June 6,1944

Thread: June 6,1944

June 6,1944

"Operation Overlord"- The invasion of Europe by the Allies.My Grandfather was one of the men that took part in the landings.He was 20 at the time and rarely talks about,it was also his birthday.He is still with us at 98.

Let us not forget about these grave men who fought with some making the Ultimate Sacrifice for Freedom.

Hiede

Hi Hiede,

Give my blessings to your grandfather and please tell him how mighty thankful I am for what he and his fellow men/women did for me. My Jewish father wouln't have survived if these brave men and women, who were willing to give their lives for our freedom, hadn't defeated the Nazis. Three years ago I was at the dropping zone near Pegasus bridge to memorate that it was 75 years ago that the invasion took place and I saw the Dakota's again dropping the para's as they did 75 years before. It still brings the tears to my eyes.

hertzie

Your grandfather mst be a true survivor. Give him our gratitude for all he did and suffered through back then.
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

Please thank your grandfather from all of us. I salute him! I had an uncle that served with the 761st Tank Battalion in the ETO and his brother, my Dad served in the PTO.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Hiede

My thanks to your grandfather for his service, one of the greatest generation. I can't imagine the courage he must have had to continue on after being in a sea running red with blood and the bodies of his fellow soldiers floating beside him. What a horrible experience for a young man and understandable that he doesn't talk of that day. He is one of the fortunate ones, 9,387 others are buried here (The American Cemetery at Normandy). God bless them all.

The Old MSgt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1 cVjpBJiV4wSCh2BRmi1lRQ.jpeg  

What a difference between then and now. Your grandfather was indeed from the greatest generation. Storming a beach at 20 to protect the freedom of following generations. A hero for sure. Today, hurt the feelings of a 20 year old and they run for their safe place and whimper for hours.....

Members who have read this thread: 1