Local Legends #5 Available Now - Beechcraft Model 18 - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Local Legends #5 Available Now - Beechcraft Model 18

Matt Younkin in cockpit air show flight. Matt also shows some flight systems and what they do. Great video.

(110) Matt Younkin Beech 18 Cockpit Video - Aerobatics Air Show - YouTube

Is there any mod to put the pms50 gtn in this plane ?

Hey guys, just got back from a trip and got to finally get this aircraft. Thanks again for all the great skins. This is a beautiful bird, and your work is amazing. I don’t want to spam these threads with thanks, but I do appreciate al your hard work.

Stencil mystery

Does anyone have a real life closeup photo of the rear exit area? Post war perhaps, there is some stenciling written there, and on the door itself, I don't have a clear shot to make out what it says.

Doug

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D-18 Stencils.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	194.5 KB 
ID:	87845
    Last edited by Fnerg; July 4th, 2022 at 16:02.

Doug, sent you a PM.

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Hi Doug,

The lower stencil furthest forward should read:

BATTERY LOCATION
    LEADING EDGE OF EACH
    WING AT FUSELAGE

The upper stencil furthest forward should read:

BASIC WEIGHT 6704 LBS

The stencil on the door simply reads (red lettering):

ENTRANCE

The stencil just to the right of the number '70' on the fuselage (located just above the static port) reads:

KEEP HOLES AND
    SURFACE CLEAN

In much larger text size, the next stencil closer to the tail reads (in the photo above, you can just barely see the text for the word "LIFT" located just above "HERE"):

LIFT
    HERE

Of the same large text size, there is also another stencil, further under the tail, slightly cutoff by the vertical stabilizer in the photo, that reads:

JACK
    HERE

There is also a red-lettered stencil, just aft of the entry door, that reads:

FIRE
    EXTINGUISHER
    HERE

You can see evidence of those stencils here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/yesiwo...36549/sizes/k/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/yesiwood/19566337889/sizes/k/
    https://www.airport-data.com/aircraf...001336896.html
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/kurtsj...49509/sizes/k/
    Last edited by Bomber_12th; July 4th, 2022 at 19:58.

This is great guys, thanks very much! Really appreciate it!

Doug

jk5499 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk5497 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk5501 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Fantastic work! I absolutely love the old red and white RCAF paint on a polished metal body.

Carenado should thank you, you've just sold me on finally purchasing the Beech!

Nice work Doug!

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

More great work!

The Beech is a very nice ride. Reminds me of flying the Kingair…a real Cadillac of an airplane.

Thanks, guys!

Hey thanks guys! Glad you like it!

Portuguese paint brings me a lot of good memories. Made a lot of flights in this same aircraft, call sign BC2516 as a makeshift flight engineer. Beechcraft C-45 Expeditor, Ota Air Base 1964/5 Had no intention to buy this one because what I read about the sound, but now...Jankees thank you so much for the most pleasant surprise. Regards
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scan-121011-0049.jpg   Scan-121011-0053.jpg  

Here is the Matt Younkin show Beech 18 that he flew in airshows around the country now for download here in the Warbirds Library. This livery also has the cockpit changed to resemble Matt's cockpit (white or light gray yokes, N number on front panel).

Video link to Matt flying his routine with great cockpit shots. https://youtu.be/h1qSzCnzXvY

Last edited by TeiscoDelRay; July 10th, 2022 at 11:16.

Icon22

I give. I have to get this, just for the great skins you all put out !
    Sue

Icon22

I give. I have to get this, just for the great skins you all put out ! Off to buy an airplane.
    Sue

in that case I'd better do another one, nearly done:
    jk5597 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk5598 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk5611 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk5618 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.

Paul (TeicosDelRay) - the visual issue with the ailerons and rudders is due to the model that you and some other repainters are currently using, which doesn't need to be the case. If you look at the repaints I've released thus far, you'll notice that they don't have that issue.

