Bucks County, Pa. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bucks County, Pa.

Nice shot Sidler. Interesting that you have something I don't any more (smoke from the BBQ). For some reason mine became more like the smoke after a bomb went off than the light white smoke you have.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Thanks Ed ........I pretty much have all your awsom scenery!

Thanks Ed great scenery as always.
    "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses". - Elwood
    Learn more about the mission of the Collings Foundation here - www.collingsfoundation.org
    Collings Foundation Facebook page - http://www.facebook.com/collings.foundation

Produce Stand

When do they start sellin' 'maters at the stand behind the house next to the BBQ? LOL!

A perfect airport for GAS's upcoming N3N.

Quote Originally Posted by monk1 View Post
    A perfect airport for GAS's upcoming N3N.
    Yes, that was my reasoning as well. An historic airfield that caters to Classic Bi-Planes.

Current System Specs:

9N1 to KDMW

I set up a flight from here on Skyvector Sectional for a nice short flight less than an hour earlier this afternoon avoiding any airspace VFR. This is the CR1 Beech Twin D18 downloaded free now. Really a great aircraft to fly. Took off from Rwy 7 on the TERPZ7 RNAV Departure. This is in FSX(A) and IMO it looks as great as it does in P3D Ed did such a good job. AIRNAV lists the Runway 7/25 and Displaced Threshold marked with white tires. Here is a shot just before takeoff.

I installed this scenery today and all looks OK - grass runway showed fine, at first.

Then I discovered in one section a bit of a dip in elevation. Ran Orbx AEC correction tool. The result was that airport had no more dip and was all on one level, but unfortunately my grass runway was now replaced by asphalt. I attribute this appearance of the asphalt runway most likely due to Orbx Vector now being active and placing default runway textures in a higher priority than those included with the scenery addon. So by having addon airports at the top of the list in the scenery library will cause FSX to read and show everything the addon has - except the airport reference altitude and the sim will always display runways and taxiways at the first reference altitude it reads for a given ICAO code, meaning the one with the lowest display priority. So for those running Orbx Vector, the airport reference altitude files for a given addon should be placed into the Scenery\World\scenery folder as this folder's files will be read first.

Perhaps Holger Sandmann's quote 1/2 way down this page will explain this better :
    https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/th...h-orbx.449957/
    Cheers, MZee ...

W11, Ryzen 9 7950X3D, GeForce RTX 4090 AERO OC, ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming, G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30 AMD EXPO 32GB (2), Kraken Z73 360mm, Lian Li UniFan SL120 V2 (10), Samsung 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe 2TB (4), MEG Ai1300P, Lian Li O11D XL, Logitech Z906 5.1, T16000M FCS HOTAS, Xbox Controller, Acer Nitro XV282K 4K UHD LED.

All white "Arctic" build.

Quote Originally Posted by MZee1960 View Post
    I installed this scenery today and all looks OK - grass runway showed fine, at first.
    Then I discovered in one section a bit of a dip in elevation. Ran Orbx AEC correction tool. The result was that airport had no more dip and was all on one level
    Yes, I addressed that in my readme

. . . . .but unfortunately my grass runway was now replaced by asphalt. I attribute this appearance of the asphalt runway most likely due to Orbx Vector now being active and placing default runway textures in a higher priority than those included with the scenery addon. So by having addon airports at the top of the list in the scenery library will cause FSX to read and show everything the addon has - except the airport reference altitude and the sim will always display runways and taxiways at the first reference altitude it reads for a given ICAO code, meaning the one with the lowest display priority. So for those running Orbx Vector, the airport reference altitude files for a given addon should be placed into the Scenery\World\scenery folder as this folder's files will be read first.

Perhaps Holger Sandmann's quote 1/2 way down this page will explain this better :
    I may have you confused with another SOH member but isn't this a recurring problem you have with my scenery? It sounds familiar!
    Anyway, again, I may be incorrect, but it has been my understanding that as long as I simply modify a default airport in ADE (not change the airport elevation), that an elevation file is not required in the scenery/world/scenery folder.

Also, Orbx Central provides a way to set an insertion point for where all Orbx products can be placed (basically below all addon scenery). If that's done I don't see any way that Vector could force an asphalt runway to override a grass runway that sits above it.

Is anyone else reading this having this problem?

Current System Specs:

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Anyway, again, I may be incorrect, but it has been my understanding that as long as I simply modify a default airport in ADE (not change the airport elevation), that an elevation file is not required in the scenery/world/scenery folder.

Also, Orbx Central provides a way to set an insertion point for where all Orbx products can be placed (basically below all addon scenery). If that's done I don't see any way that Vector could force an asphalt runway to override a grass runway that sits above it.
    Hi Ed,

I have a lot of your scenery and everything runs as intended. Some scenery, unfortunately, shows these asphalt runways although I wished your original grass runway textures showed for better authenticity. I had all along suspected my REX textures were responsible, until I downloaded Buck's County and found out the grass runway showed before the Vector AEC tool was used. Once the elevation for entire airfield was corrected, unfortunately an asphalt runway now showed in place of grass. Googling for a solution brought me to a post over at FS Developer which pointed toward Orbx Vector as the most possible cause :

The thread discusses scenery anomalies (bleed through) in FSX/P3D. Scenery library order, exclusion files (rectangles), and elevations as they relate to the use of flattens/G-Polys are mentioned. Holger's quote in post #12 and Gary's statement in post #17 essentially summarize what may be at the root of the bleed through issue for Orbx users, in their professional opinion.

I am not experienced in this field of scenery design and simply linked the post here hoping it would be of some use to someone..... I certainly can't make heads/tails of it, lol !

