Lancer VC-Update

Thread: Lancer VC-Update

Lancer VC-Update

A nice Virtavia B-1B Lancer that had been payware at one time. Found on Simviation and immediately I decided to put future scenery on hold and upgrade the interior textures. The one area I always enhance is the main gauge panel but in this case that wasn't possible. The working gauges are not set into a bezel I can redo at better resolution, these are all a combination of bezel and gauge in one so I had to move on to the other interior textures which were mostly 512x512 or lower. I found an excellent website "The National Museum of the Air Force" which contained 360 degree, hi res views of the various compartments for the B1 Bomber. It afforded me some excellent views in detail of every area of the cockpit. I was also able to get excellent screenshots of areas to copy and reproduce to enhance the blurry textures and make things easier to read and a bit more realism than the original.

I'm going to upload what I've done so if anyone is interested, it'll be available in a day or so.

Lancer-2022-nov-14-001 by Ed Wells, on Flickr
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Cool find and upgrade plan Ed!
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

This must be an old, old version of it! (Maybe FS9?) I've had my Virtavia B-1 they did for FSX for a long time and the VC doesn't look like this. It does seem like they constantly update stuff though. Heck, they just finished their FSX B-24 series off last year with early and naval versions including the Privateer. (Which I've wanted for a long time!) They may not be study level sims but their attention to their product and the out of the ordinary aircraft choices is probably why I have more Virtavia add ons than any one else's in my hangar!
    (In fact the Aphasim F-89 was my first add on ever!) I do wish they'd update their TSR2 though.

Good luck on the VC Falcon for this one Falcon. It'll be fun to watch the progress and to see what you can do with it!

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Patterson View Post
    This must be an old, old version of it! (Maybe FS9?) I've had my Virtavia B-1 they did for FSX for a long time and the VC doesn't look like this. It does seem like they constantly update stuff though. Heck, they just finished their FSX B-24 series off last year with early and naval versions including the Privateer. (Which I've wanted for a long time!) They may not be study level sims but their attention to their product and the out of the ordinary aircraft choices is probably why I have more Virtavia add ons than any one else's in my hangar! (In fact the Aphasim F-89 was my first add on ever!) I do wish they'd update their TSR2 though. Good luck on the VC Falcon for this one Falcon. It'll be fun to watch the progress and to see what you can do with it!
    Yes, this is an FS9 version (1.2) and the image I posted above is the end product, not the beginning, lol.

Current System Specs:

Uploaded this morning.

Current System Specs:

Thanks! Got it... Very nice...

For afterburner effect, I'm using "fx_iris_f16_aniburner.fx" instead of "fx_ALPHA_B1B_AB.fx". Works fine...

Nice shots thanks!
    Also, for any FS9'ers reading this I converted the "dds" textures to extended bitmaps and reduced the oversized textures to 1024x1024. Replacement textures have been uploaded to the Warbirds Library.

Current System Specs:

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Yes, this is an FS9 version (1.2) and the image I posted above is the end product, not the beginning, lol.
    Well the important thing is the price! If I didn't have the B-1 I'd get yours. Some of the freeware in my hangar is pretty obscure stuff that's been ported. On a rare bird I'm fine with a rudimentary VC and the main six gauges (and your VC looks better than some in my hangar) and I don't complain because I can't do any better. (More like at all, and now we're on another sim!) I have been working with MCX and have learned how to get the Shockwave lights in animated models, fixed two planes that would disappear in tower view and fixed the flap animation on Project Tupolev's Il-62. (Extra entries in the flap animation were corrupting the inboard flaps.) So I feel like I'm making headway. I just wish I could have a month long crash course with someone like you, Milton or Duckie (for textures) looking over my shoulder to help me learn the ropes a bit quicker actually making stuff from scratch. (At least Milton put out the YouTube series and made this page https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/pr...N#FoldingWings which I constantly refer to and is almost as good as having him there.) The nice thing is that almost everybody here in the forum contributes ideas and 99% of what I do know I learned here. This year was the first year I actually uploaded stuff to the site with two modified VC to eliminate see-through sections and two views for runway seating at EAA. Small potatoes but it made me feel good to finally contribute something to the site!

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Patterson View Post
    Well the important thing is the price! If I didn't have the B-1 I'd get yours. Some of the freeware in my hangar is pretty obscure stuff that's been ported. On a rare bird I'm fine with a rudimentary VC and the main six gauges (and your VC looks better than some in my hangar) and I don't complain because I can't do any better. (More like at all, and now we're on another sim!) I have been working with MCX and have learned how to get the Shockwave lights in animated models, fixed two planes that would disappear in tower view and fixed the flap animation on Project Tupolev's Il-62. (Extra entries in the flap animation were corrupting the inboard flaps.) So I feel like I'm making headway. I just wish I could have a month long crash course with someone like you, Milton or Duckie (for textures) looking over my shoulder to help me learn the ropes a bit quicker. (At least Milton put out the YouTube series which is almost as good as having him there.)
    I have never been able to get my head around converting FS9 to native FSX. . .if I could I'd most likely go from scenery design to full time conversions as I have always come across airplanes that I enjoy flying but have minimal function in the VC due to coding issues that could be rectified by doing such a conversion.

