch down

In this way you can land with no or just a small bounce. If you land too fast and let the aircraft sink to the ground it will bounce a lot like all taildraggers.

Just a couple more things about landing.

The three-point touchdown speed is quite a lot lower than I'm sure many would be expecting, but is true to the real aircraft - around 145 kph or so. Anything much higher than that, and it's not going to settle/plant onto the runway as nicely. According to real world pilot reports flying the 'Gustav', the airspeed as you pass over the threshold and begin flaring is 175 kph, which of course is the last airspeed you would look for, since after that it is just about the visual picture and feel. Watching real world cockpit videos, the touchdown airspeed always looks to be about 145 kph, although the pilot of course is never paying attention to that at the time.

On the real aircraft, because of the toe-in geometry of the main gear, if you're carrying any drift at all when the wheels touch the ground, it will swing you in the direction
    that you're drifting. Therefore, in the real aircraft, it's always important just before touching down to remember to check that the slip ball is centered (it will mean the difference between tracking straight or a potential ground loop). '109 pilots always mention that most of the time you can never feel when the aircraft is slipping/drifting, so it can be a surprise to look down and notice that the ball is not centered. I don't think that the toe-in can be factored into the sim flight dynamics/ground handling, but the narrow-track gear of course can pose a challenge too if you're not squared-up enough when touching down.

I really like the fact that, with the FlyingIron Bf 109, if you're focused and really on it, it really is a joy to operate and provides such a great sense of satisfaction when you've done a good job. However, if you're too cavalier and not flying it as it's supposed to be, it will let you know in quick fashion. This all stacks up spot-on to pilot reports flying the real thing. It's also fulfilling to watch real world videos of Bf 109s flying today, and notice that what we experience in the sim with the FlyingIron Bf 109 matches so well with reality. You can look at more than two dozen videos online of real world Bf 109 landings in modern years, and while there are some perfectly-executed landings, there are just as many bumpy landings, and a few when wing tips nearly scraped the runway, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    Just a couple more things about landing.

The three-point touchdown speed is quite a lot lower than I'm sure many would be expecting, but is true to the real aircraft - around 145 kph or so. Anything much higher than that, and it's not going to settle/plant onto the runway as nicely. According to real world pilot reports flying the 'Gustav', the airspeed as you pass over the threshold and begin flaring is 175 kph, which of course is the last airspeed you would look for, since after that it is just about the visual picture and feel. Watching real world cockpit videos, the touchdown airspeed always looks to be about 145 kph, although the pilot of course is never paying attention to that at the time.

On the real aircraft, because of the toe-in geometry of the main gear, if you're carrying any drift at all when the wheels touch the ground, it will swing you in the direction
    that you're drifting. Therefore, in the real aircraft, it's always important just before touching down to remember to check that the slip ball is centered (it will mean the difference between tracking straight or a potential ground loop). '109 pilots always mention that most of the time you can never feel when the aircraft is slipping/drifting, so it can be a surprise to look down and notice that the ball is not centered. I don't think that the toe-in can be factored into the sim flight dynamics/ground handling, but the narrow-track gear of course can pose a challenge too if you're not squared-up enough when touching down.

I really like the fact that, with the FlyingIron Bf 109, if you're focused and really on it, it really is a joy to operate and provides such a great sense of satisfaction when you've done a good job. However, if you're too cavalier and not flying it as it's supposed to be, it will let you know in quick fashion. This all stacks up spot-on to pilot reports flying the real thing. It's also fulfilling to watch real world videos of Bf 109s flying today, and notice that what we experience in the sim with the FlyingIron Bf 109 matches so well with reality. You can look at more than two dozen videos online of real world Bf 109 landings in modern years, and while there are some perfectly-executed landings, there are just as many bumpy landings, and a few when wing tips nearly scraped the runway, etc.

Indeed the FI aircraft and especially the BF109 are so much more realistic and fun to fly than any other warbirds in MSFS. In contrast the AH Spitfire Mk1A and P51D lack a lot in flightmodelling. I think that everybody who buys FI aircraft will be reminded that just the average flying skills where you can get away with in most aircraft in MSFS is just not enough. It is not the aircraft that is at fault, but you, the pilot.

So much fun!

I'm sorry, but that last remark about AH is a bit unfair. I for one happen to love their models.

Their modelling is exquisite. AH/JF have been providing quality models to the flightsim community for ages.