Sure, grass would be nicer, but I am perfectly fine with the scenery as it currently shows on my system and I am grateful to have it a part of my scenery library as yet another fun destination in the virtual world.
    Cheers, MZee ...

W11, Ryzen 9 7950X3D, GeForce RTX 4090 AERO OC, ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming, G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30 AMD EXPO 32GB (2), Kraken Z73 360mm, Lian Li UniFan SL120 V2 (10), Samsung 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe 2TB (4), MEG Ai1300P, Lian Li O11D XL, Logitech Z906 5.1, T16000M FCS HOTAS, Xbox Controller, Acer Nitro XV282K 4K UHD LED.

. . . . .
    The thread discusses scenery anomalies (bleed through) in FSX/P3D. Scenery library order, exclusion files (rectangles), and elevations as they relate to the use of flattens/G-Polys are mentioned. Holger's quote in post #12 and Gary's statement in post #17 essentially summarize what may be at the root of the bleed through issue for Orbx users, in their professional opinion. . . . . .
    I am as far from a professional scenery designer as one can get but since I made no change to the default elevation and (yes, I did use a flatten generated in ADE) have yet to hear from anyone else using Orbx and Global Vector who has this same anomaly, I will hold off agreeing with the Holger/GaryGB statement for now. I want to see if this is a widespread problem with my scenery before caving to their deduction.

Current System Specs:

I use the same Orbx products as Ed and I see no anomolies in this Scenery in FSX, except one: the old tires bordering the runways appear to display "x-ray" images of the tires. Not enough to bother me in any way. I have not installed the enhansements that Ed added recently....not sure how to do it.

Ed, once again you've managed to capture to 'flavor' of an airfield so well! I say this based on the screenshots, as unfortunately I don't have FSX/P3D installed at the moment. I grew up near Doylestown, PA...right down the road from Van Sant. On a nice spring/summer day, the place really is filled with glider and assorted GA activity, as well as the odd BBQ or picnic - just as depicted. It's a lovely little slice of relaxed aviation nirvana in an equally beautiful part of Bucks County. Well done!

An interesting article from Smithsonian about the field. It's from 2005 but Van Sant is essentially a place where time stands still...
    The People and Planes of Van Sant | Air & Space Magazine| Smithsonian Magazine
    -Mark

Quote Originally Posted by downwind View Post
    I use the same Orbx products as Ed and I see no anomalies in this Scenery in FSX, except one: the old tires bordering the runways appear to display "x-ray" images of the tires. Not enough to bother me in any way. I have not installed the enhancements that Ed added recently....not sure how to do it.
    I have the same problem with the tires but I have been unable to find a good reason for why they seem to flip-flop from transparent to solid. The textures are solid, no alpha channel is present and just a simple conversion to a bgl so I'm at a loss.

As for the enhancements. . .There should be a readme included, but basically the bgl's go in the scenery folder and dds files in the texture folder. . .if you're asked to overwrite just click "OK". That should be it.

Current System Specs:

Quote Originally Posted by downwind View Post
    I use the same Orbx products as Ed and I see no anomolies in this Scenery in FSX, except one: the old tires bordering the runways appear to display "x-ray" images of the tires. Not enough to bother me in any way. I have not installed the enhansements that Ed added recently....not sure how to do it.
    Hi, just a quick side note ....

I have most of Orbx addons and also REX Essentials for textures. I have checked for duplicate ADE files for the airports concerned and never found any. For many years, I was always looking at REX as being responsible for my runway dilemma and now I'm finding more to suggest it's Orbx Vector and Orbx textures. It seems when I play around with airport elevations on Vector or disable some bgl files in Vector I am noticing 'flickers' of the scenery as it was intended - ie. the grass airstrip :
    https://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforu...=1#post1217031

I saw the grass strip at Buck's County as well, but it was before I ran the airport elevation correction tool in Vector.
    Funny though, in Eagle Field V2, White Birch Airfield I show the entire airfield area as grass.

Having the asphalt instead of grass is no longer an issue for me in these sceneries.
    The takeaway for me from all of this is that sometimes addons, although they 'improve' some scenery, can also alter other scenery - in unpopular ways.
    Cheers, MZee ...

As You Can See

I use FSX Acceleration from Disks and have been doing so for quite a while now. As you can see from my post with the D18 all my grass is as nice as fsx makes it. I own quite a lot of ORBX but because of one problem or another for me, I have uninstalled all of it except KACK Nantucket Airfield. No Global, no Vector or North America and none of the free airfields on my system. That is my choice. I use REX SkyForce or FSXWX for real weather. I have a 5 yr old laptop with Windows 7 64bit and Intel HD Graphics card --8GB RAM. Nothing fancy in today's world of "gaming" and Falcon's scenery has always been no problems on my system including all the Autogen he engineered for us on my KASH Airport addon last year. Now, that said, all the flight simulators in my experience and listening here and on FS Developers to others have problems especially the new MSFS which keeps being updated constantly by them. If there aren't any problems why keep engineering updates? ??? My "tuppence".

Quote Originally Posted by sidler View Post
    Prepar3D v5+

Screenshot (23) by Richard Couture, on Flickr
    Sure wish I knew how you got the bbq smoke to work. I have the basic and the update installed in P3DV5.3
    I only have one animated guy in front of a gray SUV that will wave at you as you taxi by.

Quote Originally Posted by sidler View Post
    Prepar3D v5+

Screenshot (25) by Richard Couture, on Flickr

Now I don't see any BBQ smoke -what happened? And it looks like you have extra gear next to that Piper. I don't see that either.

Members who have read this thread: 0