AH DHC-1 Chipmunk Chippy has landed 6/24 - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: AH DHC-1 Chipmunk Chippy has landed 6/24

Vi9ews were OK in testing. You can also remove pilots by reducing their weights to 0 in the payload dropdown of the sim. Add payload weight if you wish to compensate.

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    I like it! For me another excellent model from AH, well done Baz and crew!
    jk5038 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk5042 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk5049 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk5055 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

one small question: there was talk of a plain texture (paintkit) on your website, but where can I find that?
    A small patch will be coming this week. I will include the plain texture in that. Sorry, omission on my part.

The plane is beautiful and a pleasure to fly Bazzar - thanks
    Can you say if the flaps handle movement will be reversed (full forward should be 'flaps retracted' then pull the handle back for actuation)

from the AOPA website "On the right, a lever similar to the brake handle is used to operate the flaps. Lift it to the first notch for 15 degrees and to the second and final notch for 30 degrees."
    I expect that 'lift' in this case means 'pull' and not push

about halfway down the page here
    De Havilland DHC-1 Chipmunk - AOPA
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

The flap handle movement is correct. If you take a look in the Pilot's Handbook provided (in the Documentation folder) you should see it there.

Thanks for the quick reply - I'll review the dox in the package folder then.
    enter..the Sandman

Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post
    The flap handle movement is correct. If you take a look in the Pilot's Handbook provided (in the Documentation folder) you should see it there.
    You may wish to check again the manual you provided. Section 17 ("Flaps control") states that flaps are UP when the lever is fully forward, and the flaps are at 30 degrees when the lever is aft. Your lever animation indeed is reversed. Also, the engine sounds (as heard from the cockpit), appear to be too high pitched. There are some good comments on some YouTube reviews from real-life Chipmunk pilots regarding maximum RPM, and the engine sound inside the cockpit. Otherwise, a very enjoyable model to fly, with a nicely-balanced flight dynamic.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaufighter View Post
    And what about those big white pilots helmets? What about old classic ones?
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
    Looking at them, I think they're just generic helmets. There's nothing that specifically resembles RAF bone-domes.
    Ahhh! Flight helmet talk ! (my fav hobbyhorse, you should see my collection..)

RAF MK2 and 2A white helmets (also olive green) could be seen inside a Chipmunk office f.i. during the 'Cold War' period. But read this from a dedicated Chippy forum:

At the beginning of its RAF career Chippy pilots/trainee's can be seen wearing WWII 2nd pattern RAF Type C leather flying helmets with WWII pattern H Type O2 mask and Mark 8 goggles.

It was followed by the 1950's RAF Mark 1A 'Bone Dome'. First RAF hard helmet with a fixed moveable visor. Often pilots would still use their Mk.8 goggles too, despite the visor (or even instead of) :

RAF pilots could also be seen wearing just the green, grey or bluegrey coloured Type G inner cloth helmet with earphones:

https://www.dearoldblighty.com/en-GB...et-/prod_15541

From the 70's onwards RAF Mk.3A/B flying helmets were used followed by the Mk.3C. Mostly white or olive green coloured. The latter could be identified as being worn by AH's Chipmunk pilots.

I noticed the MSFS default civilian pilot can also be selected to fly the ol' critter and that's perfectly alright with contemporary restored specimen of course :

And this concludes my brief dissertation on RAF flight helmets with regards to the elegant DeHavilland Canada DHC-1 Chipmunk as representend in MSFS just as elegantly by Aeroplane Heaven.

Cheers,
    Jan

Vi9ews were OK in testing. You can also remove pilots by reducing their weights to 0 in the payload dropdown of the sim. Add payload weight if you wish to compensate.
    Sorry, custom view has a problem still in VR and 2D image too. Default pilot view is too close of front panel for me, so I had to save custom MSFS view (you can check how it works during next beta tests https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t...gnments/171116 ).

If you set up 0 lb (or about) the new issue arrives here (which is even worse )- no pilot on external view, so Custom view have an issue. Pls ask Anthony how he solved it in his Drifter (if you have questions). The Pilots face and body is hidden automatically, and it also works like this in every default model of MSFS.

190lb (pilot body is visible in virtual cockpit too, you are "in"):

With "cheat" Zero lb (ok, no pilot body inside but... outside too) :

So its an issue.
    Last edited by YoYo; June 26th, 2022 at 00:05.
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Sorry, it isnt the true. The operation of lever for flaps is reversed (labels too, as few people noticed it before). No info about this postion in official vintage manual:

Here is picture with labels UP - forward, DOWN - backward.

The same plane (cockpit, outside):
    a/ https://ipms.nl/images/foto-specials...hipmunk-19.JPG
    b/ https://ipms.nl/images/foto-specials...hipmunk-15.JPG

The model:

Also, you can notice it in video (6:30) of IRL checklist, lever is forward = means flaps are up. He has flaps on 0 position (medium is 15, full backward 30 degress), 3 positions only, so it doesnt work up and down too. In the model is reversed.

btw. from Xplane DHC-1 manual, here the same: http://www.khamsin.org/dhc1/manual/I...kpit_right.jpg . The pilot just pushes a little lever forward (with spring) to unlock the big one (release) so maybe someone got it wrong.

So hard to tell me about your sources here, why is reversed. Hope it helps to solve it.
    Last edited by YoYo; June 25th, 2022 at 23:57.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

I tryied to solve custom view issue myself using NodesToHide ="XMLVAR_PilotHidden" but it doesnt work here. Looks like a bigger problem and pilot is hard coded? This line doesnt solve the issue and the face is still present . I hope it will be solved, some people use custom view position in MSFS.

