GTX1650 Video Card

Thread: GTX1650 Video Card

SOH-CM-2020

GTX1650 Video Card

This might be slightly OT, but my GTX770 card died recently. It was a big impressive looking thing, with three fans, double width, copper cooling tubes and all kinda fancy looking things. It had 2Gb DDR5 RAM. I was mildly surprised to see that that type was first manufactured in 2013. Wow, time flies.

So I looked out for something in a reasonable price range. I ended up with something that looks a lot less imposing. No copper cooling tubes, only one (admittedly large) fan, and much shorter. It used less power attacher thingys. A GTX1650 OC with 4Gb DDR6 RAM. How, I mused, could something with faster speed, larger RAM use less power and cost less (I bought the cheapest advertised price in NZ). Also, it turns out to be fundamentally not that much younger then the GTX770. 1650s were made since 2016. (all dates on the internet searches).

Anyway it was very easy to install and I wasn't expecting much improvement in visuals. After all, the GTX provided performance unheard of when CFS3 came out in December 2002. However, I've been pleasantly surprised. The rate at which trees render in the scenery, the terrain colours are distinctly better. The gunsight in my Pat's Bob Hurricane now has a truly luminous lighting to the reticule, and the bevel of the clear gunsight has a green which I've never seen before, and the reflections along the beveled surface of the gunsight move fluidly as I bank the aircraft. It is startling and immersive. All praise to Ankors Shaders! Wonder why my huge GTX770 couldn't render those subtle effects?

And the aircraft damage effects - debris seems to last longer and whizz past my cockpit causing me to duck reflexively. There are richer and more diverse colours in the flames coming out of the damaged aircraft. Maybe I'll try to increase the particles in the configoverrides, I understand this is related to effects.

One of the explosions coming from a Do-17 had an orange tinge to the fireball I had not seen before. Mostly flames had had a yellowy tinge.

So thus far I am impressed in my little GTX1650. Smaller, cheaper but offers something new for a jaded CFS3 afficionado.

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the heads up ! After my RAM upgrade,this is next on my agenda. Much cheaper than i thought ! Lord willing ,there is hope for me now. Then i could play WOFF/BHaH II to my heart's content ! Nice to hear the improvements it has with CFS3. All that and don't have to get a bank loan to get a nice graphics card. Thanks for sharing ! Regards,Scott

I’ve run a 1650 GTX for some years now and it just does what it says on the tin. The difficulty in the UK has been finding any video card on sale still in stock, so congratters on being able to buy one where you are!
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

I always look at Tom's Hardware when GPU shopping.

US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorMagee View Post
    I always look at Tom's Hardware when GPU shopping.
    Some of the cards on that list are over $3000 in NZ! Makes me happy to see a distinct improvement for a modest amount of moolah.

Just one of those would pay for a pretty decent machine two or three times over.

Members who have read this thread: 0