new freeware Wedell Type 44
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new freeware Wedell Type 44

Looks really nice, thanks for the link and info.
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

It's really, really well done. At least as solid as some of the simpler payware planes I've bought. Well worth your time to download and check out!

Jankees, a fantasy US Navy (prewar or three-tone blue) or RAAF WW2 paint scheme would look fantastic on this. Just hinting.

Agree with all above. This is amazingly good for freeware, clearly a labor of love and better than pro products in many respects. Really an awesome surprise to start my morning today.

August

Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    Jankees, a fantasy US Navy (prewar or three-tone blue) or RAAF WW2 paint scheme would look fantastic on this. Just hinting.
    I concur!! But with a "pretty please"

Question: is this as difficult to fly as a Gee Bee?

Priller
    Last edited by Priller; May 1st, 2022 at 03:51. Reason: Added question
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

The Wedell-Williams Model 44s, of which four were built, dominated the Bendix races in the early 1930s, winning it in 1932 (Capt. Jasper Haizlip), 1933 (Roscoe Turner), and 1934 (Doug Davis). They also won the Thompson Trophy races in 1933 and 1934, with James Wedell and Roscoe Turner respectively. Initially they were fitted with the same engine as that which powered the Gee Bee R-2, the Pratt & Whitney R-985 Wasp Jr., but later the larger P&W R-1340 Wasp (as installed in the Gee Bee R-1) and P&W R-1690 Hornet engines were also used. According to the developer, the example depicted here is fitted with the R-985. (It's interesting that the R-985 modeled in this freeware model is incorrectly mounted upside down.)

I don't know anything about how the real Model 44s flew (I will have to do some reading). Looking at the design of the airframe, with the location of the engine/landing gear/pilot and center of gravity, as well as the size of the wings, I would believe it would handle rather conventionally, though I don't know if there has ever been a purpose-built racer that was easy to fly. The ailerons and tail surfaces seem quite small.

Like flying the Gee Bees, it would be important to get the power up and tail up off the ground as early as possible on takeoff, to get the tail skid out of the ground, to get more air crossing over the rudder, and to be able to see down the runway. This sim model handles that really well - I get the power up to 30-in MP quickly but smoothly, as I put some forward pressure on the stick until the tail is up (all happening in a matter of two-three seconds). With the wind straight down the runway, there is little rudder input needed. I've been flying off at around 85 knots - it's a real rocket ship/like a slingshot on takeoff. In the air it is quite docile but locks up as you approach 200 knots. It doesn't like going below about 65 knots and has a hard stall at around 50-55 knots. Landings should of course be done with a curved approach. I made my first landing flying quite fast, flying final at 95 knots and a wheel landing touching down at 85 knots (then using brakes, while holding the tail up, until slowed down to 25 knots or so). My second landing I was able to fly final at around 85 knots and did a tail-low, near three-point landing, at around 65 knots. It only side-slips marginally well before running out of rudder, and a low approach is required as it doesn't like to bleed off speed in a descent.

Seen here are a couple of the replicas which once flew, back in the 1990s (since retired to museum display):

Last edited by Bomber_12th; May 1st, 2022 at 08:34.

Having spent some time with this plane today, I would say that it is a more docile than the Gee Bee but responds well to the same flying technique.

On closer inspection I have noticed a few more issues with the 3D model, such as the cambered lower wing surfaces, but nothing I can't ignore in such an excellent freeware model.

I found the aileron response to be sluggish, just as John found with the Gee Bees. The difference is that unlike the Gee Bees, this plane isn't encrypted, and can be tweaked. Increasing the aileron effectiveness scalar from 1.35 to 1.8 produced a roll rate of about 70 degrees per second which seems much more realistic to me for a pylon racer from this era.

August

Quote Originally Posted by K5083 View Post
    Having spent some time with this plane today, I would say that it is a more docile than the Gee Bee but responds well to the same flying technique.On closer inspection I have noticed a few more issues with the 3D model, such as the cambered lower wing surfaces, but nothing I can't ignore in such an excellent freeware model.I found the aileron response to be sluggish, just as John found with the Gee Bees. The difference is that unlike the Gee Bees, this plane isn't encrypted, and can be tweaked. Increasing the aileron effectiveness scalar from 1.35 to 1.8 produced a roll rate of about 70 degrees per second which seems much more realistic to me for a pylon racer from this era.August
    Would love to alias the Gee Bee sound files into this one.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Quote Originally Posted by dvj View Post
    Yes, the sounds for this plane are aliased to the CAP-10, that's why it sounds weak.

I don't know about aliasing sounds from an encrypted plane like the Gee Bee, but there are plenty of others you can use. Old FSX/P3D sounds will work. I copied the sounds from the Vertigo Stearman for FSX into my Wedell, and it sounds a lot better now.

