Hardware Question

Thread: Hardware Question

Hardware Question

Sorry in advance if this is not the correct forum to post this type of question. But I have been looking at upgrading my computer system again. Seems I'll be needing an entirely new tower unit. Are there any sites / manufacturers with pre-built tower units that one could recommend? I'm not looking for a bleeding edge computer. Not sure where my budget stands at this moment, but I plan on reusing my current 1080P monitor, keyboard and mouse.

My sig below is pretty much what I have now, and if could just upgrade it to Windows 11, I'd just do that and be done with it. But MS tells me my hardware is too old.

TIA

Tommy
    Last edited by tommieboy; May 30th, 2022 at 20:14.

The only thing I can suggest is either Tiger Direct or Newegg. I'm considering a new tower in the next few months after an estate gets settled and I have full access to the account, but we have a store here called Intrex that will either sell you the parts, or, for a bit more, build it for you. That second option also includes a basic warranty, so that will be the route I take.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

My current system was built by Newegg, it is their ABS line of computers. I would not waste my money on another pre-built system by Newegg, I had to replace the EVGA power supply as it burned out after three weeks and the cooling fans in the EVGA CLC cooler as they were very noisy and failed after a few weeks. The case also arrived with a dent in the top of it, even though it was very well packaged and there was no damage to the shipping box. No manuals or boxes from any of the components they used to built it and there have been numerous reports of open box returned items being used to build their computers. Your experience may be different, this was mine.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by tommieboy View Post
    Sorry in advance if this is not the correct forum to post this type of question. But I have been looking at upgrading my computer system again. Seems I'll be needing an entirely new tower unit. Are there any sites / manufacturers with pre-built tower units that one could recommend? I'm not looking for a bleeding edge computer. Not sure where my budget stands at this moment, but I plan on reusing my current 1080P monitor, keyboard and mouse.

My sig below is pretty much what I have now, and if could just upgrade it to Windows 11, I'd just do that and be done with it. But MS tells me my hardware is too old.

TIA

Tommy
    As for Windows 11, I'm using that, and am very happy with it. Performance really is stellar compared to the same rig with Windows 10 on it.

Small piece of advice, you'll have to enable the TPM in the BIOS before installing windows 11 on it. Or have the manufacturer do it for you.

Cheers,

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Just bought a new unit from Newegg, ABS system. i7 11700, EVGA 3060 Ti, 16 gig GSkill memory, with a 1 Tb nvme main drive, to which I installed another 500 gig SSD for my flight simulator install. Cost was $1500. Pretty resonable price and the performance is very good.
    Expect banging, belching and an occasional manly fart as you roar down the runway at full power. (I have found that the engine can make similar noises)

Quote Originally Posted by stansdds View Post
    My current system was built by Newegg, it is their ABS line of computers. I would not waste my money on another pre-built system by Newegg, I had to replace the EVGA power supply as it burned out after three weeks and the cooling fans in the EVGA CLC cooler as they were very noisy and failed after a few weeks. The case also arrived with a dent in the top of it, even though it was very well packaged and there was no damage to the shipping box. No manuals or boxes from any of the components they used to built it and there have been numerous reports of open box returned items being used to build their computers. Your experience may be different, this was mine.
    Was any of that covered under a warranty? Do they even offer one?

Tommy
    Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, 16 Gigs Ram
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield Quad-Core 2.8 GHz LGA 1156
    ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    CORSAIR K95 RGB Platnum XT, PBT double-shot keycaps, Cherry MX Blue
    Logitech M510

Was any of that covered under a warranty? Do they even offer one?

Tommy
    It could be covered under warranty, but I could not afford the down time involved with packing it up and shipping it back for service. I was going to do another DIY build, but at the time, many of the components were in such short supply that a pre-built was the only way I could replace my old Windows XP computer.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Blog Entries
    Look into companies like Alienware that specialize on gamming computers. They generally have higher end components than the Dell, Best Buy prefabs. These are directed at a general consumer that just does internet research and light duty stuff.

This article from PCGamer might be a good starting point. If you are up to it, building your own is, in my opinion, still the best route. It is not that hard and YouTube will give you easy set by step directions.

The best gaming PCs in 2022 | PC Gamer
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

It could be covered under warranty, but I could not afford the down time involved with packing it up and shipping it back for service. I was going to do another DIY build, but at the time, many of the components were in such short supply that a pre-built was the only way I could replace my old Windows XP computer.
    Thanks for the reply, very much appreciated.

Tommy
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    Logitech M510

Quote Originally Posted by jmig View Post
    Look into companies like Alienware that specialize on gamming computers. They generally have higher end components than the Dell, Best Buy prefabs. These are directed at a general consumer that just does internet research and light duty stuff.

This article from PCGamer might be a good starting point. If you are up to it, building your own is, in my opinion, still the best route. It is not that hard and YouTube will give you easy set by step directions.

The best gaming PCs in 2022 | PC Gamer

I checked with Alienware over a year ago and noted the many of their systems could no longer be shipped to California, and a bunch of other states. I think it was an energy code issue.

Thanks for that link to PCGamer!

Tommy
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    Logitech M510

AMD vs Intel? Does it really matter?

Also, I just noticed that many of these computers have a compact liquid cooling system. Any insights on that?

Thanks,

Tommy
    Last edited by tommieboy; June 1st, 2022 at 14:41.
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    Logitech M510

AMD components are a lot cheaper than Intel/Nvidia components. Personally, I think that Intel and Nvidia are what is needed for MSFS, but tastes differ.