Sorry, just had to come to their defense.

Cheers,

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    I'm sorry, but that last remark about AH is a bit unfair. I for one happen to love their models.

Their modelling is exquisite. AH/JF have been providing quality models to the flightsim community for ages.

Sorry, just had to come to their defense.

Cheers,

Priller
    Indeed they look perfect inside and outside, so much eye for details. I think the Spit cockpit looks more alive and real then that of the FI Mk IX. However with bespoke flight behaviour like the FI aircraft they would be even better, a further step forward. More realistic tail dragger behaviour during taxiing, take-off and landing. Wing drop on take off. But AH never claimed to bring models with true flight behaviour and realistic systems.

Quote Originally Posted by BananaBob View Post
    Yep, so far so good, except my landings always end pretty badly, LOL.
    Yes, jumping champion here. Trying to bend a propeller but they are not coded for that. Will keep trying. Love this plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaufighter View Post
    Yes, jumping champion here. Trying to bend a propeller but they are not coded for that. Will keep trying. Love this plane.
    Exercise the landing configuration and low speed <200 kmh first at altitude. When you are comfortable with the nose high attitude and slow speed behaviour then attempt a landing. And DO NOT fly the aircraft to the ground. Keep off at inches above ground and wait. The aircraft will sink (stall) down softly.

Thanks for tips on landing, Bomber but like Browncoat mentioned, it can't be him or I because we're both excellent pilots, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by ftl818 View Post
    Exercise the landing configuration and low speed <200 kmh first at altitude. When you are comfortable with the nose high attitude and slow speed behaviour then attempt a landing. And DO NOT fly the aircraft to the ground. Keep off at inches above ground and wait. The aircraft will sink (stall) down softly.
    That's pretty much what I do now. Get floating couple of feet above the runway, cut the throttle and hope she decides to land before the runway is out. Would be interesting to see how an Emil 3 or 4 would compare with a lot less weight.

Looking forward to test your livery later, John. Thank you very much for all the detailed work!
    i5 13600k, RTX2080 Super, 32 GB Ram, 2x1 TB M.2 SSDs, CRG9 49" Ultrawide screen

I've updated my repaint of WkNr.410077 (N42109) on Flightsim.to, so that, like the rest of the aircraft, the product stenciling on the drop tank has been removed and has been redone to match the accurate stenciling on the restored drop tank fitted to the restored -077 (correct sizes, placement and type face). I have to thank Mike Vadeboncoeur and Dave Young of Midwest Aero Restorations for their assistance.

https://flightsim.to/file/57719/messerschmitt-bf-109g-6-wknr-410077-n42109

Charter Member 2011
    Superb work, appreciate your giving the link also, makes life so much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Wing_Z View Post
    Superb work, appreciate your giving the link also, makes life so much easier.
    Thank you!

I've updated my repaint of WkNr.410077 (N42109) on Flightsim.to, so that, like the rest of the aircraft, the product stenciling on the drop tank has been removed and has been redone to match the accurate stenciling on the restored drop tank fitted to the restored -077 (correct sizes, placement and type face). I have to thank Mike Vadeboncoeur and Dave Young of Midwest Aero Restorations for their assistance.

Hi!

Let me just say, It's a fantastic repaint!! The representation of the RLM colour tones is spot on. I only spotted one slight mistake on the lower cowling door:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (2760).png 
Views:	12 
Size:	2.87 MB 
ID:	91269
    It reads "Offnen", but should read "Öffnen" and it reads "Kuhler", but should read "Kühler" in German. I hope it is not the same way on the RW restored aircraft, as for instance the word "Kraftstoffbehälter" on the drop tank contains the correct German-A.

Best regards,

Seawing

Ah, just spotted two more:

Name:	Screenshot (2761).png 
Views:	7 
Size:	3.43 MB 
ID:	91270
    It reads "Heir aufbocken" and "Heir anheben", but should read "Hier aufbocken" and "Hier anheben" (it's on both sides).

Name:	Screenshot (2762).png 
Views:	8 
Size:	2.93 MB 
ID:	91271
    And on the Oil Dip Stick it reads "Olpeilstab", which should be "Ölpeilstab".

