RAF Windrush ready for testing
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RAF Windrush ready for testing

RAF Windrush ready for testing

Huub; Shessi, Ian, (and anyone else) could you take a look at this please

Ian, might need you to work your magic with SBuilder again please.

Attachment 86286

RAF Windrush

My second foray into the world of ez scenery and AFCAD; RAF Windrush another of the relief landing grounds for the schools at Little Risington, Kidlington & South Cerney
    its situated alongside the main A40 road between Oxford and Cheltenham, if you are driving along that way the cafe known as the Cotswold Outpost is probably on the site of the Officers accommodations; but the huts are long gone and some houses and the cafe are here now.

History
    --------

Opened in June 1940; and closed in 1945; initially it was a RLG for Chipping Norton ; but as time progressed it too became a satellite of the schools at South Cerney and Little Rissington
    the runways (as at Chipping Norton) were initially grass and from 1942 were sommerfield tracking. It had one T type hangar and 8 blister hangars; although I have not put all the latter in as there is no accurate plan I've been able to find. After closure the land was returned to the Lord Sherborne ; who commenced a demolition and hide project demolishing the nearly 100 small buildings and planting their sites with trees to hide the remains; the Midland Parachute club restored the tower and used the airfield (basing a BN Islander there) between 1992-97
    it is now owned by the National trust; https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/lod...tle-of-britain

A memorial at the church in Windrush village describes Sgt Pilot Bruce Hancock RAFVR who died on 18 August 1940 when downing a German Heinkel bomber by ramming it with his unarmed training Avro Anson aircraft.

ttfn

Pete

Thx Pete...will do.

Cheers

Shessi

Pete,

I found some minor issues.

When you start on the "default"runway, you're in the middle of the airfield but not on a runway.

The exclusion file, could use a small extension.

But I think all objects are there.

Cheers,
    Huub

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    Pete,

I found some minor issues.

When you start on the "default"runway, you're in the middle of the airfield but not on a runway.

The exclusion file, could use a small extension.

But I think all objects are there.

Cheers,
    Huub
    Thanks Huub, I'll get on it..which corner of the field needs the extra exclusion?

Pete

A ground poly may solve that, give me a day or so and i'll knock one up

Here you go; modified AFCAD now with start locations ; and enlarged exclude
    let me know if this works --->

Attachment 86315

ttfn

Pete

Better late than never , problems solved, here's your ground poly---
    Attached Files Attached Files

Peta.

As you can see below I didn't find anything odd anymore. However I noticed in some barrack there is still visible light during the night! Its time somebody explains them what "black out" means.....

Cheers,
    Huub

And I'm still wondering what the texture's name is which Ian uses as background.....

No mystery, comes up as "irrigated grassland with no autogen" in SBuilder. i use it for pretty much all my grass airfields,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails t.jpg  

Hi Ian.

Obviously we speak about different things. You setting "irrigated grassland" will call for a set of textures in the main texture folder. I'm trying to find out what these textures are called.
    Below you see an image which perhaps illustrates what I try to say. There is a difference what you see in AFCAD and which textures are called in FS2004.

Cheers,
    Huub

I see what you mean, although Afcad and ADE9 will draw their texture's from FS9/texture. SBuilder which is my prefer'd program for airfield base poly's draws from probably FS9/scenery/world/texture folder, i think thats where "irrigated grassland" lurks

Thanks for your answer Ian. I already went through the scenery/world/texture folder yesterday evening, but was not to locate the files. But there are 4.623 files in this folder so I could easily have missed it. I also hate to mess around with textures int his folder as it will for sure cause unexpected effects elsewhere.

Cheers,
    Huub

Icon5

Gents,
    I'm not sure, but if you put a texture folder in that particular scenery's folder will it 'look or call' on that folder for the correct texture first, before going to look in the main Fs9 tex or world texture folders?

Quite a bit of Fs9 looks at immediate folders first before going to others, if it does, then just have the correct texture in a texture folder there.