The AMD crowd will think that I'm a snob!

Priller
    MSI Z790 Motherboard

Oooh, that's right. California has restrictions on computers based on energy consumption. By the way, it is my understanding that Alienware is owned by Dell, don't know if Alienware is worth the money these days. As for Intel, Nvidia, and AMD performance, I still think Intel and Nvidia have the advantage when it comes to flight simulators, at least those made by MicroSoft or based on MicroSoft's flight sims.

Blog Entries
    AMD vs Intel? Does it really matter?

Also, I just noticed that many of these computers have a compact liquid cooling system. Any insights on that?

Thanks,

Tommy
    I think, based on reading various forums, that Intel has a slight edge over AMD in flight simulation. AMD has the edge with most other types of games. Personally, I doubt you will notice a difference. many of these "edges" are FPS differences under controlled conditions. Just for the record, like Priller, I am in the Intel crowd.

I have used liquid cooling for my last two simulator computers. Today's systems produce a lot of heat. Many have auto over-clocking features that push the GHz. Air cooling struggles with removing the heat. I have never had an issue with the two liquid cooled systems I have built.
    John

32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive

If your considering getting an Alienware you might want to watch this Gamers Nexus video first.

Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

For those of you who build your own systems, how do you acquire and install the OS?

Tommy
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    Logitech M510

Blog Entries
    For those of you who build your own systems, how do you acquire and install the OS?

Tommy
    You can purchase Windows on either a CD or memory stick. If you have a Windows 10 CD from the past, you can also just purchase an activation key. Once Windows is installed it will update itself.

These can be purchased from a supplier like Newegg or Tiger Direct, or from Microsoft. Be careful of the internet "$30" deals. Often these are reused keys. I think for my last computer I bought Windows through Amazon.
    John

32 GB DDR5 RAM

By the way, it is my understanding that Alienware is owned by Dell, don't know if Alienware is worth the money these days.
    As someone that did Dell warranty service for a short time, I can tell you that from a hardware standpoint, Alienware is a PITA to work on. If you have a local shop that knows what they're doing, take some time with them, tell them what you want, and see what they can do for you. Personally, I'd steer clear of all the pretty lights and such - just get a system that performs.
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

I've built my own system twice now (and then upgraded those several times), and it's actually pretty easy to DIY, since most of the components are basically "idiot-proofed", so it's basically impossible to install something upside down or backwards or in the wrong spot. Running/wrangling the power supply cables is probably the most annoying part, but a well designed case and some cable ties make that a lot easier.

If you're not sure what components work with what, there's several websites (I think Newegg has one) where you can select the parts you want, and the site will then tell you if you selected components that don't actually work together.

About the only "fiddly" bit is installing the CPU in the motherboard, since you can bend some pins (which makes the CPU useless) if you do it wrong and try to force it, but if you look at a couple of "how to" videos online and take your time, it's pretty straightforward.

Quote Originally Posted by jmig View Post
    You can purchase Windows on either a CD or memory stick. If you have a Windows 10 CD from the past, you can also just purchase an activation key. Once Windows is installed it will update itself.

These can be purchased from a supplier like Newegg or Tiger Direct, or from Microsoft. Be careful of the internet "$30" deals. Often these are reused keys. I think for my last computer I bought Windows through Amazon.
    OK.

I noticed that many computers no longer come with CD/DVD players. So, I guess a memory stick would negate the need for one.

Tommy
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    Logitech M510

Tommy
    If you're buying a complete system, you should be able to get an OEM version of Windows from the supplier.

Cheers,

Priller
    MSI Z790 Motherboard

Having the OS installation software on a thumb drive is actually very convenient and data transfer is fast. MS almost always has two license types for of every variant of Windows, OEM and retail. The difference is in the number of installations you can perform. OEM licenses will end up serialized to the motherboard of the computer in which it is installed. Something happens to the motherboard and you have to replace it, you may end up purchasing Windows again. The retail license does not have this limitation, it is serialized to the owner. Only one retail license/installation is allowed at any given time, but should you have to replace the motherboard, you can install and register it again with MS. Other than that, there is no difference between OEM and retail.

Something happens to the motherboard and you have to replace it, you may end up purchasing Windows again.
    That's one thing that both Dell has going for it. Every MoBo has a license burned in, so the only thing you need to worry about is if you have encryption activated. If you have Pro or better, BitLocker can be suspended prior to replacing the board, but with Home, you have to fully decrypt the drive or you'll be going online for the 48 digit recovery key. Of course, commercial users (read: your corporate IT department) would just toss it into the reimage pile if it booted into the BitLocker recovery screen. The only tricky part is on the first boot - there's a screen that prompts you to input the "Service Tag" (serial # to the rest of the world), and you only have one shot to get it right. Get it wrong, and you're ordering another MoBo!
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Even with the retail version, I ran into Windows 7 licensing issues in the past when updating the hardware on my older computers. I could only reinstall so many times before MS charged you for a new serial number. Recovery from a HD crash counted as a reinstall. My original XP 7 install goes back to 2009 so a lot has happened along the way.

Tommy
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    Logitech M510

I would steer clear of HP, Dell and Alienware as they use mostly proprietary parts, meaning you can't buy off the shelf components to upgrade. You're pretty much locked into their system. Plus they really aren't put together very well. If you want a pre-built unit this might be one to consider:

https://maingear.com/vybe/
    Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VVC1NOgqeg

Or

https://www.amazon.com/Skytech-Chron...06&sr=8-4&th=1
    Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYyBeYW4FX4

Members who have read this thread: 0