Instead of using the exterior model from the "Model" folder for the exterior model, which has the visual issues, use one of the other models. For my repaints, I have been using the model from the "Model.05" folder, which is among the models that the product paint schemes use.

In the Model.CFG file, just make sure it looks something like this:

[models]
    exterior=..\..\MSCarenado_D18S\model.05\CARD18S.xm l
    interior=..\..\MSCarenado_D18S\model\CARD18S_cockp it.xml

All you have to do additionally to this is include the "LIV" textures, taken for instance from the Texture.05 folder, and add a black alpha channel added to the LIV_ALBD texture, so that it erases those livery decals. (And don't forget to update the .JSON file.)

Your repaint of Matt Younkin's Beech 18 looks awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    Paul (TeicosDelRay) - the visual issue with the ailerons and rudders is due to the model that you and some other repainters are currently using, which doesn't need to be the case. If you look at the repaints I've released thus far, you'll notice that they don't have that issue.

Instead of using the exterior model from the "Model" folder for the exterior model, which has the visual issues, use one of the other models. For my repaints, I have been using the model from the "Model.05" folder, which is among the models that the product paint schemes use.

In the Model.CFG file, just make sure it looks something like this:

[models]
    exterior=..\..\MSCarenado_D18S\model.05\CARD18S.xm l
    interior=..\..\MSCarenado_D18S\model\CARD18S_cockp it.xml

All you have to do additionally to this is include the "LIV" textures, taken for instance from the Texture.05 folder, and add a black alpha channel added to the LIV_ALBD texture, so that it erases those livery decals. (And don't forget to update the .JSON file.)

Your repaint of Matt Younkin's Beech 18 looks awesome!
    Thanks, I knew if I posted it here someone would have an answer.

Here are a few screenshots of my current work-in-progress, which I've been working on and off on since last weekend, getting all of the striping across the fuselage, tail, cowls and wingtips to be as straight and unwavy as possible, working against all of the little mapping issues. Just a few small items still to add.

I feel your pain John about those texture splits and overlaps. Yikes, what a nightmare. Here's a tip that worked great for me, I used ModelXConverter as a model viewer importing 'model.5' LOD001 to check my edits as I go. Link to the texture folder in options, and load the model from the package. You can really scroll in close almost down to the pixel. In the hierarchy menu of MXC also, you can hide all the frost and decal details to get a nice clear image of the model as you paint/export/check/repeat. Reloading textures after new changes only takes a couple seconds as opposed to restarting the sim. Very handy tool. That looks stunning!

Quote Originally Posted by Fnerg View Post
    I feel your pain John about those texture splits and overlaps. Yikes, what a nightmare. Here's a tip that worked great for me, I used ModelXConverter as a model viewer importing 'model.5' LOD001 to check my edits as I go. Link to the texture folder in options, and load the model from the package. You can really scroll in close almost down to the pixel. In the hierarchy menu of MXC also, you can hide all the frost and decal details to get a nice clear image of the model as you paint/export/check/repeat. Reloading textures after new changes only takes a couple seconds as opposed to restarting the sim. Very handy tool. That looks stunning!
    I tried it, but couldn't get it to work (yet), but it certainly sounds promising.
    Meanwhile, EC-ASJ is now available: https://flightsim.to/file/36557/beec...ec-asj-spantax

jk5651 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk5648 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by TeiscoDelRay View Post
    Here is the Matt Younkin show Beech 18 that he flew in airshows around the country now for download here in the Warbirds Library. This livery also has the cockpit changed to resemble Matt's cockpit (white or light gray yokes, N number on front panel).
    Absolutly stunning work!
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    Here are a few screenshots of my current work-in-progress, which I've been working on and off on since last weekend, getting all of the striping across the fuselage, tail, cowls and wingtips to be as straight and unwavy as possible, working against all of the little mapping issues. Just a few small items still to add.

Simply beautiful John, Just when I think I have downloaded my last texture for this beauty, I need to move things around in the hanger. Great work!
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

Members who have read this thread: 1