AH DHC-1 Chipmunk Chippy has landed 6/24 - Page 7
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: AH DHC-1 Chipmunk Chippy has landed 6/24

Quote Originally Posted by vipgroup View Post
    Former cadets who wore those parachutes know what I mean.
    Yes, I remember it well. I used to reach behind me and pull it up, to stop it slapping me on the arse.

I remember the waddle too...50 years later I've started wearing parachutes again, and they're a little more comfortable now, but still you have to tighten the leg straps 'to the bite'

Quote Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
    Yes, I remember it well. I used to reach behind me and pull it up, to stop it slapping me on the arse.
    Oh that is funny.... Thanks for a good laugh!

Quote Originally Posted by keithb77 View Post
    I remember the waddle too...50 years later I've started wearing parachutes again, and they're a little more comfortable now, but still you have to tighten the leg straps 'to the bite'
    Yes. In the early teens most of us could still sing soprano. Then the bass developed. Be careful you don't end up singing like the Bee Gees again mate! - LOL. I wonder if luxury would be a DH Chipmunk with padded seats then?

JanKees has released WG479 (F-AZLO).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220718211704_1.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	681.3 KB 
ID:	87983

I have grown a mustache

Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Quote Originally Posted by YoYo View Post
    I have grown a mustache

Now we just need a mid 60-something baldy... Well, I can hope. LOL. Did you repaint this or download it from somewhere?

Where are the repaints?

Wow, I am a little shocked at how few repaints there are for this little beauty. I would encourage the artists here to show some more love to the Chippy. And, if they can reduce the size of the RAF roundels on the fuselage, that would be good. I think the stock ones are a bit too big.

Not sure about the overall size, but the standard 'D' type roundels look wrong on most paints and repaints. Red/white/blue radius proportions are supposed to be 1:2:3, meaning the red center patch should be much bigger.

Talking of the AH Chippie, does anyone think it looks better without the squashed donuts on the wing ribs?? I tried to edit them out of the normal textures without messing up everything else they're supposed to do. It doesn't work so well on the very shiny BBMF paint but most of the others are OK.

Attachment 88130

Wow, I am a little shocked at how few repaints there are for this little beauty. I would encourage the artists here to show some more love to the Chippy. And, if they can reduce the size of the RAF roundels on the fuselage, that would be good. I think the stock ones are a bit too big.
    There's about 12 on flightsim.to: https://flightsim.to/discover/chipmunk

Cheers,

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

I have only one problem with the Chippie: it's not a Tiggie... (hence my daily chant: how about it, Ant..)
    Last edited by Javis; August 13th, 2022 at 09:01.

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    There's about 12 on flightsim.to: https://flightsim.to/discover/chipmunk

Cheers,

Priller
    Agreed. Thanks for the heads up. Now compare that number with the number of repaints on flightsim.com for the FSX/P3d version. I did several of those myself a few years ago, but do not know where to even start with MSFS repaints, and don't really have time to figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    I have only one problem with the Chippie: it's not a Tiggie... (hence my daily chant: how about it, Ant..)
    Hopefully it will come Jan.
    - Kenneth

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceWeevil View Post
    Talking of the AH Chippie, does anyone think it looks better without the squashed donuts on the wing ribs?? I tried to edit them out of the normal textures without messing up everything else they're supposed to do. It doesn't work so well on the very shiny BBMF paint but most of the others are OK.

Attachment 88130

Trying to see what you mean by the squashed donuts.... What am I looking for?

Quote Originally Posted by mjahn View Post
    Not sure about the overall size, but the standard 'D' type roundels look wrong on most paints and repaints. Red/white/blue radius proportions are supposed to be 1:2:3, meaning the red center patch should be much bigger.
    I will try to grab some side-by-side examples to make sure my eyes are not playing me tricks on the size.

Trying to see what you mean by the squashed donuts.... What am I looking for?
    Sorry, I meant the big fasteners along the wing ribs. I think AH overdid them a bit (they don't agree!) - my picture shows the wing without them. It wasn't a successful experiment, probably because I'm using a paint package rather than Blender and my modified normal textures don't match the ones produced by the SDK.

Also - EUREKA! Thanks to an amazing tool by LordFrites (https://flightsim.to/file/27707/msfs-textures-toolbox) I can now batch-convert PNG normal maps into the proper format for MSFS.
    It takes a little setting up but its easier than Blender. If anyone wants smoother wings on the Chipmunk I'll put the modified normal maps in our library.

