VelocityOne Flightstick

Thread: VelocityOne Flightstick

SOH-CM-2023

VelocityOne Flightstick

I purchased the VelocityOne(VOFS) flightstick direct from Turtlebeach. The price, using a coupon, was $124 with free delivery. It arrived within 3 days by motor freight.

I'd been using exclusively Logitech's Extreme 3D Pro for two decades and thought it time for something more up to date.

What was most wanted was a stick that when released would return more precisely to its home position. Other convincing features of the VelocithOne FS included Hall effect stick sensing, two hat switches, two multifunction levers, several buttons many of which are illuminated and a trim wheel. The styling and colored lighting of the stick and buttons in the early ads were very tempting.

After receiving the VOFS other nice feature stood out including the extreme position indents of the throttle that turn on the afterburner and provide reverse thrust for props. Of course the planes must have those features.

The VOFS is not without faults or complaints. Some of those follow:

The base of the unit is not deep enough to avoid tipping due to the force needed to push the stick forward or back. Tipping can be avoided by mounting the stick with provided screws to a stable surface. Tipping can also be subdued by applying downward force while pushing the stick. Avoiding extreme flying conditions helps too but would be impossible in combat or stunt flying.

When the VOFS is plugged into the PC, speaker sound is turned off for normal use. The sound for MSFS comes on after the Asobo and 40th anniversary screens. Also, one must change the MSFS sound settings to speakers (when wanted) since the VOFS defaults to headphones. Since my PC occasionally has problems that others do not, this sound problem may be only unique to me.

Buttons set for Cowl flaps don't work for the Connie and DC3. The flaps flutter slightly but to not open. It appears that the flaps for these planes must be opened in the plane.

The tiny touchpad works but takes skill to use effectively. Pause mode is recommended.

In conclusion the VOFS met my expectations and beyond. I can live with the complaints but I sure wish I did not have to plug/unplug the USB connection for MSFS/Normal use for speaker sound.

Thanks for the report!

You can probably fix the sound issue outside of MSFS by:

1) Plug in the joystick

2) Go to Settings / System / Sound

3) Make sure your speakers are set as the output, vs the headphone jack.

4) Click "More Sound Settings" on the System/Sound screen

5) Find your speakers in the old-style Windows settings dialog that opens up, right-click them, and choose "Set as Default Device."

This is how to do it in Win 11; instructions might vary a bit on older Windows versions.

This thing looks pretty good. I wonder if the X52 without the stick plugged in would work as just a throttle axis while using the VOFS for the rest of the controls. I'll have to test this tomorrow when I fire up the sim again. But since it's 1900 local, it's time to head out for supper and "adult beverages!"
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

SOH-CM-2023
    Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    Thanks for the report!

You can probably fix the sound issue outside of MSFS by:

1) Plug in the joystick

2) Go to Settings / System / Sound

3) Make sure your speakers are set as the output, vs the headphone jack.

4) Click "More Sound Settings" on the System/Sound screen

5) Find your speakers in the old-style Windows settings dialog that opens up, right-click them, and choose "Set as Default Device."

This is how to do it in Win 11; instructions might vary a bit on older Windows versions.

Thanks,DennyA, so much for your solution. Worked a charm.

A nice reviiew at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGbG8NL2_f0

Awesome! I'm so glad that worked!

SOH-CM-2023
    The VelocityOne flight stick base rocks forward /back when fully using the pitch up or down capabilities, thus losing control. Turtlebeach recommends bolting the stick to a table or using their $200 stand. I solved the problem with a simple 8.5 x 8.5 inch piece of plywood, four soft plastic cushions and the supplied screws.

The stable result allows full force forward and back using all the sticks control electronics without tipping the base. Simple to build and great results.

Members +
    HB, Ca.-Seattle,Wa.-Fujieda-Shizuoka-Japan
    It would have been perfect had they put both sliders side by side as opposed to one on one side vs the other.
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit 22H2 Build 19045.4123
    Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 (BIOS F-10)
    Core i7 3770K
    G-Skill Trident X 32GB DDR3 CL7-8-8-24
    Asus RTX 2070 OC 8GB
    1TB Crucial MX500 SSD
    1TB RAW Mushkin SSD
    1TB RAW Mushkin SSD
    2TB PNY CS900 SSD
    LG Blue Ray Burner DL
    Rosewill mid tower Challenger
    Corsair RM 750 PSU