Graphic Cards, too many to choose from

Thread: Graphic Cards, too many to choose from

Graphic Cards, too many to choose from

Been looking for a new graphics card to replace my Nvidia GTX 1050ti.
    I have settled on a Nvidia RTX 3060.
    The problem is the prices are all over the place, there are about 8 different companies that make them, they come with one, two, or three fans.
    Are there some companies that are better than others? Are three fans better than two? I do have a full size case, so I assume a three fan would fit.
    I would be happy with s solid 10 fps increase.

Should I just get a 3060ti, not for what it will do today, but hopefully for what will be coming with future updates?

The older I get, the more I wish the world wasn't so complicated.

More cooling is always better, but I'd suggest at least a 3070, which is what I have. I find that in most cases, with my eclectic mix of quality settings, that I can usually run 30-40 FPS in all but the most challenging of situations. The only thing that bogs this card down is heavy cloud cover, and I have my clouds set to Ultra because they look amazing there, but kinda crappy any lower.

Clouds have four settings - Low, Medium, High, and Ultra. I refer to those as Crap, Crap, Meh, and Amazing. If you want your weather to look good, you need to be able to run the clouds.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

The RTX 3060 Ti is definitely worth a look: https://www.techradar.com/reviews/nv...ce-rtx-3060-ti
    I've just got one as part of a pre-built PC package, it's an 8gb DDR6 two-fan model made by Asus on a mainboard also made by Asus - so look for a graphics card made by your mainboard manufacturer - that way any built-in overclocking (and rgb lighting) utility will work seamlessly.
    PLEASE NOTE: you may also need to upgrade your PSU because the RTX series have 8-pin power connectors where the GTX series have 6-pin connectors.

RTX 3060 over here, came in a pre built PC coupled with a I7 Processor with 5 fans to keep things cool, the case is a beast !!

Quote Originally Posted by tiger1962 View Post
    The RTX 3060 Ti is definitely worth a look: https://www.techradar.com/reviews/nv...ce-rtx-3060-ti
    I've just got one as part of a pre-built PC package, it's an 8gb DDR6 two-fan model made by Asus on a mainboard also made by Asus - so look for a graphics card made by your mainboard manufacturer - that way any built-in overclocking (and rgb lighting) utility will work seamlessly.
    PLEASE NOTE: you may also need to upgrade your PSU because the RTX series have 8-pin power connectors where the GTX series have 6-pin connectors.
    Thanks for the information. I have an Asus motherboard, an Asus 3060 would be my first choice.
    I had to get the paperwork out for my PSU which is a 750watt model, it came with a number of cables, two of which are for a 8 pin connector, so I should be ok.

Lot of times in MSFS the bottleneck lies in the CPU. It will be interesting to see how high/ultra settings will affect sim performance once the RTX4090 (or any RTX 3k series+) meet the R9 7950x3D. (Yes, the 3DVcache one).

https://youtu.be/DuMiYGvJGek
    Cheers, MZee ...

W11, Ryzen 9 7950X3D, GeForce RTX 4090 AERO OC, ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming, G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30 AMD EXPO 32GB (2), Kraken Z73 360mm, Lian Li UniFan SL120 V2 (10), Samsung 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe 2TB (4), MEG Ai1300P, Lian Li O11D XL, Logitech Z906 5.1, T16000M FCS HOTAS, Xbox Controller, Acer Nitro XV282K 4K UHD LED.

All white "Arctic" build.

