One Drive and MSFS

Thread: One Drive and MSFS

Copyright © Bill Campbell is the creator of the Weird-ohs

One Drive and MSFS

OK, a long story short, kinda:

I had to upgrade to an 11th. generation CPU I-9 11900K in order to get my new NVMe 2 TB to work on the second NVMe slot on my old LGA 1200 MoBo ===>>> updated BIOS from F22a to F22 (sounds backwards don't it!)

I got a RTX 3090 + 1000-watt power supply.

Oh heck, why not? .... upgraded from Windows 10 to the free Windows 11. I had to create a Windows 11 boot disk on a thumb drive. Oh no! Now I have (two) Windows 11, one on volume 7 and one on volume 3 .... got that fixed ... volume 3 works ...had to do all of that boot order stuff in the BIOS + deleting Windows 11 on volume 7 using disk management.

OK, now she is booting correctly. I decide to reinstall MSFS (that took 26 + hours on 25 Mbits/s AT&T cable service). Looks great and ran great for a couple of days, now I get this Click image for larger version. 

Name:	one drive.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	160.1 KB 
ID:	88312.

I didn't pay too much attention to it and clicked OK ... they just want to get more $$$ from you. I do not use One drive.

I d/l the One drive APP from the Microsoft Store and reinstalled it. One Drive works on my PC
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	one drive_4.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	148.8 KB 
ID:	88310 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	one drive_5.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	127.7 KB 
ID:	88311

I still get the One Driver error message.

MSFS has now stopped working, it will get me into my aircraft and sitting at the threshold point, then Super Massive stutter .... maybe 1 Frame every 10 seconds... complete standstill!

I think I asked this question before: does MSFS need to use the One Drive service for transfer of the data stream to my PC over the "wire"?

I've been all over the "net" looking for answers and even found a site that had me doing DOS commands.

Thanks for any insight y'all may have.

Don

I'd suggest posting on the official forum https://forums.flightsimulator.com/
    and raising a support ticket on zendesk

Thanks for that, keithb77.

I'm trying to apply the scientific method to this "thang".

I found this website after a few more searches on the web.

https://www.partitionwizard.com/clon...itialized.html

I only had luck with the Fix # 4 section, Step #2. I mentioned that I had reinstalled the One Drive APP and it was working, but the problem still persisted.

Name:	one drive_uninstall_.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	195.8 KB 
ID:	88317Click image for larger version. 

Name:	one drive_uninstall_1.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	181.8 KB 
ID:	88318Click image for larger version. 

Name:	one drive_uninstall_2.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	165.5 KB 
ID:	88315

One Drive is terminated from my PC.

So, at this point, a recap .... (1) a sick & broken One Drive... tried to fix it ...nope to MSFS. (2) One Drive terminated ... nope to MSFS

MSFS will load, but it crashed again X 2 while I was at the Options section making sure that my Honeycomb Alpha unit was working. I never got into the sim.

I tried to go directly to pick-a-plane...pick-a-'port... yeah, I got onto the runway from the Threshold point with only a few very short micro stutters...poured the coals to her ... about 1/2 down the runway... froze dead in my tracks... had to use Task manager to end the program. This was using MSFS in Safe Mode with the default 208 Caravan.

Grrrrrrrr ...

I then went over to Zendesk to "go fishing".

When I reinstalled MSFS it went as follows: I guess the main core files are on my "C:"drive, but I told the installer to put the "Packages" onto that new NVMe 2TB drive labeled "G:" This is my screenshot, but I changed the "C:" to "G:"

Name:	MSFS_open from MS store_again.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	173.2 KB 
ID:	88316

I have MSFS core files on my "C:", an SSD and the packages on my "G:" drive, an NVMe.

While I was doing this, Zendesk gives a clear message to check that the pathway to my "G:" dirve was correct at the very bottom of my UserCfg.opt file

Mine reads as follows:

InstalledPackagesPath "G:\XboxGames\Microsoft Flight Simulator" Others that I've seen just say the pathway is... "C:\Microsoft Flight Simulator"

WTF, did I install the XBOX version of MSFS onto my PC or is this just the XBOX Gamepass thing we have to have ... I'm getting so confused now!

