Ft Glenn Alaska FS9

Thread: Ft Glenn Alaska FS9

A Godforsaken posting

Fort Glenn Army Air base FS9

Fort Glenn, Umnak, Aleutian islands, Alaska, PAFG, constructed in January 1942
    Home originally to 11th fighter sqd P40 Warhawk's
    and then B24,B17 and B26 units

There's no ground poly with this scenery as it looks pretty good without,except in the summer months, so do your flying in Fall, Winter and Spring as the field will look its best. There's no traffic im afraid, i did try but for some reason TT would'nt play ball, but i did find a static Harpoon bgl by Shessi which add's effect

Parking 1 to 3 is fighter sized, but 4 to 11 is big enough for B24 size aircraft, there also a water start for flying boat fans

Most of these objects, you should already have by now, but just in case---
    RAF Manston 44 FS9.zip
    Wofi Library Objects.zip (converted to FS9 by Desert Rat)
    FS2004 Vintage Military Buildings SS, by Sidney Schwartz, found at Flightsim, look for "vintmlss.zip"

You'll find a Zip in this file, "USAAF vchs.zip", If you dont already have these,unzip and place Bgl into Addon- scenery/scenery, and Bmp's into Addon-scenery/texture. These fine Vch's are by Tako_Kichi who kindly allowed me to
    port them over from X to 9, ive used these in a few other scenery's recently but forgotton to give credit

Thanks to Shessi for the Harpoon static
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails f1.jpg   f3.jpg   f2.jpg  

Thanks Ian. I must confess this is a corner of the world I hardly visit. But perhaps this scenery is a good reason to start exploring it.

Cheers,
    Huub

Nice!

As Huub, not an area I know...I'll go get my winter woolies on then...thanks for this.

Cheers

Shessi

Thanks Ian. I served in the USAF in Alaska and Greenland. Really brings back the memories.

Steve
    Do not fear the enemy, for they can take only your life. Fear the media far more, for they will destroy your honour.

Ft Glenn Alaska FS9

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category FS 2004 Scenery

Description: Fort Glenn, Umnak, Aleutian islands, Alaska, PAFG, constructed in January 1942
    Home originally to 11th fighter sqd P40 Warhawk's
    and then B24,B17 and B26 units

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit Ft Glenn Alaska FS9
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

I did some time reading about this airfield, but I don't think it was a place many volunteered to go to. Cloudy, very windy and extreme wet. Living in tent for a long time.

Cheers,
    Huub

Blog Entries
    Great scenery Ian, Thank you.

Interesting photo series of day to day in the Aleutian Campaign. Photo gallery by Dmitri Kessel, Life Magazine.

https://www.life.com/history/aleutia...tos-from-wwii/

Great set of photos Hurricane, thanks for sharing. There's one photo with the caption "Unidentified military personnel" Im pretty sure he's Canadian, both Canadian army and airforce units were present in the Aleutian theater,

Quote Originally Posted by ian elliot View Post
    Great set of photos Hurricane, thanks for sharing. There's one photo with the caption "Unidentified military personnel" Im pretty sure he's Canadian, both Canadian army and airforce units were present in the Aleutian theater,
    I'm sure he is as the patch on his battle dress is the formation patch worn by Canadians of the 13th Infantry Brigade participating in Task Force 9, the invasion of Kiska.

Cheers,
    Huub

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    I'm sure he is as the patch on his battle dress is the formation patch worn by Canadians of the 13th Infantry Brigade participating in Task Force 9, the invasion of Kiska.

Cheers,
    Huub
    UK style battledress and Canadian cap badge on beret would seem to concur Huub

ttfn

Pete

Nice RCAF Aleutian theater repaint by UncleTgt for the KM P40K in the cfs2 Commonwealth skin section of SOH library, works a charm in 9
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails c.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Motormouse View Post
    UK style battledress and Canadian cap badge on beret would seem to concur Huub

ttfn

Pete
    The pipe already said enough

Cheers,
    Huub

I fly the ex-payware IRIS P-40 with the alternative model files, which makes the model less "shiny/glossy". Here with a repaint by Sokotai.

Duck made a nice paintkit for this model, so I might do "Bitsa" The P-40 flown by Squadron leader Boomer, who scored the first and only RCAF "home" victory, and the only RCAF victory of the War over the Japanese air force.

Cheers,
    Huub

Were quite spoilt for P40's, I like to fly the SOH donationware E model, there's some repaints by Sopwith Chameleon which im particularly fond off. and the KM 40 for other mark's, the length of the undercarriage gets me on the KM's, but once in the air, its not an issue. But i will give the Iris a try

Members who have read this thread: 0