Regards,

Seawing

Thank you, Seawing, I'll get right on to correcting those items. That was my worst fear, doing the German stenciling. The tail misspellings is purely my fault, where as the missing dots/umlauts of the nose stencils don't seem to be present in the photos I was working from of the restoration (it could just be that they didn't show up well in the photos), but I had seen those in other instances of those stencils and I'll get them added in too. Over the past day I've been wanting to make a slight change to the hue/tone of the RLM 04 yellow markings/stencils, as well as updating the main gear wheel hubs, so I'll inject all of these items into the next update.
    Last edited by Bomber_12th; July 8th, 2023 at 08:31.

Thank you, Seawing, I'll get right on to correcting those items. That was my worst fear, doing the German stenciling. The tail misspellings is purely my fault, where as the missing dots/umlauts of the nose stencils don't seem to be present in the photos I was working from of the restoration (it could just be that they didn't show up well in the photos), but I had seen those in other instances of those stencils and I'll get them added in too. Over the past day I've been wanting to make a slight change to the hue/tone of the RLM 04 yellow markings/stencils, as well as updating the main gear wheel hubs, so I'll inject all of these items into the next update.
    No worries! You're doing great!!
    One more thing a stumbled over. On the lower access steps (just aft of the wings) you put "Einsteigklappe". I think it should read "Einstiegklappe" on all Bf 109s. I would have to dig for a photo or a Luftwaffe technical order, though. It say "Einstiegklappe" on the FI paints and it makes more sense in German. If you want, I can try to confirm the actual stencil.

Best regards,

Seawing

Quote Originally Posted by seawing View Post
    No worries! You're doing great!!
    One more thing a stumbled over. On the lower access steps (just aft of the wings) you put "Einsteigklappe". I think it should read "Einstiegklappe" on all Bf 109s. I would have to dig for a photo or a Luftwaffe technical order, though. It say "Einstiegklappe" on the FI paints and it makes more sense in German. If you want, I can try to confirm the actual stencil.

Best regards,

Seawing
    I own the Messerschmitt Bf109 Owner's workshop Manual. Einsteigklappe is correct according to the photographs.

Name:	20230708_193034.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	196.5 KB 
ID:	91278

Paul

That is one I got right.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 305588013_5435785023194933_4265101379406541868_n.jpg   7-09.jpg  

Version 1.2 of my repaint is now available on Flightsim.to

Changes include:

- Corrected misspellings within a couple stencils around the tail and added missing umlauts/dots over a few letters within the stencils on the nose.
    - Updated main landing gear wheel hub textures.
    - Slightly adjusted hue/tone of the RLM 04 yellow markings & stencils for better in-game accuracy.
    - Added missing weathering layer to right wing.

That is one I got right.
    Ok, great! So it's all correct!!
    I just downloaded v1.2!

Regards,

Seawing

still working on this .
    snap02259 by Danny Best, on Flickr

Also one to look forward to @Spook! Seems like the alignment on the front is a lot of fun
    i5 13600k, RTX2080 Super, 32 GB Ram, 2x1 TB M.2 SSDs, CRG9 49" Ultrawide screen

That is looking great, Spook! I don't envy you doing the tulip markings, especially with so many individual sections of mapping around the nose. I really like the colors and over all color scheme.

My next repaint (very early work-in-progress) is decidedly less complex than my previous, depicting the restored Bf 109G-2 WkNr. 10639 Black 6 (G-USTV), which sparked my interest in the '109 back in the 1990s when it was still flying from Duxford. This aircraft, restored between 1972-1991, was first painted in this, its original 1942 desert scheme, in 1991, and then the paint scheme was completely redone again in 1996. Then, following the accident in 1997 and subsequent rebuild, it was of course repainted in this scheme for a third time. Each of those three iterations of its original wartime paint scheme have various and subtle differences between them. I've decided to depict it as it looked between '91-'95, which is my favorite iteration of the paint work, and relying really just on photos from that time period so that every detail will be right to that time period. Unlike any of the other Bf 109s that have flown since WWII, Black 6 is the only one that was almost entirely all original. With it, I'll also be including a repaint depicting the aircraft as it initially looked straight out of restoration, on its first flight, in over all RLM 02 primer and red-doped fabric.

Last edited by Bomber_12th; July 9th, 2023 at 16:35.

The latest issue of Classic Wings arrived in the mail today.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20230710_124113.jpg   20230710_124217.jpg   20230710_124302.jpg   20230710_124315.jpg   20230710_134705.jpg  

The latest issue of Classic Wings arrived in the mail today.
    I believe someone to be very happy here... am I right John?

Members who have read this thread: 3