I cant find click spot for parking brake, see the same problem on left fuel gauge (it shows zero always) and fuel lever is operating only to half a scale (not to the end, to on):

However no any problem to start Chipmunk from cold and dark (and battery is fine for me in CIV and MIL version).

The model is really beauty! The propeller animation was done very well too.

Last edited by YoYo; June 26th, 2022 at 07:56.

jk5151 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Nice paints already JanKees !!

The aircraft is beautifully modeled however I also conclude that the flap lever actuation is reversed.
    Full forward should be zero flaps and the lever should be pulled back or 'lifted' with two detents, first is 15deg and then 30deg (this is correct on the model as far as the two detents) or full flaps with the lever all the way back
    As noted the VC label for the flaps is also reversed. It is not a show stopper but I would not call it nit-picking either...not that anyone has called it that.

Also - the mixture lever movement is correct but it is supposed to 'catch' the throttle anytime the throttle is moved past the mixture lever (such as when in high cruise above 5,000' altitude and the mixture has been leaned for proper aspiration).
    This is WHY the mixture lever is reversed compared to 'normal' full forward full rich common elsewhere. It is meant to prevent the trainee from forgetting to return the mixture lever to full rich upon approach and landing. Throttle, once extended past the mixture lever will 'catch' it
    as the throttle is reduced or 'cut' on approach and landing and automatically pull it to full rich - or at least a more suitable, less hazardous position
    enter..the Sandman

btw.

Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post
    Also - the mixture lever movement is correct but it is supposed to 'catch' the throttle anytime the throttle is moved past the mixture lever (such as when in high cruise above 5,000' altitude and the mixture has been leaned for proper aspiration).
    This is WHY the mixture lever is reversed compared to 'normal' full forward full rich common elsewhere. It is meant to prevent the trainee from forgetting to return the mixture lever to full rich upon approach and landing. Throttle, once extended past the mixture lever will 'catch' it
    as the throttle is reduced or 'cut' on approach and landing and automatically pull it to full rich - or at least a more suitable, less hazardous position
    That's right, however I think this "catch" could be hard to modelled. For me, it's enough to correct what has been noticed and it will be really fun.

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    I like it! For me another excellent model from AH, well done Baz and crew!
    jk5038 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk5042 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk5049 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk5055 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

one small question: there was talk of a plain texture (paintkit) on your website, but where can I find that?
    Thanks once again Jankees!!

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Nice castoring tailwheel too.

Quote Originally Posted by YoYo View Post

That's right, however I think this "catch" could be hard to modelled. For me, it's enough to correct what has been noticed and it will be really fun.
    Agree 100% - the mixture lever detail is just something noticed but far from critical..however I think the Chippie is already really fun
    enter..the Sandman

Quote Originally Posted by shotgunshack View Post
    Nice castoring tailwheel too.
    That's true (however I see in MSFS taildragger problem still, wrrr).

Last edited by YoYo; June 26th, 2022 at 13:49.

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    Ahhh! Flight helmet talk ! (my fav hobbyhorse, you should see my collection..)
    This was the usual one I had when flying in Chipmunks. The mask was purely there for the microphone - an open hole where the O2 hose once connected.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
    This was the usual one I had when flying in Chipmunks. The mask was purely there for the microphone - an open hole where the O2 hose once connected.

AHA... I forgot I wore those things too. And all these years I thought my baldness was down to heredity! (LOL)

"Lossiemouth Landing"

I will be taking artistic screenshots of the Chippy for a while I think. If you like, I'll share them over time. Here is one to get us started.

I present "Lossiemouth Landing"...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lossiemouth Landing.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	429.1 KB 
ID:	87753

- Kenneth Kerr

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    Too much negativeness in this thread. If you are having a problem or feel something is not right them please contact the AH Help Desk. This way AH staff can produce a patch for the problem.

Negative posts here can affect sales and eventually developers will hang up their tools and we are left with nothing. So please remember to use the help desk.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Quote Originally Posted by vipgroup View Post
    I will be taking artistic screenshots of the Chippy for a while I think. If you like, I'll share them over time. Here is one to get us started.

I present "Lossiemouth Landing"...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lossiemouth Landing.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	429.1 KB 
ID:	87753

- Kenneth Kerr
    what a great shot.

what a great shot.
    Thank you. Feel free to use it on your AH Facebook if you wish. - Kenneth

Quote Originally Posted by AussieMan View Post
    Too much negativeness in this thread...
    Too be honest, I dont think so. Life is such that it's never 100% complete . Notice that here we have many good words too in this topic:

+ very good and detailed modelling, nice 3D mapping on surface, good textures, no issues in Flight model and good air behavior and the take-off and landing phases, good ground handling, many noticed nice idea with possibility open and see engine plus ground power unit, own figures of pilots (MIL variant, generic helmets), manual before release (not top secret part), well done propeller animation (an own pilots have also nice animation on their heads), gauges are fine, for some the price is justifiable too

- (to improve) left fuel gauge and valve inside of VC, custom MSFS view with unnecessary body, reversed behavior of lever for flaps + for some audiophiles sound could be improved inside (so few things only)

The advantage is obvious here. Notice that even Windows is patched sometimes (and soft for Tesla cars), its normal and nothing wrong is here. I guess I have never seen a software product that does not have some patach (maybe when Internet wasnt popular, more that 20 years earlier). Each forum is an exchange of opinions, good and bad (if they are justified) and questions. Statistically, however, more is written about what does not work, whether it is a washing machine or a TV set. As the saying goes, "two heads are not the same as one", so always expect something to extra work and improving after the release. Not everything is caught during the production process, but before contact with HD you should always consult it first with other users to see if they have the same symptom. It's just important thing is to listen to your clients in this case and be informed that things will be improved only (from user perspective) and that's it.

Members who have read this thread: 3