A New Project To Begin

Thread: A New Project To Begin

A New Project To Begin

I just finished a very complex terminal that a friend requested me to do for him that took over a week. I was fortunate to be given access to the actual architects drawings for it. He still has work to do on the airport. If satisfied it will probably be shared here. Now that my part is complete, I am going "back to Texas" GA. I enjoyed doing Denton Executive and also Gun Barrel Airpark. I found online two others: Houston Executive and also Austin Executive with custom buildings. Nobody except for X-plane it seems ever did West Houston Executive airport. I just Google Earth'd it and I think it will be a nice addition since it is the HQ of the Houston Chapter of the Commemorative Air Force and they keep their N3N there. A perfect addon for the upcoming GAS N3N just beginning to be developed. I will probably do all the buildings custom in Sketchup take my time to do them accurately. Falcon 409 set the bar with his Bucks Cty PA airport he has just finished. Ed's airports always challenge me to do a bit better with each one I tackle. Thank you Ed.

Good luck - looking forward to your finished product. Texas A&M Colllege Station and New Braunfels might also be interesting to you - large flight schools operate there.

On Hold For A Little While

This will be done but its on hold while I finish up KCSG Columbus, GA Airport. I decided to create all the enhanced taxiway markings and Hold Short Enhanced as at the real KCSG airport. I ran into a snag but with the help of Tom Gibson over at FS Developers its solved and being completed. I also have to customize the jetway bridges in GSX V2 which the airport was generous enough to provide me with photos. Google Earth is not correct. They were updated and repositioned with the airport renovation. When its complete it will be I hope up to date as it appears now. I wanted to try and do photoreal background but S Builder and Google Earth Satellite imagery were not good enough in my opinion so I am instead using jpgs and ADEx. They WILL have seasons that way since I am not an Autogen Annotator.

When I finally get to doing KIWS I want it to be top quality and accurate so I'm not rushing anything.

KRHI Rhinelander Wisconsin

I have "changed gears" and am doing KRHI instead of West Houston because it has more memories never been in Texas and lots of times in Wisconsin. Also I can fly Delta Express Skywest out of here for Delta Virtual hours. Here is a photo of the terminal. Cool ski jump roofs. Gonna be a challenge in Sketchup. I have been able to download curvaloft wish me luck! "The airport has a live webcam on the apron side of the terminal and it was funny to see at Noon it was still 33oF and a couple feet of snow pushed off on the edges. It's a lot nicer than that here in Coastal Carolina today.

Rhinelander-Oneida Airport Hangers

One-click hanger is such a fantastic tool. Over the weekend I was able using Google Earth sampling the roofs in Photoshop and using their ruler to create 21 Ga hangers of various sizes for the airport. Today and this evening I am continuing working on Rhinelander Flying Service which is the FBO at the airport. Also, yesterday afternoon I was able to get one of the technicians who was on duty to assist me in identifying some buildings I couldn't figure out: the fire station; county maintenance buildings AND the unused-now de-icing building which didn't work like they hoped it would. Now its just used for county vehicle storage like the snowplows in summer or the mowers in winter. I am going to "store" a few static ones in it AND using SODE going to program plows and mowers like I was able to do at KASH. All of this is while I am waiting for airport admin to provide the terminal information. She said when tax time is over which I took advantage of doing myself today, too. Time just gets away from you and its April 15th week before you know it.

Rhinelander Flying Service FBO

Here is the first building I have exported and converted into a bgl to be added to the airport in ADEx. I was able to get some really good photos from the Facebook page to be able to do an accurate job. Here are three photos I just took:

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    Here is the first building I have exported and converted into a bgl to be added to the airport in ADEx. I was able to get some really good photos from the Facebook page to be able to do an accurate job. Here are three photos I just took:

I've been quietly watching and this looks very nice and promising.

Before Calling It A Day

When something is working so well, you just don't want to quit. After dinner I went back to the airport and added 10 hangers and finished an apron with 11 parking places where they belong per Google Earth connected with apron links. Compiled it and its ready to do some flying tomorrow well maybe though the terminal is still not there.

