Returning OFF (CFS3) Fan - Windows 10 Problems

Thread: Returning OFF (CFS3) Fan - Windows 10 Problems

Returning OFF (CFS3) Fan - Windows 10 Problems

I am a returning Over Flanders Fields Fan which requires CFS3. I am on Windows 10 and I am having a nightmare of a time trying to get it all to work. I am at stage 1, trying to get CFS3 installed. I have no idea what problems lie in wait for the OFF installation.

I am trying to get my old 2 cd version of CFS3 working on Windows 10 (my old Vista machine died years ago). I realise you are all CFS3 fans, but in all honesty I am only trying to get CFS3 working so I can ultimately get my old Over Flanders Fields working with the Hat In The Ring add on.

My CFS3 CD1 just will not register in my cd player. It keeps on stuttering. So I manage to pick up another 2 cd version on ebay and have exactly the same problem. I guess it is an issue with Win10.

I have read the Windows 10 thread here on SOH, but am none the wiser.

I have found the link on my-abandon-ware (which I shall not give as it might be against the rules).

I have downloaded everything there. I unzipped the Microsoft-Combat-Flight-Simulator-3-Battle-for-Europe_Win_EN_ISO-Version.zip, and have files CFS3_CD1.bin, CFS3_CD1.cue, CFS3_CD2.bin and CFS3_CD2.cue.

I right click each of these, but cannot see any MOUNT options.

I really have not got a clue what to do.

The answers I have found on this forum so far seem very criptic because everyone cannot mention an unmentionable thing. Hopefully, I have not mentioned any unmentionables myself so far.

Please help. I really want to get my OFF with Hat In The Ring add-on working again.

Jon

Yes, Win 10 prevents any and all CD security checks, so all of the old programs that needed it to run, are dead in the water. Once upon a time there was a DVD version being sold that had an exe file that didn't need to do the check. If you bought that version you are still good to go. Otherwise, unless you get you hands on the proper version of the cfs3.exe, you're stuck. Some people have "shared" their unlocked version exe files with others that only had the original locked discs. Strictly speaking that pirating, even though you bought and paid for the version from MS that they now prevent you from using.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Nooo, you cannot mention the unmentionable here; it is seriously frowned upon by the admins as it may promote piracy (as mentioned above). If you do discuss it on the forum, you will get banned and become unmentionable yourself. So far you have done well and have not strayed from the straight and narrow path .

Anyway, I have recently installed CFS3 from my original 2 CD-set without any problems and I run a Win7-upgraded-to-Win10-system. Now that last bit may have something to do with it but I can't remember doing anything else than plopping the CDs in the tray and clicking the 'Install'-button. Have you tried installing as Admin or setting a compatibility mode?

ACC Member, ETO and PTO contributor & librarian

Lightbulb

The new game can be used without CFS3 DVD, its now a stand alone. While the old OFF3 is in my opinion a bit disappointing, the new “Wings over” is a great masterpiece. Lots of aspects are being improved, pity that there is no VR mode.

https://www.overflandersfields.com/store.html

Quote Originally Posted by JAA View Post
    ...The answers I have found on this forum so far seem very criptic because everyone cannot mention an unmentionable thing. Hopefully, I have not mentioned any unmentionables myself so far.

Please help. I really want to get my OFF with Hat In The Ring add-on working again.

Jon
    Yes, you've been admirably cautious, and welcome to the forum too!

I'll send you a Private Message explaining things, hopefully you can soon be flying again.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Quote Originally Posted by hairyspin View Post
    Yes, you've been admirably cautious, and welcome to the forum too!

I'll send you a Private Message explaining things, hopefully you can soon be flying again.
    Thanks everyone for your replies.

I can categorically, irrefutably and undeniably confirm no 'unmentionables' were done to facilitate this reply.

On a completely different topic altogether, I am now happily playing CFS3. (Wink, wink, say no more).

Members who have read this thread: 0