I know that One Drive synchronizes your data, so I'll reinstall it again from the Microsoft Store, maybe tomorrow... it'll be supper time soon and maybe a football game ... I'm tired.

- Don

I'm back,

NOPE, a fresh install of One Drive makes no difference. I'll look into event viewer to see if that makes any difference and provides some clues.

Loaded MSFS and was back to one super massive stutter with frame rate of 1 every ten seconds.

Seems to me MSFS is actually using one drive for storage, try watching your network usage with task manager...

To answer a couple of your questions:

There are two "versions" of the game on PC. The Steam version and the Xbox version. The Xbox version can also be referred to as the Microsoft Store version or the Windows App version. It is not possible to install the console version on PC, so anything you see that refers to Xbox is referring to "Xbox on PC" which is just how Microsoft brands their gaming related stuff on PC now.

One Drive is not required at all for Flight Simulator, your profile, settings, controls etc are stored in the "cloud". This is a completely separate process from One Drive and is done via the Xbox App and its framework on PC.

I don't know what is going on with your simulator but Keith may be right, I would double check all of your file paths and make sure that everything is installed on the correct drives. I don't even know how I would start troubleshooting this, personally I would just completely gut everything related to Flight Simulator including your appdata folders and start fresh. You could back up your "Official" folder, gut everything else, reinstall the launcher, restore your backup and point the launcher to your backup directory so that you don't have to install all 100+GB again, you would just need to reinstall the launcher which is just a few hundred megabytes.

It's also possible that these two things are completely unrelated and you are experiencing some sort of hardware issue.

Are you certain your PC is using your GPU and not the CPU's integrated graphics? All your fans are spinning, your drives, GPU and ram are seated correctly? GPU drivers up to date, all that fun stuff?

Just to add to the other comments.

One Drive is Microsoft personal cloud service a bit like Google drive or iCloud, its a place for you to dump photos or documents off your system in case a drive failes.

If you don't need it you can uninstall it through add remove programs in the control panel. Be aware though that Windows might try to sneak it back on your system occasionally during an update.
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

A few points from an ex-Microsoft guy and former magazine tech writer...

* OneDrive is built into Windows 11, and you shouldn't have to download any additional files to make it work properly.
    * I would go to add/remove programs and remove any additional OneDrive versions you installed because they aren't needed on Win 11
    * OneDrive isn't used or part of MSFS's cloud storage of settings and other files and isn't necessary. But it's built into Windows 11, you get some storage for free, and I wouldn't suggest removing the built-in part because it's handy and free.

If OneDrive is crashing, you either have a corrupted system file, or a hardware issue.

To ensure Windows is working properly:

Use SFC /scannow and DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth from a command prompt to ensure that your Windows installation doesn't have any corrupted files. (And hopefully stop the OneDrive crash, which isn't part of any kind of MS upsell to get you to buy storage, but rather a sign that a system file is crashing, which is a sign of something screwed up in the Windows install or a hardware issue.)

I've been reviewing everyone's suggestions, thanks.

@ DennyA, I preformed that
    Use SFC /scannow and DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth from a command prompt to ensure that your Windows installation doesn't have any corrupted files.
    , the other day amongst others that I found on the web during that episode of having
    Now I have (two) Windows 11, one on volume 7 and one on volume 3 .... got that fixed ... volume 3 works ...had to do all of that boot order stuff in the BIOS + deleting Windows 11 on volume 7 using disk management.

Got that issue fixed, as well as proving to myself that One Drive is not needed by MSFS.
    * OneDrive isn't used or part of MSFS's cloud storage of settings and other files and isn't necessary.

A couple of days ago it started swirling around in the back of my mind that it could also be a hardware problem. I'll defer all of the problems I had with installing, formatting the drive, BIOS work confirmation of the correct boot sequence and seeing that both NVMe drives were acknowledged.

That new NVMe 2TB drive was placed into the second upper slot on my MoBo.(Z490 generation MoBo) Grrrrrr, that is when I found that my 10th.gen. I-7 10900 CPU would not "see in the BIOS or provide instructional control" to that upper 2nd. NVMe slot. These two NVMe slots are below my video card, which is now that massive RTX 3090! This makes it hard to access the upper slot that is right under the video card.I had this 2TB NVMe drive in that position.
    I "assumed" that one could use either slot, but not both at the same time.

