Next Local Legends? Guess something? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Next Local Legends? Guess something?

I'm pretty sure that the devs are on it. It is a major feature which needs fixing. I really don't think they are ignoring it but remember, water and associated effects is a dramatically complex and difficult thing to simulate. Fine of you're a developer of ship/submarine games but this one is all encompassing, therefor much harder.

Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post
    I'm pretty sure that the devs are on it. It is a major feature which needs fixing. I really don't think they are ignoring it but remember, water and associated effects is a dramatically complex and difficult thing to simulate. Fine of you're a developer of ship/submarine games but this one is all encompassing, therefor much harder.
    btw. I hope that in Your DC-3/C-47 we will have your's pilots (even the ones from P3D are very cool) not default from MSFS.
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Quote Originally Posted by YoYo View Post
    It will be:
    $100 bongo bucks for that? No way. More expensive than I thought.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    Why do you guys keep wishing for floatplanes ?? Just makes MS/Asobo think they are doing fine when it comes to float planes while they certainly are not !All the beauty and magnificence of MSFS dissappears when you dare to look at a float plane taking off or land on water. Turns it into a silly childs game at best.To me it would be the same if MSFS aircraft models didn't have turning wheels. No turning wheels ? Oh well, who cares...Don't buy MSFS float planes until they fix the shameful waterspray effects (which in fact are not even there.. just a cheesy wake effect)Ok, i'll get off my wet soapbox now and if i'm the only one that truly hates the total lack of dedicated floatplane water effects so be it. If you need a reminder of what floatplane water effects are all about check this out :https://youtu.be/En0JX4HmSuo?t=1957(Ok, just an average nice looking take-off/landing waterspray effect will be fine too ;-)
    Well floatplanes are nostaligic and romantic. Dreams of a different time, and distant lands. If Asobo can figure out the water effects at some point, they will be quite fun.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Well, i hope you're right, Bazz. With all these visual shortcomings (no instant replay, no instant fly-by, no propliner start-up smoke, no floatplane waterspray effects, no vintage pilot figures inside vintage aeroplanes, etc.) i am really starting to loose interest in MSFS. These are all ingredients that normally come with a flight simulator, you don't have to wait for that ! It's like Irish Coffee without whiskey, Waldorf Salad without walnuts, Dame Blance without hot chocolate sauce (we're all out of whiskey, walnuts and hot chocolate sauce, sorry!). You get my drift.

Besides, if you can do jet exhaust shimmering heath effects, you can do smoke and waterspray effects. C'mon now ! These Asobo guys just don't give a hoot for it, that's my feeling. "We've giving you The World, that should do it, stop whining".

Just make sure you'll leave the XC-47C for later, Barry..

Quote Originally Posted by dvj View Post
    Well floatplanes are nostaligic and romantic. Dreams of a different time, and distant lands.
    Exactly ! That's why leaving the most identifyable character of a floatplane, i.e. its very significant reaction to the surface of water upon take-off and landing, out of the process is nothing short of disastrous (no to say a disgrace..). It's like ripping out the soul of a floatplane.

If only i was on the Asobo board... sigh...: " No ! No floatplanes yet ! You'll first get those waterspray and wake effects in order ! " ( along with heavy tapping of index finger on the boardtable.. )

Btw, just to clarify, i'm just getting so upset about all this because otherwise MSFS, certainly in the visual department, is the pinnacle of flight simulation, something we didn't even dare dreaming of a few years ago. And i can't thank MS/Asobo enough for that. Just makes all the omissions in the visual department stand out like a sour thumb. They do belong here so very much but sofar we're just not getting them !

( i bought MSFS in August 2020, soon that's 2 years ago... something like 'Fly-By View' camera is even in the "not started" stage in the MSFS roadmap. Searching for 'waterspray effect' and/or 'wake effect' will probabely return zero, zilch. I stopped looking.. )

Quote Originally Posted by dvj View Post
    Well floatplanes are nostaligic and romantic. Dreams of a different time, and distant lands. If Asobo can figure out the water effects at some point, they will be quite fun.
    Agreed, water effects are pathetic right now, for helicopters too, IMO.

The problem is that people forget simulator life before 2020. When it came out, the level of wonder and excitement was palpable. The level of detail in the stock aircraft was lauded and new payware went under the microscope for levels of detail to match. Now, absurd levels of detail are expected as the norm and for a price that even 10 years ago was laughable.

Two years is nothing in the development timeline for something as complex as MSFS. Everyone involved with this game, including third party developers, have massive learning curves to climb. Patience will be rewarded. The question is do people have any these days?

Ah, another call to flight simulator consumers to pay premium prices for an unfinished game. And like it and ask for more. And blame any dissatisfaction with the product on its consumers.

It's a good thing we are not normal consumers but have the "patience" to beta test a game for years after buying it. I know of no other game audience that has this much "patience" (gullibility). They have trained us well.

We should try training them for a change. I feel like flight sim devs need to experience more of a Cyberpunk 2077 backlash to feel the proper embarrassment for not having fixed Day 1 bugs after 2 years.

August

Not sure where you got all that from but whatever.

I love MSFS. It is far and away the most enjoyable non-combat flight sim I've ever owned, and I've done more in the last five months in MSFS than I did with P3D and X-Plane put together over three years. Asobo has yet to get everything right, of course, but development is ongoing and they are aware of flaws, shortcomings and the general desires of the flight sim community. Huge thanks to Asobo, and long may it continue.

Quote Originally Posted by K5083 View Post
    Ah, another call to flight simulator consumers to pay premium prices for an unfinished game. And like it and ask for more. And blame any dissatisfaction with the product on its consumers.

It's a good thing we are not normal consumers but have the "patience" to beta test a game for years after buying it. I know of no other game audience that has this much "patience" (gullibility). They have trained us well.

