Sim Update 11/40th Anniversary Edition available now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sim Update 11/40th Anniversary Edition available now

Icon4 Sim Update 11/40th Anniversary Edition available now

Today we celebrate the exciting history of aviation with the release of the Microsoft Flight Simulator 40th Anniversary Edition, the most advanced version of this beloved franchise yet. Among the many features included in this update is a true-to-life airliner, the Airbus A310-300, rendered with stunning accuracy.

The 40th Anniversary Edition also features, for the first time since the platform’s 2006 release, helicopters and gliders that perform with amazing life-like realism. We’re also introducing seven renowned historical aircraft: the 1903 Wright Flyer, the 1915 Curtiss JN-4 Jenny, the 1927 Ryan NYP Spirit of St. Louis, the 1935 Douglas DC-3, the beautiful 1937 Grumman G-21 Goose, the 1947 Havilland DHC-2 Beaver, and the famous 1947 Hughes H-4 Hercules “Spruce Goose,” the largest seaplane and wooden aircraft ever built.

We have also added four classic airports, including the Meigs Field in Chicago, a traditional home airport for the Microsoft Flight Simulator franchise.

It is an incredibly exciting update celebrating aviation history, introducing significant technical advancements in flight dynamics and simulation and featuring two new types of aircraft (gliders and helicopters) - all to delight our community and showcase the beauty and the thrill of flight!

In summary, the Microsoft Flight Simulator 40th Anniversary Edition delivers the following brand-new content:

• 1 true-to-life Airbus A310 airliner
    • 2 helicopters and 14 heliports
    • 2 gliders and 15 glider airports
    • 7 famous historical aircraft including the Hughes H-4 Hercules (also known as the Spruce Goose)
    • 4 classic commercial airports
    • 24 classic missions from the franchise’s past

FULL RELEASE NOTES: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t...ailable/555296

389.7mb update to the launcher, 21.71GB update via Installation Manager for the Steam version.

Some of the new content is optional and must be downloaded via the in-game Marketplace. If you are looking for a new item that came with the update but cannot find it, double check that you have downloaded it from the Martketplace first.

If you would like to read something to occupy your time while waiting for the update to download, here are some articles regarding the 40th Anniversary Edition.

FS Elite: Hands-On with Flight Simulator 40th Anniversary Edition

The Verge: How Microsoft finally landed helicopters and gliders for Flight Simulator(Jorg Nuemann Interview)

Downloading now...going quickly...

Hooo-wheee, just seen the DC-3 is around 10gb on it's own!

All downloading well here in Blighty but my 1Tb SSD drive is gonna fill up pretty quickly!

Keith.

**Edit** Took just over an hour to download everything.

downloading now, going slow...
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Installed! The DC-3 is just amazing! Haven't done any fancy stuff yet, just a quick trip around the Phoenix area to get a feel for the grand old dame. The visuals are crisp and clean, the sounds are quite honestly thrilling.
    Expect banging, belching and an occasional manly fart as you roar down the runway at full power. (I have found that the engine can make similar noises)

but why do we always get these utterly ridiculous paintschemes? Same with the JU-52 and all other MS releases.
    oh well...
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.

All looks good...but no more flying for me until tomorrow now!

Note that the A310 and DC-3 are separate downloads in the Marketplace and aren’t included as part of the update process.

Sad that the Secret Shuttle mission from FSX didn’t get included, because (1) we would have had a “stock” UFO object, and (2) I did a voice for that.

Downloading now!

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    but why do we always get these utterly ridiculous paintschemes? Same with the JU-52 and all other MS releases.
    oh well...
    For most of the planes, you can search for "Aviators Club" in the Content Manager, select those liveries, and delete them from your drive. I have 94 Aviators/Xbox Aviators liveries showing in my "Not Installed" list at this point.

oh well...
    100% with you...what a regretfull! and what about C-47? where is it?
    Otherwise no problems with download and install.

DC-3 is there for me, no content manager/marketplace downloads needed...

I am going to need a RAF DC-3 livery ASAP though (and an Army Air Corp one for the Beaver) if Jankees is taking requests....

downloading now, going slow...
    Looks like my D/L has taken 4 hours.
    T43

Quote Originally Posted by Beaufighter View Post
    and what about C-47? where is it?
    I have a C-47:
    Screenshot (1594) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

Screenshot (1601) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

Screenshot (1610) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

just a quick and easy attempt at a repaint, we continue tomorrow

Mmmm, the DC-3 is a good looker, yet flies sooo badddd..... real shame.
    Also the runway rattle seems to start when the plane is in the air.

Marcel

The Jenny is a nice piece of work. So is the Milviz Beaver and the Spruce Goose.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Fortunately the 40th Anniversary planes seem to be fully editable - all the .cfg, .xml and .gltf files are visible.

SOH-CM-2023

DC3 comments

Will there be real life liveries for the DC3 in the Marketplace? Saw none there today.

My hatswitch shows the left window correctly looking left but not the right window looking right. See the left window looking right.

Nice documentation in the Official folder. Contains limitations when using cntrl-e.

The main part of the update went smoothly for me but now while trying to download the content manager updates I keep getting connection lost warnings and getting thrown into offline mode

I guess I'll leave it for now and try again later.
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous Beans View Post
    The main part of the update went smoothly for me but now while trying to download the content manager updates I keep getting connection lost warnings and getting thrown into offline mode
    It's been happening all day. I'm sure the massive amount of D/Ls today, took a toll on their servers.
    I pass gas!

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous Beans View Post
    I guess I'll leave it for now and try again later.
    That's why I almost always wait a day or two to grab my updates...
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

SOH-CM-2024
    Kudos, went off without a hitch, even in the Content Manager. And Nvidia just released new game ready drivers to boot.

Cazzie

The hilos hover nicely, look and sound great, but trim controls do not seem to work and forward flight gets out of control almost instantly. I read you must re-assign your controller trim for these and set trim assist to "on" in the sim, but that does not seem to work either. Grumman Goose looks good, but the radial sound is awful. The DC3 is very AH. Oh well, These are free. How can I complain?
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Quote Originally Posted by keithb77 View Post
    DC-3 is there for me, no content manager/marketplace downloads needed...

I am going to need a RAF DC-3 livery ASAP though (and an Army Air Corp one for the Beaver) if Jankees is taking requests....
    Yes, but I mean a C-47 with right epoch colours and mods...those skins, most of them will not to be use...terrible

I think the nicest surprise is the Beaver. I like that we get wheels and floats, and it comes with an ipad that swaps out avionics and even opens doors! Is this the first stock MSFS plane with opening doors? How'd Milviz get away with that? They must have convinced MS that it was far enough along for the independent release that it was more trouble to delete the feature than keep it.

Flight models of all the planes seem OK, not outstanding. That and the simplified systems are what we expect from the OEM planes. For free, I'm not complaining.

All we need are repaints, repaints, repaints! Because just about all of the stock skins are stupid. But I'm sure we won't have to wait long.

August

Members who have read this thread: 0