Hold up now, there is a 3rd. NVMe slot. It is above the video card and had a sticker on it that said "For future upgrade". Wording printed on the MoBo beside this slot says M2M_CPU.

In short, I had the NVMe in the 3rd. NVMe drive labeled on the MoBo as M2M_CPU, without a needed heatsink on it ​for about 4-5 days. I ordered one and placed it on, then I installed MSFS.
    I may have fried it during those 4-5 days!

Grrrrrr, still giving me trouble, MSFS will not work as stated. I was mistakenly assuming that this problem with One Drive was to blame.

I saw on NewEgg that this very same NVMe 2TB drive was on Labor Day Sale for $199.00 so I ordered it yesterday! I paid $345.00 for it almost exactly one year ago, Grrrrrrr ...'pooters!

It is due here tomorrow.

-Don

Well, it is installed, and the same thing keeps happening.

I formatted the new drive and did a Vanilla MSFS d/l all over again! None of the ten WU's or Top GUN, RENO AIR RACES ... just plain vanilla.

The 1.06 GB core MSFS files (I assume SU 1-9) are on my C: boot drive and the packages: base aircraft, scenery, sim updates (SU), and the like are on my new NVMe 2TB drive that has that heatsink on it. So, the other NVMe 2TB was not busted/overheated!

I turned down all of my graphic settings to match my old GTX 1080 8GB video card instead of the ULTRA settings that MSFS was using.

Oh, before I forget, these ULTRA settings placed the resolution to maximum of 5120 X 2880, way more than my monitor can display (2560 X 1440) that has caught me out before. I thought that I'd solved my problem when i discovered that .... nope!

OK, so now I run MSFS in Development Mode, great FPS, it damn better be with a RTX 3090 24 GB (on the 516.94 NVIDIA driver), an I-9 11900K @3.5 GHz, & 64 GB RAM!

I kept noticing that it would turn from green to red as I panned around in views (I also tried it without my TrackIR 5) and the massive stuttering hits at about 20-30 knots airspeed...then I saw Limited by Main Thread PC D3D11 .... hmm?

Name:	DevMode_settings_7.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	313.4 KB 
ID:	88354

My system temps and CPU load are all OK.

I had replaced a 10th. gen CPU I-7 10900 with an 11th. gen. I-9 11900K and I had updated the BIOS to the most recent for my Z490 LGA 1200 MoBo.

Then it hit me ... you also have to update the "Chipset driver" because:

"Chipset drivers have a significant impact on the communication between different components including the hard drives, system memory, etc. The outdated chipset drivers will slow down your system performance."

Name:	DevMode_settings_after_chipset_update_4_stop.jpg 
Size:	490.7 KB 
ID:	88355

The above screenshot is after it came to a stop off the runway and had quit stuttering. I was in Safe Mode with the default 208 Caravan.

A BIG FAT NOPE!

I then put CPU-Z on it.

I ran Bench CPU

Name:	CPU-Z_Bench_CPU.jpg 
Size:	178.4 KB 
ID:	88356

I ran Stress CPU until it stopped.

Name:	CPU-Z_stress_CPU.jpg 
Size:	177.3 KB 
ID:	88357

I ran Bench CPU again until it stopped

Name:	CPU-Z_stress_CPU_rebench_2.jpg 
Size:	177.3 KB 
ID:	88358

Does this mean that I have a bad I-9 11900K CPU? It is displaying 95% of 100% on the post stress benchmark.

I am done with MSFS for a little while, (and with the SU 10 due out in a couple more weeks and the BIG NOVEMBER UPDATE coming after that).

Long live DCS:

Name:	DCS_longlive_.jpg 
Size:	387.8 KB 
ID:	88359

Name:	DCS_longlive_3.jpg 
Size:	349.9 KB 
ID:	88360

If you're in windowed mode, look on the left of the title bar. If you're in full screen, click your name at the top right from any menu. If you see version 1.26.5.0, then you have the current stable version, including all service updates and core files for the world updates. The rest of the WU's will be free downloads from the Marketplace. You can pick and choose regions based on where you plan to fly.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Members who have read this thread: 0