Carenado Gee Bee R-2 and Model Z - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carenado Gee Bee R-2 and Model Z

Copyright © Bill Campbell is the creator of the Weird-ohs
    Thanks again for your input, Bomber_12th.

I've been watching videos and I see that he gets the tail off the ground within a second or two at the beginning of his take off roll. I'm just not able to do that, despite slamming the throttle full forward.
    Yesterday evening I did get her airborne, but I was off the runway, and I was at the perimeter tree line. In real life I'd been dead.

Your entire post is very bad news for rookie wannabe pilots like me, I love it, how am I going to master this.

My second take-off in the Z from Cecil Field.
    https://youtu.be/OxxMV1pP0Mw

Thanks for all that great background info, John! Half of the sim experience for me is knowing as much as possible about the real plane I’m flying.

It's hard to know exactly what Delmar meant by saying the R-2 had "four times" the aileron sensitivity of a Pitts. The R-2 did not plausibly have four times the Pitts' roll rate, actually it probably was about the same. Based on his other comments, he probably just meant that small stick throws produced large effects - something quite similar to the joystick sensitivity that you can set in Options. So create a joystick profile just for the R-2 with a sensitivity curve that is steeper in the center, or even one that reaches full control deflection at about 25% of stick travel, and you should be able to mimic the effect pretty well.

August

The info in this thread on the history and personalities of these aircraft is what made me decide to purchase this package. Originally, I hadn't planned on adding these to my hanger, but hearing about the piloting challenge
    changed my mind.

Thanks to all of the info contributors in this thread.

Forest

Members who have read this thread: 0