ModelConverterX Rebuilding Guide released by Allen!

Thread: ModelConverterX Rebuilding Guide released by Allen!

Icon22 ModelConverterX Rebuilding Guide released by Allen!

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category FSX Utilities

Description: This is the guide I wanted to make back in 2016 and even started working on the CFS2 MakeMDL for it but life got in the way and XP PC didn’t survive the move. The guide is aimed at rebuilding models to work as CFS2 aircraft but applies to rebuilding aircraft for FS02, FS04, FSX and CFS2 Ships.

The guide covers how to use Model Converter X to convert an aircraft to a .3ds file that can be loaded into gMax and how to name, link and animate parts in gMax. How to use the exterior model to quickly make a virtual cockpit/interior model with working gauges if the model has no virtual cockpit/interior and how to get the virtual cockpit/interior from models that have one and get it loaded into gMax. Recycle the exterior model’s textures, part names, linked parts and animations to build LODs.

Guide uses the CFS2 TBD-1 Devastator as the main example for the aircraft to be rebuilt. A rebuild of the stock F6F3 Hellcat I did is also used for an example for a aircraft that already has a virtual cockpit/interior. Guide comes as PDFs or HTMs. To make things easier files I made when writing the guide are included. You can use them to check your own work. The Files.txt in the TBD-1 Devastator and F6F5 Hellcat will list every file in the folder and what it used for.

Credits: Devastator and Hellcat models, textures and original MakeMDL by Microsoft.

Hellcat main texture by Morton and Captain Kurt.

ModelConverterX Team.

Discreet for gMax.

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit ModelConverterX Rebuilding Guide.zip
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Icon22 Reply...

Allen,

Thank you very much for these detailed instructions along with the tutorial, they are greatly appreciated!
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

I don't use GMax but I'm going to read this with interest. Thanks Allen.
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

This really won't help you go from raw box or tube to an airplane (Milton Shupe's C-162 Tutorial is for that.) but if you got an airplane that needs some work for things like breaking parts, interior model or has an interior model but no working VC panel and how gMax animations work. That is covered.

I want to next get my CFS2 Win10 Install Tutorial updated and uploaded (it has been around a google link in some threads here but needs the DxWrapper info added). Than work on how to export models from Blender and use MCX to export them as .3ds files that can be used in gMax. This would let people build airplanes in Blender and only use gMax for "final assembly" as CFS2, FS02, FS04 and FSX aircraft (and CFS2 Ships).
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Thank you for this, Allen!

It means I can at least give a try to getting a working VC to some of Paul's older models!

Probably won't be pretty, but at least I'll be able to get a basic thing to work!

Jorge
    Miami, FL

Allen

Thanks so much for this - it looks like a ton of work went into putting it together

The community owes you a big foamy one - - Cheers!

Members who have read this thread: 3