Odd Momentary Freezing (Cyclic) of Graphics

Thread: Odd Momentary Freezing (Cyclic) of Graphics

Odd Momentary Freezing (Cyclic) of Graphics

Just recently I started seeing momentary (1 second) pauses/freezes and occasional brief camera movement blurring in FS2020 that seemed to come out of nowhere but I am thinking after recent routine updates of Windows 10 and other software. These momentary pauses/freezes seem to run in 1 minute cycles. My system is fine, no instabilities, my Nvidia 2080ti is running the latest drivers, it's temps are normal, no odd graphics spikes/anomalies. The only thing I could find was that at the time of the pauses/freezes, there was a marked drop in the 3D performance graph in the Task Manager GPU Performance Window (note the attached screenshot). This issue happens with FS2020 and to a less degree with DCS but no other high performance/graphics games or video usage. I am seeing a lot of users on the official FS2020 forum reporting this issue to greater or lesser degrees. On my end, it's not a show stopper but annoying. I don't think my GPU is crapping out, just thing something has sneaked into the system that is causing the issue. I also removed all the addons and tried backdating the GPU drivers. I also went through ever fix recommended and tested different settings myself but to no avail. Before this issue arrived, the sim was running very smoothly (best it had been).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (5359).jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	205.1 KB 
ID:	86963

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Interesting.

I've noticed a similar thing with P3D 5.3 on several occasions!

I've also had a few instances when P3D will CTD, or hang up when switching to an external view, the later when zooming in.

Cheers

Paul

Icon25

Set rolling cache to 2GB , and try again ~

Quote Originally Posted by Brytskiva View Post
    Would you mind elaborating on that piece of advice please? Thanks!

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Tried that, to no avail. The issue is still present however it did seem to lessen it to an extent (the frequency and severity).

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've recently started getting some weird problems too.

Everything was working great until a Windows update Friday afternoon (Win10).
    Since then MSFS randomly stops responding during start up and I have to kill it in the task manager and try again, I get random CTD's when starting a flight and FSUIPC no longer starts automatically when starting the Sim, I have to start it manually after MSFS is up and running.
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

Copyright © Bill Campbell is the creator of the Weird-ohs
    "... Everything was working great until a Windows update Friday afternoon (Win10) ...."

I've been getting this on every flight lasting longer than 4 hrs. (PMDG DC-6). I'm a "tuber" what can I say

Name:	memory.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	341.1 KB 
ID:	86969

KMSY to KLAS yesterday. I don't know if it is related but "sompin" has happened! Application error. The memory could not be written.

Sorry for the over exposure but HDR10 is ON, and it is beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    Would you mind elaborating on that piece of advice please? Thanks!

Priller
    Options > General > Data... I have my rolling cache turned off.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

...... like in this area

Name:	Microsoft Flight Simulator Screenshot 2021.08.16 - 16.28.00.82.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	234.4 KB 
ID:	86977

Quote Originally Posted by StormILM View Post
    Just recently I started seeing momentary (1 second) pauses/freezes and occasional brief camera movement blurring in FS2020 that seemed to come out of nowhere but I am thinking after recent routine updates of Windows 10 and other software. These momentary pauses/freezes seem to run in 1 minute cycles. My system is fine, no instabilities, my Nvidia 2080ti is running the latest drivers, it's temps are normal, no odd graphics spikes/anomalies. The only thing I could find was that at the time of the pauses/freezes, there was a marked drop in the 3D performance graph in the Task Manager GPU Performance Window (note the attached screenshot). This issue happens with FS2020 and to a less degree with DCS but no other high performance/graphics games or video usage. I am seeing a lot of users on the official FS2020 forum reporting this issue to greater or lesser degrees. On my end, it's not a show stopper but annoying. I don't think my GPU is crapping out, just thing something has sneaked into the system that is causing the issue. I also removed all the addons and tried backdating the GPU drivers. I also went through ever fix recommended and tested different settings myself but to no avail. Before this issue arrived, the sim was running very smoothly (best it had been).

Name:	Screenshot (5359).jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	205.1 KB 
ID:	86963
    You are a little hot ( 83 ) , lower your graphic settings , and speed up the fans on your 2080 Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    Options > General > Data... I have my rolling cache turned off.
    Ok, Obviously I worded my question in the wrong way: I mean why would you limit or up your rolling cache. What is the logic behind the proposal.

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

This might help...

Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

You are a little hot ( 83 ) , lower your graphic settings , and speed up the fans on your 2080 Ti
    Lowered the Graphics settings to preset lower levels, the issue still persists. The GPU fans run sufficiently from what I have seen and according to NVIDIA and Falcon NW (my PC's builder), it's pretty normal for high end programs like this. I am of the thinking this issue appeared about the time some Win 10 updates installed and it's causing lag between the CPU and GPU. Not seeing any upward spikes or graphic anomalies at all other than these momentary freezes. The remainder of the performance is as it was before this issue appeared.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

After a bit of research and according to NVIDIA, this is a Bottleneck issue causing the momentary steep low usage of the cores. The opinion is that it is likely some other component in the system that feeds the GPU. The CPU performance during these drops is very normal as are memory use levels. All tests of the hardware came back clean so I don't think it's anything involving a failing component, all correlates to the recent updates, just a question of which one and what it specifically affected which unfortunately is like a needle in a haystack.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    Ok, Obviously I worded my question in the wrong way: I mean why would you limit or up your rolling cache. What is the logic behind the proposal.

Priller
    ..... Tip from ASOBO !

Members who have read this thread: 0