After having used my ASUS 1080ti 11gb since 2017, it is still running like gangbusters! NC

A little update, I ordered an Asus 3060ti from B and H photo for $460, should be here in a few days.
    I'm glad the subject of PSU's was brought up. I thought I would be OK with my OCZ 750 watt unit which I thought I had installed about 7 years ago.
    I looked up the average lifespan of a PSU and it was an average of 6-7 years, I got my receipt out and it turns out it is going on 11 years old and the warranty on it was 5 years. ( I'm 72, times goes by very quickly at this age.)
    I decided to get a new Corsair 850 watt to install when the graphics card goes in as it was probably a matter of time before it quit with the added power needed with the 3060ti. I got 11 years out of it without any trouble.
    I am very surprised at how well the GTX1050 ti is working, I'm now getting 24-25 fps from the cockpit view with a mixture of medium and high settings and three settings on ultra.
    The two settings that I changed that made a huge difference was setting the Off-screen terrain to ultra and setting the norton setting to automatically go into silent mode whenever it detected fullscreen was being used.

Members +
    HB, Ca.-Seattle,Wa.-Fujieda-Shizuoka-Japan
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudyjo View Post
    A little update, I ordered an Asus 3060ti from B and H photo for $460, should be here in a few days.
    I'm glad the subject of PSU's was brought up. I thought I would be OK with my OCZ 750 watt unit which I thought I had installed about 7 years ago.
    I looked up the average lifespan of a PSU and it was an average of 6-7 years, I got my receipt out and it turns out it is going on 11 years old and the warranty on it was 5 years. ( I'm 72, times goes by very quickly at this age.)
    I decided to get a new Corsair 850 watt to install when the graphics card goes in as it was probably a matter of time before it quit with the added power needed with the 3060ti. I got 11 years out of it without any trouble.
    I am very surprised at how well the GTX1050 ti is working, I'm now getting 24-25 fps from the cockpit view with a mixture of medium and high settings and three settings on ultra.
    The two settings that I changed that made a huge difference was setting the Off-screen terrain to ultra and setting the norton setting to automatically go into silent mode whenever it detected fullscreen was being used.
    You'd be miles ahead if you used either Windows built in AV or Avast Free Edition then exclude the sim files from being scanned. Norton buries itself too far into the OS.
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit 22H2 Build 19045.4123
    Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 (BIOS F-10)
    Core i7 3770K
    G-Skill Trident X 32GB DDR3 CL7-8-8-24
    Asus RTX 2070 OC 8GB
    1TB Crucial MX500 SSD
    1TB RAW Mushkin SSD
    1TB RAW Mushkin SSD
    2TB PNY CS900 SSD
    LG Blue Ray Burner DL
    Rosewill mid tower Challenger
    Corsair RM 750 PSU
    Inateck KU5211 USB 3.2 Adapter
    LTERIVER PCE-G2S4 PCIe 4port SATA card
    X56 HOTAS
    Grassmonkey Joseph II Puck
    Oculus Quest 2
    TM 2x MFD Cougar
    T-Mobile Home Internet 5G (KDV21)

Quote Originally Posted by udidwht View Post
    You'd be miles ahead if you used either Windows built in AV or Avast Free Edition then exclude the sim files from being scanned. Norton buries itself too far into the OS.
    I will look into it, thanks for the information.

Quote Originally Posted by udidwht View Post
    Could you elaborate a bit on your Norton comment please ?...

I am a Norton user probabely almost all my computer life and never have i ever been pestered by virusses or any other sort of alien attacks. In order to gain more fps in MSFS you mean i should throw Norton overboard and trust Windows 10 AV to do the same job ? ( must say i do find the upgrade to this and upgrade to that suggestions i get from Norton every now and then pretty annoying..)

I just feel comfortable with Norton telling me i am 100% safe. Must say i'm not unfamiliar with the word naive... ;-)

Would love a bit more fps in MSFS, sure. How much gain in fps exactly are you talking about if i say goodbye to Norton ? ( i9 9900K 3.60GHz, RTX2080Ti, i'd say currently 30-40 fps average, 20-25 over heavy scenery)

Thanks very much!

I‘ve been using Norton since 2005 and also never had any issues. One has to exclude certain files and folder but that is the case with almost all AV solutions.

With regard to the 3060Ti, I’d make sure to get the latest model with the GDDR6X memory.
    Greetings
    Tim

i5 12600K | 32Gb | RTX 4080

Members who have read this thread: 0