Attachment 88142

A Chipmunk's wing ribs are riveted. They are covered by the fabric skin but the rivets remain as pronounced bumps (squashed donuts in your parlence). Have a look at this picture and you can see that the wing is far from smooth.

Name:	dhc 1 000.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	122.7 KB 
ID:	88143

Baz - agreed, they're there. I just feel they're a bit overdone and don't (to my eyes) stand out quite so starkly in real life. I'm sure the appearance can vary depending on age, re-covering, finish etc. Still, no one else has mentioned it so no worries - I'll just play quietly with my normal maps in the corner.

Members +
    HB, Ca.-Seattle,Wa.-Fujieda-Shizuoka-Japan
    We need the Art Scholl Super Chipmunk.
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit 22H2 Build 19045.4123
    Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 (BIOS F-10)
    Core i7 3770K
    G-Skill Trident X 32GB DDR3 CL7-8-8-24
    Asus RTX 2070 OC 8GB
    1TB Crucial MX500 SSD
    1TB RAW Mushkin SSD
    1TB RAW Mushkin SSD
    2TB PNY CS900 SSD
    LG Blue Ray Burner DL
    Rosewill mid tower Challenger
    Corsair RM 750 PSU
    Inateck KU5211 USB 3.2 Adapter
    LTERIVER PCE-G2S4 PCIe 4port SATA card
    X56 HOTAS
    Grassmonkey Joseph II Puck
    Oculus Quest 2
    TM 2x MFD Cougar
    T-Mobile Home Internet 5G (KDV21)

Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post
    A Chipmunk's wing ribs are riveted. They are covered by the fabric skin but the rivets remain as pronounced bumps (squashed donuts in your parlence). Have a look at this picture and you can see that the wing is far from smooth.

Name:	dhc 1 000.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	122.7 KB 
ID:	88143
    Are you sure that these bumps are rivets covered by the fabric skin but the rivets remain as pronounced bumps? Isn't it the stitching from attaching the fabric to the wing ribs which is visible? Normally the stitching is then covered with another strip of fabric.

One other point of interest. What is the reason that your 3D model contains viewer wing ribs than the original? This can be seen comparing the pictures in post 165 and 170.
    Cheers, Peter

Hello again. So, I modified the wing normal maps to make the rib fasteners slightly smaller. I also wanted the impression of a faint sag between the ribs, at least from the VC. Very much a WIP and no criticism of anyone or anything intended - if I didn't really like this add-on I wouldn't bother!
    Attachment 88165

WK591 repaint request

I am finally getting back into MSFS, after a four month break (combination of computer troubles, a very annoying total lifetime ban from the official MSFS forum, and business focus)... AND of course my beloved Chippy is getting a lot of flight time (and the new DC-3 too, eh Jan Visser???).

Back to the Chippy.

Would some kind soul please do a couple of repaints with the RAF serial WK591 please? I think it was in the old RAF silver or grey colours when I first flew in it back in 1971. (There are some reference images online if you google the registration). I would also suggest a re-size of the fuselage roundels, I think all the default ones are a bit big compared with reality.

Anyway.. a request for sure, on my 65th birthday today! - Someone "make my Day" LOL

- Kenneth

AND of course my beloved Chippy is getting a lot of flight time (and the new DC-3 too, eh Jan Visser???)
    Well, it's got to be said, Ken, if only she'd fly as beautiful as she looks... IMHO the relation between these two phenomena should be much more close to each another (and i don't mean anything should be tempered with regarding her beauty... ;-)

I gave up on my FS sweatshop already before MSFS came to town, including repainting (although i used to love that very much !) so i can't help you with the Chippy there, Ken. Hopefully someone might step foreward here for you.

All the best to you and your family, my friend!

Cheers,
    Jan

P.S. to all DC-3 afficionados here: anyone remember that we had to fly the first ever DC-3 in FS (FS5 'Flightshop' additional external DC-3 model by John Kerry. All IIRC....) with the Cessna 172 panel ?? (and 172 sound !??..) It was Kenneth here who came to the rescue and produced the very first 3th party panel for FS and it happend to be for John's DC-3 ! I could never have been happier with an FS add-on as i was then (i took care of a respectable P&W R-1850 sound myself). Thanks again, Ken !! )

Members who have read this thread: 1