Splash for TOW1

Thread: Splash for TOW1

Splash for TOW1

An alternative splash screen for TOW1

If you want to use it, download it and save it as a 24-bit BMP called splash24b.bmp and replace the file with the same name in the main TOW directory.

Is there a splash_notext.bmp?

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

Workin' on it! Trying to nail down its display curiosities.

I've discovered that the quality of the 'no text' version can be enhanced in the width, but not the height. The latter must remain at 600. So I'm working up concepts at 1920x1080, then squashing them to 1920x600 for use and the results are definitely an improvement over the stretched 800x600 option, although quality is still lost in the 'squashing'. I'm toying with concepts to try and avoid said loss of quality being obvious, ranging from something like the above to just a nice color photo. Screenshots work but they really lose quality in 16-bit. The work continues!

What happens if you set ScaleToScreen="No" in the dlgsplash.xml and dlgsplash2.xml?
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

I don't know, but I'm sure as hell going to find out! Thanks, this was the kind of 'lead' I was hoping for.

In the meantime, here's an improved version. I cleaned up the language at the bottom to read a little smoother:

Curiouser and curiouser!

First off, in the dlgsplash XML files, changing the Clippable value seems to have no effect. On to the ScaleToScreen value:

1920x1080 splash.bmp + ScaleToScreen=No (Top is cut off)

1920x1080 splash.bmp + ScaleToScreen=Yes (Image is shifted down so the bottom is cut off)

1920x600 splash.bmp + ScaleToScreen=No (Whole thing appears at the bottom of the screen)

1920x600 splash.bmp + ScaleToScreen=Yes (Image is stretched vertically so it fills screen properly as I've planned for the stretching)

I would also point out that in the black regions in the first three above, things go a bit wonky in game (notice the green artifacts) and some shimmering goes on.

So, regrettably, I'm back where I started, with some quality improvement possible but achieved by some very odd means! Thanks anyway Major, it was worth a shot!

So I am curious to know how you did the splash screen with text without a no text version to start with. That is how I have always done it.

To be honest, I've never understood the value/need for the 'notext' versions of the splash screen. I've created them when I've made my own just in case there's some use of them that I'm not aware of, but as far as I've ever been able to tell, sphalsh24b.bmp is the intro, and splash.bmp gets used while the live sim GUI is loading (if you have that enabled), and if you don't, it's simply the background of the GUI.

For the record, the above is not what I'm planning for splash.bmp. I built it at 800x600 so enlarging it is not my preference. I'm toying with other ideas.

I always imagined one starts with a no text image before adding the text. I also do use the notext when I start up, and for making a screen for missions builder by adding other text.

As not everyone's on FB, I'm posting this here too:

Soliciting input! Below is the splash that I've worked up for TOW. Note: The German stuff on the right is just air raid related, not revolting Nazi ideology crap. However, the poster in the middle does have a swastika on it which for the moment, I've 'torn off' (probably needs to be torn more actually). However, does anyone have any ideas for a somewhat 3D object that might be on a wall that I could possibly use to obscure it? I'd like to have a more 3D object on the right (like the Underground sign on the left) if I can make it work. If not, the torn look will have to do!

Is this an alternative, or addition to your first one? Personally I like the first one, but the more choices the better!

In addition to. I have found no way to have the initial splash screen (splash24b.bmp) display in anything other than 800x600.

By contrast, the new one is designed as the secondary splash screen (splash.bmp) that serves as the background when the airfield animation is not enabled.

That said, I could rework the 'desktop' splash24b graphic to enlarge it, making both 800x600 and 1920x1080 versions for the two different splash situations/aspect ratios and use it throughout the TOW1 load & GUI, then repurpose the new one as the TOW2 splashes (replacing the posters & signs on the British side as the Blitz would no longer be relevant). Thoughts?

Sounds interesting and I see no reason for not having several alternatives.

OK the. I'll work up different aspect ratio versions of both, using the first one exclusively for TOW1, and the new one (with alterations to remove Blitz references) for TOW2.

Major references for TOW II
    Hamburg Firestorm
    Peenemude
    Berlin raids Nov 43-March 44
    Neurenburg end March 44
    BC 8 Group Pathfinders

For final approval for TOW1! If anyone notices something anachronistic, please say so. I've replaced everything with new copies to be sharper and made some creative changes such as a clearer Luftwaffe wings vs RAF wings motif and crew photos on both sides.

Here's the initial load version at 4:3 aspect ratio:

And here's the 16:9 aspect ratio secondary load/in-game GUI (when you have the active world GUI turned off):

Note: These are not at their actual sizes so please don't try to use them yet!

Looking good. I assume you will upload here when done?

Absolutely, once I get all my 'display' ducks in a row! I want to explain the aspect ratio thing clearly. I may do a little more experimentation to see if the GUI can display the wider aspect ratio one properly, along the lines of Major's suggestion.

No luck in getting around the 600 pixel height limit. Oh well, the increase in the width still makes a major quality improvement.

Regrettably, the iconic 'St Paul's Survives' photo has to go. For whatever reason, the 16-bit requirement for the GUI photo does a real number on the sky in it when viewed in game. I already have some other candidates!

It's been a long time since I'm played with this...

dlgsplash2.xml plays first and on my system runs for about 12 seconds
    It expects a 4:3 ratio 16 bit bmp image that it will always resize down to a 800 x 600 patch positioned over the center of my desktop.
    I've tried a variety of size and positioning tricks using black borders, but the final resolution always became an issue.
    I do have one install using 1024 x 768 that it shrinks down but still looks good.
    <Dialog Image="common_screens\splash.bmp" ScaleToScreen="Yes" ZOrder="Background" Clippable="No"/>

It then switches to dlgsplash.xml and runs for a similar length of time before opening the in game UI
    This file can be any size and shape that matches your screen resolution, and does not need to be a 16 bit bmp file.
    I've customized this for all of my installs using in game screenshots.
    <Dialog Image="common_screens\splash.jpg" ScaleToScreen="No" ZOrder="Background" Clippable="No" Position="Center"/>
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Members who have read this thread: 0