Almost Finished

I have spent the last three workdays (10:00-17:00 EDT) on the terminal for KRHI unfortunately without any help with drawings from the airport admin I have had to work from all the photos I could possibly get so I am going to admit that it is probably only 95% accurate but I'm pleased with all the owrk and it has been hard work interpreting the photos translating into Sketchup. Tomorrow before I have to go to the VA Clinic I will try and finish up the custom jetway. I don't know how to animate it so it will have to be static and taxied up to since it IS ground level for the Delta CRJ's. There are threads on FSDeveloper to animate a Sketchup jetway but it was way over my head and beyond my skills. I will accept any volunteers who know how to do this. I will post some more screenshots in FSX when I get the rest of it done. I am going to share it here when its all done.

There Comes A Time For Me

Here are two shots of the finished terminal on the airport layout in FSX(A). I am ready to use it and post it here for anyone who would like it. All buildings are custom in Sketchup and placed as close as possible with Google Earth screenshots. Not perfect but as a friend says: "it's as good as it gets". I really like the terminal. Google Earth left a bit to be desired IMO for placement. The shots were not perfectly aligned so it's probably 90% accurate. IMO though with the custom buildings it's sure a lot closer than a default one. You can fly into it and taxi the proper taxiways to parking at Gates 1, 2 or 3. Taxiways go to GA Hangers too.

Will Put Together

I will put together the package and upload it here. I am looking forward to flying a Delta CRJ from KMSP which is the regular schedule for Delta to and from KRHI. the link is below"

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=113&id=29171
    Last edited by tgycgijoes; April 21st, 2022 at 11:36.

An Update

I had a PM from one of our members who downloaded KRHI from the Warbirds Library that he really liked the airport (especially the terminal) but would like to see static aircraft parked around it. I used to do that but some others don't LIKE to have static aircraft scenery so I am going to do what I have done at other airports and create an ai aircraft bgl that is from real life flights and destinations and add it as an update. If you want to use it you can or not that way. Watch for the download link I will post here.

Working On It When

I was working on the ai bgl and checking it out at the airport. The Fedex Feeders will be on the apron by the FBO which is the Fedex station there. Its supposed to be a nice shade of gray siding like the photo above and when I open it its RED! I checked out the airport all the way through with hanger after hanger for no conflicts and did not realize that the FBO siding and the Terminal Roofing in Sketchup were the same "material 2". You don't get to open two buildings in MDCx and unless you highlight the pieces individually in Sketchup you aren't aware of any conflicts at least I'm not. Maybe if I went to SKETCHUP SCHOOL I might know how but I don't. Anyway, I just finished fixing the problem of the airport so here is a link to two new folders (scenery and texture) to replace in KRHI. Just delete the two in your sim Addon Scenery and copy/paste these two there and there should be no problems at least there wasn't a few moments ago on my FSX. ORBX BOB was happy walking around there. Now for the ai bgl. I have all the schedules done. They are compiled in AIFP3. The Freightrunner Express C208s are in the simobjects airplane folder and AIFP3 says they are not. Since its almost 21:00 here I quit for tonight and will tackle it tomorrow. One catastrophe a night is enough LOL. Goodnight

Here is the link to the zip of the updated files:
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/bq3x8...t+FSX.zip/file

Checked This Out

Here is the link to the ai traffic package for KRHI Rhinelander Oneida Cty Airport to have aircraft on the ground and flight plans for them. I have included the BE-99 with permission and links to the other aircraft and scenery that is used. All of these flights were copied from Rhinelander Departures and Arrivals yesterday on Flightaware and two other sites for authenticity. They may not be flown in the future but for now they are accurate as possible. Enjoy them.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/9n96e...older.zip/file

The Windup

I think that this winds up this topic with the airport complete and the ai aircraft flight plan with a download. I am always available for a Private Message for anything about it you would like to share. Nothing in the wind at the moment and I am part of the G.A.S beta testing team so I am going to keep my schedule free so that as soon as Paul sends the first N3N to test I can get right to it.

Excellent job on the airport. I sent you a PM but also, sometime I'd like to hook up on TS to pick your brain on how you do some of the work I see in your models that I can't figure out, lol. I'm also ready for the G.A.S. N3N to arrive.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Members who have read this thread: 1