Cheers

Shessi

That's a good hint Now I just need to find the texture, and the one I want, Put the one I want in the texture folder from the particular scenery and rename it with the name of the one I want to replace.......

Simple, now if I only know which two of the 4.623 file I'm looking for

Cheers,
    Huub

I think your sort of right Shessi, a bgl in your scenery will look for the texture at its closest source ie your scenery/texture folder. problem is you need to know what texture and if you have Golden wings for example, which change's a lot of base texture's in Scenery/world/ect then your not going to get very far. you need to look in an vanilla install of FS9, like Huub say's, its only around 4000 to look through

Erm chaps, wot about this?

In the Chipping Norton thread.....

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...=1#post1283005

Ttfn

Pete

Evenin' all.

Don't often chip in on the FS9 forum but I think I have something of use.

The description Huub refers to sounds like a Land class description like those used in Russell Dirk's EZ Landclass..

The attached pdf is a guide I created to help me navigate around the CFS2 world texture folder when using EZ Landclass2, but it may be of some use for FS9 users too.

I note the only description of grassland, no autogen cross-refers to the 006... series of texture bitmaps...

Hope this is useful.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cfs2_Tropical_landclass b series bmp allocation.pdf  

UT,
    Many thanks for that golden nugget of info, very interesting and useful....hmmmm

BTW, have you other bmp allocation tables for various landclasses?

Cheers

Shessi

Sorry to this in your RAF Windrush thread Pete. But I hope we can all learn something more about the mysteries of FS2004 from this discussion

This is what I did so far. I created a texture folder inside the RAF Windrush folder and dropped the textures in from an alternative scenery/world/texture folder, which contains different ground textures (I think Golden Wings 3 textures by Lynn and Bill Lyons. To keep things traceable I did this is groups of 25 textures.
    But either Shessi's theory doesn't work, or I did something wrong as the dark "woodlands texture" stayed where it was. The texture is the same in all seasons which hopefully narrows down the number of textures

For Chipping Norton Ian made an alternative .bgl file, which looks really nice in my install, but is very flat in Ian's install. And with this alternative .bgl file the texture changes with the seasons.

Thanks for the document UncleTgt. I think textures in FS9 indeed work in a similar way, although numbers don't seem to fit at first sight (but still studying).

Cheers,
    Huub

S'ok Huub, I'm learning stuff as we go along...

ttfn

Pete

For Chipping Norton Ian made an alternative .bgl file, which looks really nice in my install, but is very flat in Ian's install. And with this alternative .bgl file the texture changes with the seasons.
    The strange thing is, i used the same SBuilder value for both scenery's

PS, to settle my curiosity, ive downloaded Golden Wings 3, and installed it into a dummy folder on desktop to look over the file structure. The texture your after is definitely in Scenery/World/texture somewhere

I haven't much time this weekend and i seem to have lost image tool from my SDK's, but maybe there's a batch converter to change those texture's from DXT to 16 bit 565 or whatever, and then you can breeze through those 4000

Once you get that one sorted I have this waiting in the wings..

RAF Bibury; a station that flipped roles from training to fighter to training again, home to Hurricanes' of 87 Sqn for a while between late1940 and late 41/early 42; this airfield had night lighting on its sommerfield tracking runways

Attachment 86445

ttfn

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by ian elliot View Post
    The strange thing is, i used the same SBuilder value for both scenery's
    You originally did both with the same set, however for Chipping Norton you did one with an alternative set as well. See this post (post #21 from the thread):

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...=1#post1283005

Cheers,
    Huub

Quote Originally Posted by Shessi View Post
    UT,
    Many thanks for that golden nugget of info, very interesting and useful....hmmmm

BTW, have you other bmp allocation tables for various landclasses?

Cheers

Shessi
    Mark, this document is the list of all landclasses (according to EZ-Landclass 2), I just carried out some experiments to see which bitmaps were displayed when these landclass numbers were used within the SWPTO area in CFS 2 ....

Members who have read this thread: 0