Re-painting a Spitfire

Thread: Re-painting a Spitfire

Re-painting a Spitfire

For anyone who may have doubts about how weathered and worn Spitfires (or any aircraft for that matter) could get in the War should have a look at this:

https://s3-ap-southeast-2.amazonaws....eo/4249990.MP4

Sound is appalling but it is 80 years old!

I love the paint runs on the nose and the gallons of paint stripper going on.

Very interesting video Baz - thank for posting.

But I think this case really is the exception rather than the rule, and might even (I'd say most likely) have been roughly and badly painted up for this instructional film to get the point of a bad paint finish across.

I note there are no squadron codes on the Spitfire, so it could well have been a squadron hack, instructional airframe, or from an OTU. I think unless, you have photographic evidence of heavy weathering on a particular airframe,
    you cannot assume how bad it was or what it was like.

This is a mistake I think we have all seen on Flight Sim aircraft in the past, and also on plastic models, and on film aircraft, where it is totally unrealistic, and overdone!

Cheers

Paul

Can't agree. Why in the middle of a war would somebody take the time to deliberately bodge the paint on a valuable airframe just to make a point? And to whom? It would not show the quality of previous maintenance very well either would it?

Anyway, I think the video shows some other interesting things. No masks, goggles or protective stuff at all. The guy must have been breathing in all kinds of harmful stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post
    Can't agree. Why in the middle of a war would somebody take the time to deliberately bodge the paint on a valuable airframe just to make a point? And to whom? It would not show the quality of previous maintenance very well either would it?

Anyway, I think the video shows some other interesting things. No masks, goggles or protective stuff at all. The guy must have been breathing in all kinds of harmful stuff.
    Thanks for posting that, Baz! Love those kinds of peeks at history.

I've certainly seen plenty of photographs of WW2 planes with some crazy serious weathering.

Members who have read this thread: 0