rabaul island

Thread: rabaul island

rabaul island

Has anyone done a war time scenery of Rabaul Island? I haven't been able to find one, but that don't mean there isn't one.
    Do not fear the enemy, for they can take only your life. Fear the media far more, for they will destroy your honour.

Out of luck im afraid, ive had a look and found nothing, stock Rabaul ( Tokua AYTK ) is post war and quite a few mile's east from the war time airfields. You could open up ADE9 and do a simple retro job on Tokua, with a good add-on mesh, its a very attractive place to fly

One caveat about mesh. If the mesh is based on current information it won't be the same as wartime Rabaul.

As we all know, the town and military base at Rabaul was built on the shore of Simpson Harbor, a fine deep water anchorage in the crater of an extinct volcano.

Well, in those days it was thought to be extinct. Dormant would've been a more accurate term. In 1994 the caldera that formed Simpson Harbor blew an enormous eruption that completely buried Rabaul under a huge heap of volcanic ash and altered the topography of that end of New Britain.

I don't know the details but it seems pretty likely that at least some of the locations where the airfields were are no longer flat ground. Some of them might even be under water now.

This is probably why the present airfield is in a different location.

Thanks guys. I'd been flying an A6M2 from Rabaul in my IL2, BAT and was surprised to find not much in my GW3 install. Thought I might have missed something.
    Do not fear the enemy, for they can take only your life. Fear the media far more, for they will destroy your honour.

some of Maskriders' CFS2 sceneries will work in fs9 its a bit of trial and error though

ttfn

Pete

If you want some good Pacific airfield's for FS9, there's a couple in the SOH Donationware Corsair pack that are very pleasing, i only just discover'd them a few weeks back, they've been in the library for over a decade

Thanks Ian and MM. Got 'em now.

Library Staff
    Have you tried UncleTgt's New Britain scenery for CFS2? The GSL object scenery obviously won't work in FS9 but the terrain and airfields might show up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rabaul.jpg  

maskrider's site is still active (for the time being since he passed,) here ----> http://www.mask-rider.net/MaskRider2...tock-mnms.html

ttfn

Pete

Oh! That looks good.

Say kdriver, what did you do to get your Rabaul harbor to look like that. I added UT New Britain scenery but mine is not as green and there is no pier and such. Did you add something else?

I think Kdriver provided a screen of CFS2, you wont get any buildings or objects in FS9, but ive installed the UT New Britain scenery myself and im getting landclass and alter'd coastline's and the airfields, im very pleased and surprised by how well it works, im working on a basic AFD for Lakunai (Rabaul No1) which was the main airfield in the area

Library Staff
    Yes, as Ian says, that's a CFS2 screenshot. UncleTgt has provided the greener textures from FSX. They are placed in the New Britain texture folder and I think they should override the stock textures in the Scenery/World/texture folder.

The pier and surrounding infrastructure are CFS2 destructible GSL objects which are not compatible with FS9.

I recommend installing the rest of UT's SW Pacific scenery if you want an excellent WW2 era look. All of MaskRider's fine work is now duplicated on this site as well.

Thanks KD. I'm going to do that very thing.

Members who have read this thread: 0