City Update I: Germany

Thread: City Update I: Germany

SOH-CM-2023

City Update I: Germany

Who forgot to remove the photogrammetry version of the bridge? The Cologne Cathedral is superb.

Allready ranted about the bridges in another thread (Junkers F13). The new cities are nice to have finally, but they messed up the bridges. We have mainly suspension bridges in these cities here. (cologne, düsseldorf, bonn), but all those are now completely missing their cables structures
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Unbenannt.JPG 
Views:	357 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	88263

example in Bonn

The bridges within 3D-Cities are - at least for me - one of the weakest points with (global) MSFS scenery. They should put some more work into it and provide modelled bridges in those photoreal areas.

Alex
    Dont grow up! ... It´s a trap!

I saw the screenshots you guys posted and so I refrained from installing it. A ptty, because I was in Köln a couple of weeks ago... Oh well!

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

I saw the screenshots you guys posted and so I refrained from installing it. A ptty, because I was in Köln a couple of weeks ago... Oh well!

There seem to be issues with the trainstation as well.

Priller
    MSI Z790 Motherboard

It´s mainly those bridges for me! And some unpleasant 3D artefacts in Düsseldorf on the rhine surface in the city. The hohenzollern bridge as seen above looks allright on my install, no photoreal overlapping.

What I also noticed is that the photoreal area of Dortmund abruptly ends in the western part of the city leaving the western outskirts all gerneric just west of the city center while covering a vast area to the east, even far outside Dortmund itself.

All in all it looks half baked and rushed. Could have used some more refinement before release.

SOH-CM-2023
    Since grunau_baby's install did not show the hohenzollern bridge problem it probably is working for others and mine has failed. It is just another of one of those isolated failures among a half a dozen others I've experienced.

Hopefully it works correctly for everyone else and my experience with the bridge should not influence others to refrain from installing.

I just downloaded it and it was only 1.31Kb, is that correct or did something go wrong my end?
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous Beans View Post
    I just downloaded it and it was only 1.31Kb, is that correct or did something go wrong my end?
    Only one way to find out! Can you take a screenshot of the Hohenzollern bridge in Cologne so we can compare?

Cheers,

Priller
    MSI Z790 Motherboard

OK I think I got the right one. I had to look it up in Google Earth.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hohenzollern bridge.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	495.3 KB 
ID:	88271

Its fully custom on my system, no weird merge of photogrammetry and custom, or autogen.
    I flew along the river a bit in the area and there are a couple of custom bridges but mostly photogrammetry ones, I didn't see any autogen ones within the photogrammetry area.

I just looked in my Content Manager and although I saw 1.31Kb for the download it says its 492 bytes installed.
    It just seemed very odd to me.
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

It's worth clearing your rolling cache and rebuilding it when installing new scenery as sometimes older bits of scenery can "linger" in the cache and cause errors. Secondly, from what I understand, photogrammetry is all stored in the cloud and not downloaded to your system, so the small file size is normal and is basically just a flag that tells the server "yes, I want to download this".

SOH-CM-2023
    Quote Originally Posted by ak416 View Post
    It's worth clearing your rolling cache and rebuilding it when installing new scenery as sometimes older bits of scenery can "linger" in the cache and cause errors. Secondly, from what I understand, photogrammetry is all stored in the cloud and not downloaded to your system, so the small file size is normal and is basically just a flag that tells the server "yes, I want to download this".
    Please explain how to clear rolling cache. Sorry if this is a stupid request. It is something I've never encountered B/4.
    Thanks, Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jimjones View Post
    Please explain how to clear rolling cache. Sorry if this is a stupid request. It is something I've never encountered B/4.
    Thanks, Jim
    In the General Options there's a tab for Data, Rolling Cache is near the bottom of the page, you can turn it on or off and also define how big it is and where you want it if you want it on a different drive for instance.
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

SOH-CM-2023
    Thanks DB for your info. I had not scrolled down the Data screen to see the cache section. As it turns out I had no rolling cache defined. So, the suggestion to empty mine did not improve the conflicting photoreal and handcrafted bridge problem. I can live that and enjoy the photoreal of the cities.

All suggestions were appreciated.

You may want to take the issue to the Official Forum. There are people there that know the sim inside and out, and may have the answer you need.
    https://forums.flightsimulator.com
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Even if you don't have a rolling cache defined, you can still use the erase cache function -- MSFS always keeps a cache of recent data even if you don't have rolling cache enabled. Worth trying.

If it´s not the rolling cache, did you clear the scenery indexes and the content.xml when installing the update?

Set all your folder to vissible and within the "Appdata / Roaming / Microsoft Flight Simulator" you´ll find the content.xml. Delete this and delete ALL files in the subfolder "SceneryIndexes".

Then restart MSFS and let it build a new directory.

I do this prior and after every update and it all updates went smooth for me.

Alex

In fact, in "Appdata / Roaming / Microsoft Flight Simulator" you'll also find a file named ROLLINGCACHE.CCC (usually quite large), along with the Content.xml mentioned by someone else.

You can delete it straightforward along with the Content.xml with no problem whatsoever: MSFS will create them again upon next start. That's the easiest way to clear the cache.

In fact, deleting both from time to time is a good practice, in order to keep things tidy.

Copyright © Bill Campbell is the creator of the Weird-ohs
    I've used this to clear out suspected trouble with my MSFS install, but my pathway is different. I have the Premium Edition if that counts for anything.

C:\Users\Flame\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.Fl ightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache

Where ...\Flame\.... is my username.

Members who have read this thread: 0