Current System Specs:

I tried a quick McX conversion, and it doesn't look good... Missing flaps, inversed elevators, funky rudder, transparency issues... But nothing out of the ordinary. For some experienced converters, it's easlily fixable. And there's some good resources too, like this wonderful tutorial at CalClassic. But it takes time, and a lot of patience... which I don't have...

A valiant attempt none the less. Nice that you gave it a good try though.

Current System Specs:

Icon22

You can still find The Bone at Virtavia's web site under Freeware.
    It shifted from Alphasim to Virtavia in name only but the MSI download is an auto-installer.

http://www.virtavia.com/Freeware/

SOH-CM-2023
    Quote Originally Posted by vonstroheim View Post
    I tried a quick McX conversion, and it doesn't look good... Missing flaps, inversed elevators, funky rudder, transparency issues... But nothing out of the ordinary. For some experienced converters, it's easlily fixable. And there's some good resources too, like this wonderful tutorial at CalClassic. But it takes time, and a lot of patience... which I don't have...

Yeah, some of the parts have non compatible names. Also you have to make sure you have the control surface parts renamed to the name that doesn't have the word percent in it. Also had to add alpha to the glass texture to allow transparency.

Soon as I flight test it, I'll have one converted that also has hardware nav lights that swing with the wings.
    You can't take the sky from me...

SOH-CM-2023

Native Model

Here we go. Quick and dirty FSX Native Alpha B-1B model and VC.

No real changes from Milton's work except what is needed to the model.

Things I did:

Native materials, hard coded wingtip nav lights that swing with the wings. Taxi light goes out when the gear retracts. Added alpha to the glass texture to make it transparent and also made it reflective. All exterior textures made reflective if an alpha channel is added to the texture.

You should comment out the first two entries in the lights section of the aircraft cfg so you don't have phantom nav lights when the wings are forward.

If Falcon want's to integrate this with his file Go for It!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3D3-2022-nov-20-001.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	451.8 KB 
ID:	88979
    Attached Files Attached Files

Bloody Brilliant Brian!! Just took a trial run to Nellis from North Texas. . .nice to have full function VC click spots now. Since the initial upload has been in the Warbirds Library and accumulated a fair number of downloads I plan on uploading this update as a separate download for those who already have the airplane and as a second download for those who have yet to get the airplane. Thank you very much Brian.

Current System Specs:

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Gladden View Post
    Here we go. Quick and dirty FSX Native Alpha B-1B model and VC...
    Good job Brian, thanks!

Scenery: Lybia, El Uotia HL75 + Africa photoreal. Repaint by Pierre l'Heureux (texture.proto.zip @ avsim)

Okay, I could use some clarification on the various updates.

I have the FSX version of the Lancer from Virtavia, version 1.1 according to the notes.

If I understand what's going on, the changes from Falcon are primarily for the panel textures? Or should I start from scratch with Brian's mods?

I haven't flown it for a while, but curiosity is getting the best of me.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by WarHorse47 View Post
    Okay, I could use some clarification on the various updates. I have the FSX version of the Lancer from Virtavia, version 1.1 according to the notes. If I understand what's going on, the changes from Falcon are primarily for the panel textures? Or should I start from scratch with Brian's mods? I haven't flown it for a while, but curiosity is getting the best of me.
    If you already have the "payware" FSX Lancer from Virtavia (they released a Native FSX version) then you don't need any of this. The one in this thread was the FS9 payware version (V1.2) that Virtavia released as freeware. I made texture updates to the VC and Brian was nice enough to convert the FS9 version to native FSX. On the other hand, of you have the B-1B that I recently uploaded with the VC updates, then all you need will be the Native FSX update that Brian posted a link to here.

Current System Specs:

Thankyou Ed and Brian for these great mods. Flying her right now in P3Dv4. One issue I have is the flaps cannot be independently of the swing wing. The normal button/key control for flaps move the wings but the flaps stay partly down in all wing positions.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

SOH-CM-2023
    Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    Thankyou Ed and Brian for these great mods. Flying her right now in P3Dv4. One issue I have is the flaps cannot be independently of the swing wing. The normal button/key control for flaps move the wings but the flaps stay partly down in all wing positions.
    On my P3D V3 set up the wings sweep forward then start dropping flaps. I didn't mess with the animation timing as that is beyond my skill set and probably the original programming. I used the FSX SDK
    to compile so it would be more compatible with the older sims. If someone has MCX with the V4 SDK, perhaps they can get it working properly since it sounds like a difference between V-3 and 4.

Thanks for the reply. Works same for me in P3Dv4 Brian though I would have thought the flaps would clean up in not just the fully swept back position as with the F 14 and F 111?

Members who have read this thread: 1