This could be fantastic for MSFS play

Thread: This could be fantastic for MSFS play

This could be fantastic for MSFS play

...however, my Dell 16x9 curved 32" is a pretty tight fit on my desk as is. Don't think there's any way I could fit this beast on the confines of my desk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbxP...ul%27sHardware
    Cheers,
    Dave

The bendable thing is just a goofy gimmick. Why would you ever need to swap it from curved to flat? Get a 49”, it’s cheaper and is amazing for MSFS.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E6C727CD-E96C-47F3-95FB-551860343F00.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	88245

Quote Originally Posted by DaveKDEN View Post
    ...however, my Dell 16x9 curved 32" is a pretty tight fit on my desk as is. Don't think there's any way I could fit this beast on the confines of my desk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbxP...ul%27sHardware
    No, the best option is VR, not any flat, 2D screen, even 100'' for me .
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

No offense YoYo but everyone who does VR is so quick to drop in and act like it's the second coming!
    I have a 34" curved screen w/TrackIR and it works fine enough with my current computer, saving myself the hassle of having to build up to where VR looks good and plays well, and the cost of a VR headset too!
    Besides, pancakes are delicious
    -building a new sig as you see this!-

I like to mention VR in these discussions because I bought a big curved screen, which I was happy with ... until I tried VR and there was no going back and I gave the big expensive screen away.
    Don't want others to make the same mistake...though VR isn't for everyone, so I'd always say "Try VR before buying a screen that costs more than a headset".

Quote Originally Posted by keithb77 View Post
    I like to mention VR in these discussions because I bought a big curved screen, which I was happy with ... until I tried VR and there was no going back and I gave the big expensive screen away.
    Don't want others to make the same mistake...though VR isn't for everyone, so I'd always say "Try VR before buying a screen that costs more than a headset".
    Yep, but the best it to chcki it in more than 1 day, the first touch could be strange and someone could be lost with a lots of settings and impressions . I never will back to 2D screen. Only for screenshots ; ).

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

As long as Facebook is involved, not happening here, sadly. Would love to try VR though.

I recently went to VR after being pushed to do multiplayer with a young friend. It is amazing. I too want to avoid Facebook like the plague. Very soon (says end of August) Facebook will not be involved. You can do Oculus Link without Facebook. Looking forward to that. I have one of the earlier TrackIR versions. The wires are in bad condition. Made the decision either to upgrade the TrackIR or go to VR. I went to VR. Both are very good.

As I was writing looks like you have the option to not be involved with Facebook. I opted out of Facebook and now access the links without.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

Quote Originally Posted by stovall View Post
    I recently went to VR after being pushed to do multiplayer with a young friend. It is amazing. I too want to avoid Facebook like the plague. Very soon (says end of August) Facebook will not be involved. You can do Oculus Link without Facebook. Looking forward to that. I have one of the earlier TrackIR versions. The wires are in bad condition. Made the decision either to upgrade the TrackIR or go to VR. I went to VR. Both are very good.

As I was writing looks like you have the option to not be involved with Facebook. I opted out of Facebook and now access the links without.
    That's awesome news!

Btw. Take HP Reverb G2, its better than every Oculus for now (resolution), you dont need Fb too.

Yeah, I have the 49" monitor *and* an HP G2 (and Oculus Quest 2, because I work on VR in my day job). Honestly, they're both fantastic. VR is the more immersive experience and is more like real flying other than the lack of movement/G forces, but sometimes it's nice to be able to run MSFS on a monitor while you're doing other things, or just don't want to be behind goggles for whatever reason. Best of both worlds. (Especially with the Tobii Eye Tracker, which is a wonderful alternative to TrackIR since there's no headwear involved.)

The requirement to have a Facebook account for the Quest 2 went away this week. There's now a "Meta" account which is just an account for the Quest Store, etc. and has no ties to Facebook/social media unless optionally choose to connect it to that.

Blog Entries
    I have a hand-me-down 56" HD TV (I had to upgrade to a bigger 4K to watch my beloved Saints on Sundays) and a HP Reverb G2. I use the TV when I am setting controllers and cockpit buttons. When I fly it is VR all the way.

I echo YoYo’s statements on VR. It is the most immersive and real to life flying outside of actually being in the cockpit. The “only” downside to me is the use of a mouse. I would pay good money for a finger ring with little buttons that would allow me to just point at a control, press one of the little buttons and, Voilà, it would active the button or switch. One for each hand and I could get rid of my cockpit.

Oh, where is Elon Musk when you need him.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

I'm currently using a 2014 model Samsung UN40H5003 40" TV that runs off my laptop at just under 1080P. I say "just under" because, being an older model, it suffers from overscan. Using the Nvidia control panel, I have the actual resolution reduced to 1842x1026 and everything fits perfectly edge to edge in both directions. The price was right, because I inherited it from my dad when he passed. It's less than two feet from my face, so it fills a good portion of my field of view. It also has much better sound than any computer speaker or small sound bar could ever hope for. The only thing that could make it better would be an actual sound bar, but I don't think this thing has the right connections.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

If you have a problem with heights, VR will make you dizzy. It's that immersive. With that said, I can't sim without my G2. I think we could be close to a headset with eye resolution. Question is, what will be the cost? May have to spring for it anyway if it shows up before I check out.

LouP

Have VR, tried VR, went back to 2D + TrackIR without any regrets. VR is neat, but it's not there yet. I can get way better visual fidelity and performance in 2D, I don't get dizzy, and I don't end up with a sweaty red mask on my face from wearing the headset. I am excited for the future of VR but I'm one of the few who's willing to admit that it's not true that once you go VR you'll never go back. I give it 5 or so years before VR is in a place where it fully replaces 2D for me in flight sim.

Edit to add: the one thing I miss the most from VR is landing. Landing in VR is completely different from 2D and feels so much more authentic. But still not enough to get me to put the headset back on for now.

Quote Originally Posted by YoYo View Post
    Btw. Take HP Reverb G2, its better than every Oculus for now (resolution), you dont need Fb too.
    Agreed! just upgraded to a Reverb G2 from the Rift. Simply amazing and didnt break the bank either.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LouP View Post
    If you have a problem with heights, VR will make you dizzy. It's that immersive. With that said, I can't sim without my G2. I think we could be close to a headset with eye resolution. Question is, what will be the cost? May have to spring for it anyway if it shows up before I check out.

LouP
    When I starting flying the T-37 in USAF pilot training, several students got nauseous and/or headaches. It was due to having to wear a crash helmet and oxygen mask. A couple students never got over the nausea and washed out. Most of us, however, got used to the helmet and mask after a couple sorties.

I wounder if the VR helmet doesn’t have a similar effect on some people. I know that one of my brothers got dizzy when he moved his head too quickly. He soon got use to the VR headset and spent the rest of the time with exclamations and superlatives about what he was seeing.

I have never had any negative side effects. But, I rarely fly for more than an hour at a time.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

I don,t know why but vr just gives me a massive headache. I guess its just not for me

SOH-CM-2023
    Blog Entries
    Very interesting information and observations, jmig! I had small monitors, large monitors and now VR. After having flown gliders, ultralights (solo), single-engined planes and a P-51 (not solo) for real I will never go back from VR.

Members who have read this thread: 0