Blackbird/Milviz Freebies: Phantom F-4J (only) issues - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blackbird/Milviz Freebies: Phantom F-4J (only) issues

Sorry for these questions, but did you add the "N" configuration to the NWS inside the MVAMS prog?
    Furthermore, did you really install the P3Dv4 version of the J? I heard about problems with the FSX version which also runs fine in P3Dv4 but with some issues, including the nosewheel steering which didn't work....
    Best regards, Manfred.

Quote Originally Posted by Manschy View Post
    ...with some issues, including the nosewheel steering which didn't work....
    This must be specially mapped thinks I.

Also you have to hold the mapped button down whilst operating the rudder to get nose wheel steering on the J (for the S it's a toggle)

If you install the fsx version then the payload manager (SHIFT 1) doesn't work and it ctds when engine starts, so pretty obvious...

Also you have to hold the mapped button down whilst operating the rudder to get nose wheel steering on the J (for the S it's a toggle)
    Mapped to my Saitek or the MVAMS? I have nothing mapped in the MVAMS and don't understand why it's needed.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

In mvams there is a line to map nws to a button on your stick, in the real life Phantom you have to hold down a button on the stick for the rudder pedals to steer the nose wheel and the Milviz is the same...

VERY tricky getting this F-4 to start on an AI Carriers carrier. Start with the default aircraft on the coast, slew out to sea, call up the boat slew to the launch spot, change to the MV F-4 - hopefully launch spot is exact, start up, and then hopefully can launch without moving it. Also, the GPU and chocks don't work I have found if the carrier is moving forward. I still find Slew gives a CTD often - not always (why?) and so after all this rigamoroll have crashed the sim and have to start all over again e.g., if not exactly on the launch spot and Slew is required.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

I
    n mvams there is a line to map nws to a button on your stick, in the real life Phantom you have to hold down a button on the stick for the rudder pedals to steer the nose wheel and the Milviz is the same...
    Many thanks - that did the trick and also got the drag chute mapped. I am gradually getting there thanks to your good help.

I've managed to launch from the Coral Sea (SWS) but not having much luck with AICarriers.

I can spawn the default formations, including the default carrier but

a, how can I spawn a plane on the deck to take off? Do I have to land first?

b, the default carrier doesn't seem to be moving.

c, I can't add any carriers (tried Midway, Antietam, Victorious) - I edit the .cfg file to add formations and can request them from the addons menu but the carriers fail to load
    (get the same error if I try to spawn them via SWS Carrier Extensions)
    Midway and Antietam are from SOH, Victorious from elsewhere. The UK destroyer that came with Victorious loads OK.

Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by keithb77 View Post
    The UK destroyer that came with Victorious loads OK.

Any thoughts?
    So in that case I would have a look at the place where your Victorious is located. Then probably I would add the carriers of your choice to that place maybe...
    Best regards, Manfred.

Thanks, but oddly it is the file-system location of the boat files causing the problem...I have two add-on's folders one mainly civilian, one mainly military but both enabled and loaded by the main sim.
    Coincidentally I had a copy of the Destroyer in both Simobjects\Boat subfolders...getting rid of one Boat folder and having everything in the other and the SWS Carrier Extensions module now loads all the carriers and other ships.
    I've removed AICarriers for now for a different reason, but I don't think I need it.

Navigation

Has anyone got the F4J Nav computer to step through a flight plan?

In the F4E if you set the Nav Comp panel on the front seat to Nav and the Nav panel in the rear seat right console to TGT2 (rotary, bottom left) then (if the Add-Ons Menu, F4, Fight Plan option 2 Step through is set) the HSI will indicate direction and distance to the next waypoint and when you are a couple of miles away, automatically flip to the next waypoint.

I can't get this to work in the F4J, in that the Nav panel in the rear set is repositioned and only has a TGT setting, no TGT2, and it doesn't indicate the waypoint

???

Deep in the archived Milviz phorum it suggests that for the J/S 'BASE' is used instead of TGT2...BASE is impossible to see, it's the vertical position of the rotary selector on the Nav panel in the rear seat - but sadly it still doesn't work

It's worth getting the navigation to work as it adds a new dimension to flying the Phantom from waypoint to waypoint round a tactical route -- shades of Tornado!

There are some good flightplans on Flightsim.to, the ones around the Lake District and Scotland are the best I think - although it's an MSFS site the .PLN files work in P3D, just copy them to the usual place in P3D.
    https://flightsim.to/file/51599/lfa14-raf-typhoon-low-level-sortie-lossiemouth-star-wars-valley-no-1-f-squadron
    https://flightsim.to/file/51613/lfa1...-and-ullswater
    I might do some out of Lakenheath for the F4E

Members +
    HB, Ca.-Seattle,Wa.-Fujieda-Shizuoka-Japan
    - Pitch, Yaw and Roll SAS switches to "on"
    - Found the trim indicator, and dialed in 3 degrees NOSE DOWN trim before pushing the throttles up (takes a LOT longer than I was taking to put in what I ASSUMED to be 3 degrees without looking at the guage.

Took off, cleaned up gear and flaps, came out of burner, and retrimed with no problem coming up through 250 KTS to 300 KTS.

Worked fine. Stabilized approaches, and landings were similarly do-able.
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit 22H2 Build 19045.4123
    Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 (BIOS F-10)
    Core i7 3770K
    G-Skill Trident X 32GB DDR3 CL7-8-8-24
    Asus RTX 2070 OC 8GB
    1TB Crucial MX500 SSD
    1TB RAW Mushkin SSD
    1TB RAW Mushkin SSD
    2TB PNY CS900 SSD
    LG Blue Ray Burner DL
    Rosewill mid tower Challenger
    Corsair RM 750 PSU
    Inateck KU5211 USB 3.2 Adapter
    LTERIVER PCE-G2S4 PCIe 4port SATA card
    X56 HOTAS
    Grassmonkey Joseph II Puck
    Oculus Quest 2
    TM 2x MFD Cougar
    T-Mobile Home Internet 5G (KDV21)

There is a performance mod on this website that makes it fly a lot easier.

Members who have read this thread: 57