We should try training them for a change. I feel like flight sim devs need to experience more of a Cyberpunk 2077 backlash to feel the proper embarrassment for not having fixed Day 1 bugs after 2 years.

August

Not sure where you got all that from but whatever.
    I'm not sure either. The dev's have stated that development will continue well into the next few years. Would you have rather waited until 2030? You'd probably end up saying that the final release was behind the times at that point.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

All I know is that development is supposed to come before release. And be finished before release. As stated in the article I linked to, it has become an increasing trend in games for publishers to rush to make their release date with an unfinished or buggy game. But, they then take heat for it, heads roll, they cower and apologize and hurry to fix the game, or else the game dies a well deserved death.

It's only in flight simming where the publisher serves me a half cooked meal, let's me smell it and nibble it, then takes it back to the kitchen repeatedly to finish cooking it to something closer to the meal I ordered, meanwhile selling me more half-cooked side dishes rather than finishing the main one, and this is somehow acceptable. Now, I understand that we are a niche audience with not many options, which gives publishers the power to treat us like this. Fine, I'll live with that if I have to. But the implication that it's somehow the user's fault for expecting a finished product, that we just don't understand that the "development cycle" continues after release -- no, I'm calling BS on that. I have seen enough in gaming outside of flight sims to know greed and excuses when I see them. That's where I "get it from," by the way -- gaming experience outside the flight sim bubble. And MSFS is not that special of a piece of software that it deserves to break the rule of develop, then publish.

August

well, no matter how many historical aircraft you place here, and having absolute respect for all opinions, I hope that the AN2 does not take too long, a magnificent plane with a magnificent power plant and spectacular performance for its mission,

But the implication that it's somehow the user's fault for expecting a finished product...
    As I said, the dev's stated multiple times that development would continue after release. With that disclaimer made, and the Development Roadmap always in the public eye, expecting a "finished" product in MSFS isn't logical. It's like buying a house next to an airport and then complaining about the noise.

Now...

Can we please steer this thread back to possible Local Legends prospects? I don't want to have to close it, but if it swirls any closer to the drain, I will.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Well, if Asobo ever does a Florida World Update and we're still looking for local float plane legends, how about the world's first airline? The 1913 Benoist XIV, that made passenger flights in Tampa Bay.
    https://www.fantasyofflight.com/coll...3-benoist-xiv/

Forest

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    As I said, the dev's stated multiple times that development would continue after release. With that disclaimer made, and the Development Roadmap always in the public eye, expecting a "finished" product in MSFS isn't logical. It's like buying a house next to an airport and then complaining about the noise.

Now...

Can we please steer this thread back to possible Local Legends prospects? I don't want to have to close it, but if it swirls any closer to the drain, I will.
    I hope this is not the trigger you meant, because regarding your previous comment, I know of an international airport whose neighborhood not only complain about the noise, but they convinced authorities to force departing aircraft to reduce power drastically and make a steep turn just after taking off

Re Local Legends, if we're talking about Italians, I'd love to see the SIAI-Marchetti SF-260 trainer in MSFS. Sure it would look great in Air Combat USA classic colors!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stearman View Post
    SF-260 trainer in MSFS.
    SSW + Sim Coders working on it. This year I suppose (although the work has slowed down a bit).

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    Btw, he did not do the MSFS Reno L-39 edition, did he ?...
    Oh Yes!!! he did the l-39's in msfs

Quote Originally Posted by dummy_74 View Post
    Oh Yes!!! he did the l-39's in msfs
    Ok,right, thanks! No doubt the novelty must have worn off a bit..

IMHO in FSX it truly was a speciality, one of the best FS aircraft add-on's ever. Magic!

I agree with Heywooood that my personal preference for the Italy one would have been one of the Schneider Cup racers, but the S55 is a legit choice and I support any OEM attention to vintage types, it's been one of the pleasant twists in the Msfs development saga thus far. So that leaves us to guess about Local Legends to go with WU10 and beyond. Some of the proposals raised here thus far that are mainly American in their impact are better candidates for Famous Flyers than Local Legends.

As far as I know we don't know what the regions for WU10 and beyond will be, but I could be wrong, obviously I don't read the developer blogs or else I would know that MSFS is an early access kickstarter game and not the AAA title Microsoft markets it as. I have heard rumors about Greece for WU10. That is actually a pretty tough one if we assume that the LLs will continue to be vintage civil aircraft. Not much comes to mind for Greece in that vein.

Thinking ahead, presumably they eventually will do something with Africa and then it would be a crime not to do the Sikorsky S-38 Osa's Ark and/or S-39 Spirit of Africa. If they miss the Africa opportunity they could still do the Carnauba S-38 when they get around to Brazil.

If they ever do a Canada update, there are any number of good candidates, mostly bush planes. The Fairchild FC2 and/or 71 would be my nomination, but anything from a Curtiss flying boat to a Stinson, cabin Waco or Moth, to a Norseman would make sense.

Either the American clippers or the British Short flying boats would be great subjects and you could make an argument to have them be a Local Legend for China, say, or anywhere else they flew. But I feel like those planes are too complex to build to the modest LL price point.

August

Either the American clippers or the British Short flying boats would be great subjects and you could make an argument
    Yessir, one argument here !

But oh well, what's the use..

I'll get my coat (or is that goat..?)

No, make that i'll get my boat (hopefully really...currently bidding on a Grand Banks 49 in auction here in Holland. If i can't have nice realistic waterspray effects in MSFS i'll damn well have 'em for real ! )

S.55 not relesed yet?

Quote Originally Posted by YoYo View Post
    S.55 not released yet?
    It releases with the normal Thursday Marketplace update. Based on their usual timing, should be another ~4 hours.

Members who have read this thread: 0