August

Quote Originally Posted by K5083 View Post
    Yes, the sounds for this plane are aliased to the CAP-10, that's why it sounds weak. I don't know about aliasing sounds from an encrypted plane like the Gee Bee, but there are plenty of others you can use. Old FSX/P3D sounds will work. I copied the sounds from the Vertigo Stearman for FSX into my Wedell, and it sounds a lot better now. August
    Thank you. I'll have to look into this. d
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Someone on the official forum said the sounds weren't aliased properly and thus the WAV files that are supposed to be there for the engine, to supplement the CAP 10 cockpit sounds, aren't playing. It's certainly quiet in the cockpit...

As for the roll response, it feels right to me, because it IS responsive at low speed. Planes of this era had purely manual, unboosted controls, and it was very difficult (especially with relatively small control surfaces like the Type 44) to maneuver at higher speeds.

The Mitsubishi Zero, for instance, loses almost all of its amazing maneuverability at speeds over 185 mph, because the controls are so heavy in addition to the surfaces being less effective at high speeds.

To me the responsiveness here feels more appropriate for planes of the era than the Gee Bees.

Yes, the modder has used the control surface elasticity tables in the flight_model.cfg to limit control surface travel at high speeds. You can feel it in flight and also see it in the visual model. Work the controls when stationary on the runway and see how much they deflect, then take off and get up to speed, and you'll see that they move much less.

August

Quote Originally Posted by dvj View Post
    Was thinking the same the first time I started her up! Are we not able to alias sounds ourselves in msfs?

LouP

Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    A bit like this you mean?
    HGGH1 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

HGGH3 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

HGGH8 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

HGGH9 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

She looks happy in those clothes - nicely done!
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

and how's this?

3d by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

3e by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

3g by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

btw, isn't the pilot sitting a bit too far back in the cockpit? Especially when compared with John's pics?
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.

Both are brilliant Jankees!

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Jankees, both of those are awesome! Thanks for doing those -- can't wait to try them!

As I look at it in military garb, I realize the P-26 Peashooter would also be an excellent template for a paint job. (Not necessarily asking, you've already done cool stuff, just tossing it out there since I noticed!) Just a very similar overall design. They're both wearing the same pants.

It looks quite similar like Skylark plane (LC for FSX):

The same fashion .
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Very cool looking plane and love those AAC repaints Jankees!

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    btw, isn't the pilot sitting a bit too far back in the cockpit? Especially when compared with John's pics?
    yes - the pilot is not only seated too far back but the scaling might be off a bit as well. This was not a large airplane. The pilot should be much larger in the cockpit than what we see here.
    The airfoil shape, prop blade shape and rotation, the rigging attachment points, and needing some additional cockpit controls notwithstanding, this is still a terrific bit of work. Hopefully we'll see not
    only some updates to the Type 44 by Sal1800 but maybe some new additional aircrafts as well - I sure hope so.
    Specifications (Model 44)[edit]

Wedel Williams 44 3-view drawing from L'Aerophile Salon 1932

Data from Race With the Wind: How Air Racing Advanced Aviation[12]
    General characteristics

• Crew: 1
    • Length: 23 ft 0 in (7.01 m)
    • Wingspan: 26 ft 3 in (8.0 m)
    • Height: 8 ft 1 in (2.46 m)
    • Wing area: 107.9 sq ft (10.02 m2)
    • Airfoil: M-10 (modified)
    • Empty weight: 1,702 lb (772 kg)
    • Gross weight: 2,677 lb (1,214 kg)
    • Powerplant: 1 × Pratt & Whitney R-1690-S1C3G 9-cyl. air-cooled radial piston engine, 1,020 hp (760 kW)
    • Propellers: 2-bladed Hamilton Standard ground adjustable, Curtiss adjustable or Smith adjustable propeller

Performance

• Maximum speed: 325 mph (523 km/h, 282 kn) [13]
    • Range: 900 mi (1,400 km, 780 nmi)
    • Service ceiling: 14,000 ft (4,300 m)
    • Wing loading: 24.83 lb/sq ft (121.2 kg/m2)
    • Power/mass: 0.38hp/lb (0.63 kW/kg)

scale model of the Type 44 I built a while back - note the size of the pilot in the cockpit..
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

I just uploaded both Navy paints to .to
    1d by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

1l1 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

HGGH4 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

have fun!

Thanks, Jan Kees! I’m looking forward to flying around in my new F2W-1 and F2W-1D!

(In my fantasy universe, the XFW-1 was based on the Model 22, but the Navy passed on that design.)

Members who have read this thread: 1